Okanagan ADV RIDERS

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CRFAFRICA, May 17, 2017.

1. CRFAFRICA

CRFAFRICA Motorcycle riding is my best medicine

Oddometer:
    Hello Ladies and Gentlemens from Okanagan. I just moved from a ugly Western rain forest to a beautiful SUNNY HOT Kelowna with my Family and i would love to meet other ADV rider.
    If your from Kelowna, West Kelowna, Peachland, Summerland, Penticton and Vernon and if you are interested to explore and share please sign up.
    Cheers
  2. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome. Lots of riders in the area. Quite a few of us connect on the Okanagan Dual Sport and Adventure FB page, but feel free to post up here too if you have something specific in mind.
  3. CRFAFRICA

CRFAFRICA Motorcycle riding is my best medicine

Oddometer:
    Thanks KD, already looked FB and Okanagan Trail Rider website and didn't see so many events has been organized in the past, Wednesday night rides at Bear Creek are fine but it`s not what i`m looking for.
    I would love to meet other riders with explorer attitude, something like C.Boorman and E.Mcgregor thing just Kelowna based for a couple hours during the week or weekend ride or even couple days ride would be fine too.
  4. BritGuy

BritGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Based in Vernon and happy to ride road and Forest Service Road type trails. I don't bounce very well anymore! Ride a 1290 SA for the road and a 690 Enduro for off road. Any day can be turned into a riding day....Been here for 3 years now, put on 60,000km in 2 seasons on and off road and I just love it! I hope you settle in quickly.
  5. RyLaN

RyLaN 14 F800 GSA

Oddometer:
    Ola! Moved up end of Sept from Abbotsford and don't miss it AT ALL. Love the Okanagan. I'm in WK, up for rides and such, as well. Cheers
    I just took my wife from Kelowna to Penticton through Chute Lake 2 days ago, nice ride.
  6. Brucefromhart

Brucefromhart n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there,
    Just saw this, too late for this year, my dr is off the road end of this week, drop me a line, next year we can go for some rides. I like longer rides, and do a tues night ride starting in spring. Would love to get back to he chilcotin next summer for a multi day ride.
    Cheers
    Bruc
  7. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
    Give me a shout next year, I have a pretty good gps collection/experience with gravel backroads in the southern part of BC.
    1.0_Bear Glacier.jpg Hedley Switchbacks.jpg
    [​IMG]
  8. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All you need is company. Having two (or more) people to ride with greatly improves confidence.
    I82l8 and 'Bob' like this.
  9. BigCrank

BigCrank Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Throwing my name out there for dual sport rides. Once spring rolls around again.
  10. AllAroundAus

AllAroundAus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Townsville, Australia - North east coast.
    Hi. Until this morning, i was looking forward to a 2 week organised riding adventure in BC at the end of July next year. We were to ship our bikes from Australia and were to tackle mostly dirt back roads and some trails. Unfortunately that was cancelled this morning due to a lack of numbers. My wife and I were really looking forward to it. My wife wont get on the bike with me but the plan was to have a few of the partners come along and follow in hire cars, carrying our luggage etc. Any how, now I am looking at trying to get at least one other couple to join me for the following. Hire bikes in Vancouver. I was looking at hiring an adventure bike. We can't take them off paved roads but if we could put together a route that took us on some "less travelled" paved roads that were fun to ride and took us to some of the "best" that BC has to offer as far as scenery and such, then it might still be worth going. I have to admit, I have done very little road riding. I normally do multi-day rides on my DR650 avoiding the black top and looking for tracks and trails. Given you have put 60,000km on your bikes in 2 seasons I am guessing you might be a good person to ask the best way to put together a good ride. I would love to hear from you if you could help.
  11. AllAroundAus

Oddometer:
    This is the route we were meant to be going on.

Attached Files:

12. BritGuy

BritGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, been hosting some Kiwi friends over the last couple of weeks for some early season skiing. I will take a look at your route and consider some options. You will have no trouble filling two weeks and that is just from the part of BC I know! Are you thinking of camping or motels? I will get back to you within 48 hours.
  13. AllAroundAus

Oddometer:
    Hi. Thanks for looking at that with me. I am interested in camping but i think the others will want motels. Cheers.
  14. AllAroundAus

Oddometer:
    Hi. Thanks for looking at that with me. I am interested in camping but i think the others will want motels. Cheers
  15. BritGuy

BritGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, I don’t have any map making software so I will use road numbers and town’s & cities you will see posted. I have done some of the roads, but not all. I know the areas around Pemberton, Cache Creek, Kaslo, Nakusp, Vernon, Peachland and Princeton pretty well.

The roads are a mixture of dual carrageway and plenty of reasonably new secondary roads with lots of bends
  16. BritGuy

BritGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. BritGuy

BritGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From Vancouver, take Highway 99, known as the Sea to Sky heading for Whistler.
    Head for Pemberton and north of Whistler take Highway 99, Duffy Lake Road.
    Head for Lilooet on Highway 99.
    At Lilooet, head for Cache Creek and head north on Highway 97 for 93 Mile.
    Turn onto Highway 24 and head for Little Fort
    At Little Fort turn north onto Highway 5 toward Tete Jaune Cache.
    At Tete Jaune Cache turn onto Highway 93, the Icefield Parkway.
    Head toward Radium Hotsprings on Highway 93
    Then head south on Highway 95 to Cranbrook.
    Past Cranbrook you are looking for Highway 3 toward Creston.
    At Creston, head north on Highway 3A toward Kootney Bay and take the (free) ferry and then head north to Kaslo on Highway 31.
    At Kaslo, take Highway 31A to New Denver.
    At New Denver take Highway 6 to Nakusp and stay on Highway 6 to Faquier and take the (free) ferry and head toward Vernon. The road from Faquier to Vernon through Cherryville and Lumby is my personal favourite.
    At Vernon, take highway 97 toward Kelowna and Peachland and turn onto the 3A at Kaleden.
    Then take Highway 3 toward Keremeos and Princeton
    Stay on Highway 3 through Princeton and head for Hope.

You then have the drag back highway 1 to Vancouver. This route will take you through mountain passes, across and around lakes and mainly small towns with good food, pubs and accommodation options.

I have posted this up as I am sure that others will have suggestions for other routes, but this is what I would do if I was in your position. The further north you go in BC, the more sparcesly populated it gets. Summers can get very hot (30o+ is pretty usual) and it is likely to be dry in the most, although on some of the higher mountain passes, weather can change quickly. Forest fires can also be a problem, but they are pretty good at posting diversions.

I am probably bias, but BC has some of the best motorcycling roads I have ridden.
  18. AllAroundAus

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    I am onto Google Maps now
  19. AllAroundAus

Oddometer:
  20. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
    You do realize that this entire route is on pavement ........and hence depending on your timing you will have to deal with traffic. There are some good gravel Forest Service Roads along this route which will get you off pavement for a few sections without any real issues other than some dust possibly - check here: http://advrider.com/index.php?forums/gps-tracks-alaska-canada.43/

The section from Vernon down to Kaleden can be a traffic nightmare on a summer weekend or during daily rush times. Timing is going to be important to enjoy that section.

Also, if you can avoid the traffic mess of the Lower Mainland - do it!................this route back to Vancouver is much more enjoyable - Hwy 6 across the Cascades is a really nice road ........and you get three really nice ferry trips thru the gulf islands.
    Capture1.JPG