OK, so how much does a F800GS really weigh?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by earthroamer, Feb 20, 2009.

1. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Wow, looks like the feather comment got some additional wit and humor into the thread...my job here is done.
  2. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Citation Needed.
  3. rolo tomassi

rolo tomassi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 Wow, I'm agreeing on something with Mark! Cool! :D
  4. rolo tomassi

Oddometer:

Yeah, I was talking with somebody @ BMW North America too; He did not feel they needed to honor their own TSB on replacing split fuel cells for the 650GS.

We talked it over for a few months, then they told us our bike really was not the model year that the title said it was. Then I let our lawyer do the talking with BMW. Guess what? We got a new fuel cell that did not leak gasoline. (This was over last summer/fall, losing the better part of the riding season.)

So, I don't put any stock in what BMW says. Yup, I'd trust a "human scale" before BMW NA. I never weighed the 650, but them I don't ride it either.

So, a more relevant point; How much do the 800s bags weigh and is that in the equation yet?
  5. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice opinion.:snore
  6. rolo tomassi

Oddometer:
    Nope, that ain't opinion, old dry drunked one, that be fact. Jump off the wagon and go tie one on so the rest of us can have some fun; lent, right?

:freaky

" The EU says that BMW na has to listen to teh NHSTA...blablahblah"
  7. The Griz

Oddometer:
    :snore Dude, I'm in my mid twenties. You're the old fart here. And actually, all of your psycho-babble has been your very strong, jaded opinion.

And once AGAIN, you make no sense. Lent?? Huh?? Tie one on??? You're on crack!
  8. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Citation Needed.
  9. The Griz

Oddometer:
    I'm not going to post my friend at BMW Motorrad NA's name and phone number on here for you. Sorry. You'll just have to live with the fact that I might know what I'm talking about! :nod
  10. OBJMS33

OBJMS33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keyword "might".
  11. rocker59

rocker59 diplomatico di moto

Oddometer:
    :lol3

+1
  12. nevermind

nevermind over it.

Oddometer:
    Did anybody ever really answer the OP's question and put an fully equipped F800GS on the scales and report back?
  13. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    I did. I was loaded up a bit more than most, though.
  14. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    So far, I think we have 560# w/beer and 485# without. Neither one close to the 455# that Griz tells us we should accept without question because BMW will never lie to us and we are too dumb and inept to measure ourselves.
  15. The Griz

Oddometer:
    I never said any of that. You can obviously weigh your bike with whatever you want, and trust it if you want. All I was simply saying is that I myself don't trust weighing my bike on such a small, uncalibrated scale. Also, I could care less how much the F800GS weighs, because it rides like it's way lighter! Also, I was only stating what my close friend at BMW Motorrad NA told me. I trust him, since I was friends with him way before he was ever an employee there. I didn't mean to sound condescending at all.
  16. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree that it feels lighter when riding it. However when backing it up a slight incline or waking it up from a nap it weighs a lot!! I'm going to throw mine on a pallet scale when I next see one....
  17. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    My mentor and all around guru told me (more than once) to never ask a question unless knowing the answer would have an impact on what I might do in the future.

"What would you do differently if you knew the answer?" - He was fond of saying.
  18. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    :photog
  19. DrDale

DrDale Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    78 posts in answer to a question, and only two - from earthroamer - 485# and johngil - 560# partially loaded.

It would be nice to have an actual real world weight, more for the point of comparision. Seems like comparing dry weights doesn't really matter, because we can't ride our bikes "dry." Too bad there isn't a "standard" method to compare.
  20. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    This is kinda what interests me here. I've ridden a R1200GS and thought "this is so well balanced and nimble" and then I dropped it (twice). Fortunately there was a hiker walking by the second time as I was on a little incline and couldn't get that pig up. Sorry guys, I'm old and I'm limited on what I can pick up...and seem to have to do that a lot.

Just kidding, Griz. It's motorbikes. It's all fun.