1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Oklahoma ADV Riders BS Thread

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Mr. Guy, Jan 2, 2009.

1. imxman

imxman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had the slip-joint/expanding sleeve solution on bikes and never had an issue with it moving around or removing it later. As long as the handguards are well anchored at the inboard mount, most of the force you are worried about on the outer end is lateral from the handguard to the handlebar. Forces inline with the expanding sleeve are just not critical. IMHO, go with the slip joint/expansion sleeve in the threaded size you need.
  2. Farscape

Farscape I'm eat up with this shit, it's a disease...

Oddometer:
    Without taking one of these slip joint/expansion sleeves off a set of handguards, where can I buy just that peice?
  3. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may have some in a bin that i can give you. Let me check.
  4. Longrodokie

Longrodokie Prepared Chris

Oddometer:
  5. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took a great ride last week, just had to post a couple pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And met these guys....
    Hardcore, there were about 20 of them.

[​IMG]
  6. Longrodokie

Longrodokie Prepared Chris

Oddometer:
    Takes some big cajones to do long rides on a Cushman.... Upon closer inspection, not Cushmans WTF? I sooooo want one
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  7. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Those are all Cushman Eagles, well they started life as Cushmans. I think there was one with a Cushman engine, the rest had Briggs & Straton, I talked to one of them and he said it was like the Briggs was made for those scooters, bolts right in. I'm sure some mods to get drive to the ground.
    I think they all had disk brakes also. Some of them had made trikes of them. They are a club in Texas that meets up somewhere once a month and rides, they trailered to Big Bend and were riding over 100 miles a day around the area. At about 40 mph. They did have a chase vehicle just in case.
    Bunch of cool old guys having fun, the way we're supposed to! :ricky Except I prefer a GSA but that's just details. :webers

8. MightyManfred

MightyManfred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eastern Oklahoma is a great place to ride. Many miles of good curvy roads and close to southern MO and western AR.
    TM1(SS) and Shawnee Bill like this.
  9. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    KTM just released the 2019 690 Enduro, it has some bells and whistles, mostly fluff, and an updated motor. Basically the same bike as my Husky 701, except it has a newer version of my motor.

The word is that they are selling them before they ever get to the dealers so I made the mistake last week of stopping by Ajax on the off chance they might have one to look at, probably spoken for but I could look.

Well it turns out they had one that hadn't yet been claimed. Interesting but I went back home. But then when I checked again Tuesday it was still there looking for a home. I felt kind of sorry for it so it ended up in my garage beside my 701.

That can't last so the 2016 Husky 701 with about 6,500 miles on it needs a new home. A good deal to someone close. Someone make me an offer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

$499.00 :D I can pick it up tomorrow.
    Shawnee Bill likes this.
  11. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    That's a starting point, how about 11,500 and I deliver first thing tomorrow morning?
    Dirt2007 likes this.
  12. TM1(SS)

TM1(SS) Matthew 24:36, Ride today, ride now :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should check out Stergios Gogos, better known as WorldVespa, around the world on a Vespa P200,much of it two-up with his lovely wife and ALL the gear !!
  13. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which one of you was in Broken Arrow this afternoon?

[​IMG]
    DirtyDog likes this.
  14. MightyManfred

MightyManfred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride to eat! 29 Jun.

TWTexans sponsors a ride to eat each month. This month, we'll meet at http://crowscafe.net/ for lunch and meeting folks. Address is 113 W 4th St, Anna, TX 75409 and I plan on arriving there (with a colleague from work) around 11 AM.

This is the northern most such event for those folk. I went on several rides when I lived in Houston.
  15. BillsR100

BillsR100 Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer:
    Since this is a "BS" thread, I'll ask this question here.....
    Central Oklahoma, north of Edmond.
    Is anyone else hearing loud booms? :dunno:confused
    I've been hearing them off and on, like every other week or so, they are just booms somewhere off in the distance and although they aren't that loud they are strong enough to literally rattle the windows. Single booms, not rumbling like thunder, windows rattle, and the garage door with it's large surface area also rattles a lot which is kinda unsettling when I'm in the garage with the garage doors closed.
    They typically happen in clusters, I am hearing them right now, about 30 secs to a minute or more apart.
    I googled and found nothing other than lots of older reports of single loud booms, these are single booms, they happen in clusters.
    Am I alone in hearing these? Something somewhere is causing some seriously strong booms. Googling comes up with no answers.:scratch
  16. TM1(SS)

TM1(SS) Matthew 24:36, Ride today, ride now :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was happening in Tulsa too, turned out to be discarded metal tanks in the crusher at a metal recycling facility
  17. cwmattox

cwmattox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe Tannerite? Are you hearing any gunshots?
  18. BillsR100

BillsR100 Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer:
    No gun shots heard, these booms seem far enough away we wouldn't hear the gun shot causing the booms, and if it was tannerite it would be illegal cause its so strong. We live in a rural area where everyone around goes nuts with fireworks, the big stuff, these aren't fireworks. The closest thing I've ever heard like this was sonic booms which I heard many times while out in the desert in southern california. These really seem like sonic booms cause of the strength of the sound waves rattling things. Sonic booms typically occur in pairs, boom-BOOM, these are just Boom.
    I talked to my sister nearby, she hears the booms also, so it's not just me...whew!

From 2005...
    https://www.koco.com/article/what-is-the-source-of-the-loud-booms-in-central-oklahoma/4301932
  19. OKDQ

OKDQ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are they doing any roadwork near by? A while back a wrecking crew as breaking up a concrete roadway using some sort of dead blow apparatus on a tractor. It produced a very low but penetrating sound.
  20. zodi

zodi Turned it off, then on again.

Oddometer:
    Any of you ever went through tagging a dirtbike before? I got a heck of a deal on a 2007 DRZ250, but I want to put a tag on it. Anyone who's gone through it in Oklahoma, was it simple, or was it a hassle?