OK, so how much does a F800GS really weigh?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by earthroamer, Feb 20, 2009.

1. springfish

springfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's just call it 500 lbs.

Done and done.
  2. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    There is, fill 'er up and weigh it. I don't have the F800GS, but I have access to a scale. HUGE truck scale that can weigh me which is close enough.
  3. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think we're looping in this thread. As discussed earlier, truck scales, designed to weigh upwards of 100,000 lbs, are extremely inaccurate weighing 500 lbs

- Mark
  4. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    I know. Fun isn't it?
  5. OBJMS33

OBJMS33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was just pokin ya Griz. :evil Your point is understood.
  6. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I get where ya'll are coming from too. :beer
  7. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    No need for that: you just need to post some evidence other than heresy about Federal standards for published motorcycle weights. I'm really interested in knowing, since Suzuki has just switched from publishing dry weights to "curb" weights on their website, as one example. But curb weight is not defined.

Perhaps your omniscient friend can give you the Federal Statute.
  8. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to getting my bike on a proper scale. Anyhow, with a full tank of gas, and all the crash bars and other armor, luggage racks and whatever, she weighed in at a hefty 506 lbs. That's about what it feels like when you're picking it up from a nap in a mud puddle too. I always wondered how the 'spec' weight was so low...
  9. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:

I bet the ladies running the BMW scales like to fudge the numbers just a bit... Just like real life! :D
  10. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Since ALL F800GS bikes weigh the same according to the BMW official specs, then they are probably weighing a non-abs bike, no other options included as well. That will fudge the numbers enough...

11. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    That about corresponds with Cycle Worlds test weight in about the same trim.
  12. Xskydiver

Xskydiver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know where this idea came from. I used to work in a lab that calibrated and certified scales of various sizes. (although not truck scales) In order to be certified a scale is calibrated throughout it's range. In order for a scale to be able to tell the difference between 80,000lbs and 80,001lbs it needs to be able to tell the difference between 2lbs and 3lbs. The only variable is how finely incremented the scale is. A scale incremented in pounds will not register partial pounds until the next full pound.
  13. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    This doesn't make sense. A full platform truck scale will have a typical accuracy of +/- 100 lb to begin with, and this spec will have a range of measurement that starts at 1K lbs or more. That's the spec. The idea that because the scale has a readout that shows lbs, that it is accurate to within a lb is absurd.

- Mark
  14. Claudellvonhop

Claudellvonhop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My VersaHaul trailer hitch mount is rated to 500#... We've seen wet 8GS weights referenced here between ~480# - 560#. What do you think folks? Who here would strap their 8GS w/ crashbars, luggage racks, et al to this thing for Interstate travel over two mountain passes? :ear

I have to think that the rating on this thing is conservative... Any mech engineers care to share their opinion/insight?

[​IMG]
  15. Claudellvonhop

Oddometer:
    In case you're wondering - the trail pig (TW200) pictured on the rack is ~275#'s.
  16. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    If that's only mounted to the hitch, no I would not. It's a big ass bike.
  17. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Class II hitch is rated for 3500 lbs tow weight, Class III is 5000, and usually 10-15% of that in tongue weight.
    That equals, at the good end, 750 lbs of tongue weight, which is good, right?
    Yeah, except that that weight is measured at the point where the ball sits. When you add a bike hauler like that, or one of those baskets that mount to your reciever hitch, you have to consider that you are adding lever to the weight (unless you have a REALLY skinny bike!).
    You'd probably always be fine for normal highway driving, but hit some rough stuff, and you could end up having the bike mount torque your hitch, or rear frame. I saw a suburban once on the side of the road with one of those baskets, still in the reciever hitch, with the back end of the basket dragging the ground:eek1
    Those are great for a small dirt bike, but I think you'd be pushing it with an F8. Whether you'd be pushing it TOO much, is your call.:deal
  18. Claudellvonhop

Oddometer:
    Much appreciated, Money... That's what I was looking for.
  19. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have (had) the VersaHauler and used it effectively with a barebones KLR without a problem. The added weight of the F800GS was way too much for my vehicle...but mostly the loading of the heavier F800gs (with Jesse racks) was way to difficult...decided to just use a trailer...

If you try it I'd recommend you check that insurance covers a spill from the VHauler.
  20. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
    If thats another reciever on the back of the versahaul to hitch a trailer to it I would not be worried. As long as you don't have a trailer on it.