OK, so how much does a F800GS really weigh?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by earthroamer, Feb 20, 2009.

1. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    Although I admit that the actual weight may not be as important as say how the weight feels, I'm an old backpacker and I weigh everything. Just another bit of information. I'm interested in "real world" weights, even with the beer:D.
  2. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    How is it not as accurate as the scale's accuracy? C'mon now, this is 3rd-day of high school physics stuff here. If the motorcycle stays reasonably level, it doesn't matter whether you weigh each end separately or simultaneously, the motorcycle doesn't know the difference.

- Mark
  3. earthroamer

Oddometer:
    Define accurate. The method is accurate. Pure science. How accurate your scales are is another item. You keep calling them "human scales", they don't know that they are human scales. They may or may not be accurate. It's pretty easy to check, just weigh an item that you think you know the weight of. Like your body. Since, in my case this about 200# and my bike is going to be in the 200-250 per wheel range, I can make judgment about the accuracy. I know people that have done this and compared with accurate floor scales and have been very close. If you don't trust it, don't use it. Take what the manufacturer gives you.
  4. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm just saying I wouldn't trust a $20 Wal-Mart people-weighing scale to put out an accurate measurement of a freaking motorcycle. Those scales aren't exactly "calibrated." I know my math and physics.

You guys are the ones that are getting your undies in a bunch about a few pounds here and there. If so, then why would you trust a scale not calibrated and designed to measure the weight of vehicles?

At the end of the day, for me, I could care less about what the bike weighs. It's all about center of gravity and even weight distribution. These are the things that make for a great ride. And the F800GS has great controllability and balance.
  5. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then stop smoking-screening your original position. You originally stated that the only way to accurately weigh a motorcycle was to have something that could weigh the entire bike, which is totally BS. Weighing each wheel separately is fine. I guess you now agree. Now you're talking about $20 Wal-Mart scales. Obviously, if you have inaccurate scales, you're not going to get good results. But the method of weighing each end of the motorcycle separately is fine.

On scale accuracy, modern digital "people scales" today are generally pretty accurate - someone else mentioned 1%-2% and I believe this is about right if not a little worst case. I don't have a hard reference, but organizations like Consumer Reports test this sort of gear regularly and generally report numbers like this. So if you have a relatively new "people scale" and you show reasonable care in your weighing, there is no reason you can't get numbers that are pretty darn accurate. There is nothing inherently wrong with this methodology. No, it's not traceable to the National Bureau of Standards and it's not suitable for doing orbital computations for a Mars probe. But I'd trust it a lot more than any number generated by the mfg.

Getting back to the F800GS, BMW publishes a 392-lb dry weight and a 455-lb wet weight. The first thing that immediately strikes you is that these numbers are not consistent - it is impossible for 4-gallons of fuel, three quarts of oil, a couple quarts of coolant, and a half-qt of fork oil to weigh 63-lbs. Assuming standard weights for these fluids, you come up with perhaps 35-lbs, leaving 28-lbs unaccounted for. Even pulling the battery would only get you another 13-lbs or so. This tells you immediately that the dry weight is a fictitious number that is impossible to reproduce. There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that this dry weight is completely made up by BMW to sell bikes. It's what they think consumers might believe.

Is the 455-lb number accurate for a full-fueled and read-to-ride bike that a consumer could buy? I don't know. MCN weighed their F800GS at about 490-lbs and there have been other owner reports of weights in this range. I've never seen anyone weigh a F800GS and get near 455-lbs. Some of this may be due to options on test bikes and customer bikes - you can be reasonably sure that BMW's weight doesn't include anything that is optional. We'd need more data to put a finer point on it. But I'd never trust the mfgs numbers implicitly - they've fibbed in the past and at the very least, they're fibbing with their "dry weight" now.

- Mark
  6. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't believe no one has asked the really important question.

If I ride my bike to Mars, with the gravitational foces there being different than Earth combined with the atmospheric pressure differences acting on the fluids and considering the average surface temperature there, how much will my F800GS weigh? :confused What about if I stop on the moon first?

:D :D :D
  7. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Dry weight means zilch, so why even give it credence?
    Well...without any body hair, no blood, less the brain, no finger or toe nails...he weighs 'X'. Fck....:D

Ready-to-Ride with one measured gallon of fuel....done, over. :deal
  8. earthroamer

Oddometer:
    I agree. Dry weight means absolutely nothing. I can say anything for dry weight because it can't be reproduced, and yet until just recently, this was all manufacturers would give us.

If you are not concerned with how much your bike weighs, move on. This thread isn't for you. Just quit telling me that I don't need this information. Geez. I can't believe I'm getting so much flak for just asking if anyone knows how much their bike weighs.
  9. DesertRat

DesertRat Dehydrated Adventurer

Oddometer:
    green and 1/2!:deal

mike
  10. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mars has very a similar gravity to the earth. Besides, you can always turn the switch on the bottom of your walmart scales to 'MARS' for better accuacy. If you havent got this switch, then you have been ripped-off :deal
  11. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

Because the weight of a human is right in the sweet spot of accuracy for scales designed to weigh, um, humans. Which coincidentally is very close to 1/2 the weight of both the English, and African 800GS.

Scales designed to weigh things in the range of thousands (or tens of thousands) of pounds are bound to be much less accurate in the range of an unladen motorcycle.

If your 800GS floats, however, it should probably be burned. :deal

Pretty easy to determine if you weigh one axle at a time. Kind of hard if the whole thing is sitting on a pallet scale.

YSMV (your sparrows may vary)
  12. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Anyone know how much a pound of feathers weigh, on different scales, calibrated for feathers and the other for bikes?
  13. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everyone knows feathers are much lighter than a pound.
  14. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't really give two sh$ts how much my bike weighs. It's got good balance and feels a lot less than 455lbs! That's the point I was trying to make. So have fun weighing your bikes and doing mathematical calculations, meanwhile, I'll be out on the trail.:ricky

Case closed for me... Take care!
  15. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    :pope

Has it been blessed! Then obviously you need to get it some en-"light"-en-ment or its definitely to heavy. :lol3
  16. rocker59

rocker59 diplomatico di moto

Oddometer:
    Every one of your posts in this thread so far have been :topes

You wanna back up any of your bullshite with some links?

Jeebus!!! You must be trolling... Surely you don't believe this stuff...
  17. rocker59

Oddometer:
    Then why are you trolling in this thread ??? :rolleyes
  18. rocker59

Oddometer:
    Hold a pound sack of feathers in one hand.

Hold a pound sack of nails in the other hand.

Drop them.

Which one will hit the ground first?

:lol3
  19. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm... so what is you favorite GS colour?

xxx
  20. earthroamer

Oddometer:
    How about a 1 lb sack of nails and 100 lb sack of nails?