OK, so how much does a F800GS really weigh?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by earthroamer, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I

Oddometer:
    No, I'm talking about the reciever on the vehicle.

At 500ish pounds, plus the weight of the versahauler itself, you are close to max or over on rated tongue weight, which, as I stated, is 750 BEST CASE, because that weight is way frurther back than a trailer ball.
    Now, that being said, industry standard for weight ratings (lifting devices, anyway) is to test 2X what the rated load is. So there IS cushion, sure, and like I said, you'd probably be fine. Add rough bumps, though, which magnify the torque effect, and you might not be.
    Me, I'd buy a ramp.
  2. v8toilet

v8toilet Nothing to see here.

Oddometer:
    As previously stated probaly not the best idea. You'd be over the tongue weight and the handling of your truck would suffer adversely with that kind of weight acting a big lever on your truck frame. I think you should sell your f8 for really cheap and get a 690e for the versahualing...:deal
  3. RobStar

RobStar Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer:
    Whether this is helpful or relevant my F800GS farkled out with pretty much everything you'd expect INCLUDING camping gear worthy of a week-long trip weighed:

630 lbs wet - 840 lbs with me on it in full kit as shown.

This was a paid weighing on a Cat Certified Scale at a truck stop.

Here's a shot of my bike on the same trip as the weigh-in and our Death Valley Welcoming Committee sending you some love!

RobStar

[​IMG]
  4. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    triplets? from a different mother? :lol3
  5. upweekis

upweekis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't worry about the Versa Haul, but the hitch is another story.:deal
  6. mtm100

mtm100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I weigh all my bikes on a good bathroom scale and have then checked
    several at NH Speedway scales to confirm. The bathroom scales
    get very close within a pound or two. Here are a few of my measured weights.

09 F800GS 469 lbs full tank
    08 R1200GS 530 lbs 1/2 tank
    07 Aprilia SXV 292 lbs full tank
    08 KTM 690 SMC 333 lbs full tank
    07 Ducati Hypermotard 421 lbs 1/2 tank
    06 Husky SM610 318 lbs full tank
  7. RobStar

RobStar Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer:
    No, as a group this is our combined IQ and the only way we know how to count to three :freaky
  8. Roonie

Roonie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen someone do it with their 800 and with a motorcycle hauler. However they added straps going from the bottom of the hauler up over the bike and tied to the roof rack to take some of the weight (not sure if it went all the way over to the front of the car frame or just to the roof rack)? It was a suburban. If it were me I would go all the way to the car frame in front with extra straps taking some of the downward force off the hitch. However where it does a 90 degree angle on your roof I would imagine it to bend the metal roof there.

I would do it if it was an emergency but otherwise I would use a trailer..... to much force being applied to the hitch over bumps etc. I use a hitch hauler all the time with my Honda xr400 but it is also 260 lbs. I have driven half way across the country with the motorcycle on the back on a hitch hauler with no problems.
  9. Pete O Static

Pete O Static Adventure Seeker

Oddometer:
    If you are worried the F8GS may feel a little too heavy, just pump about 35 lbs of helium into the tires. That should lighten her up a bit!:super
  10. Claudellvonhop

Claudellvonhop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I checked the hitch rating on my truck and it's 7200#'s. Given Money's 10% hitch tounge rule, the tounge capacity should be ~720#'s.

The numbers are still too close for comfort, but it's very tempting:evil
  11. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:

I'll agree with those weights. So I gotta ask. Was that just the stock F800 will a topped off tank, oil, etc. WITHOUT farkles? Or had you added anything to it yet?

Oh and 469 vs 455 reported... a gallon of gas weight 6lbs give or take. A quart of oil is 2lbs, etc. If I was a mfg and I was weighing a bike for sale I'd put in the min oil, gas, coolant, fork oil, etc. If you trip all and gas is right at min not max that could get to the 14 lbs or close to it.

Oh and BTW - different tires weigh massively different amounts. For example the difference between the Michelin Pilot Pure (90/10 track/street tire) and the Michelin Pilot 2CT (80/20 track/street) tire is 2lbs per tire. Pure weights less. That is 4 lbs per set.
  12. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    then your info would be as useful as tbd like dry weight is.?
  13. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heya Bayner- still have your Woodies wheels- it was maybe this thread from back in the day...

https://advrider.com/f/threads/actual-800-gs-weight.1058447/