1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Oklahoma ADV Riders BS Thread

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Mr. Guy, Jan 2, 2009.

1. onthetrail

onthetrail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey OK Advriders!

My DR650 is quite sad. You see, I did the TAT from VA to Stillwater, OK and had to put the bike in storage 3 months back! :(

I've done the TAT back in 2017 but prefer not to go it alone (safety). I'd like to come back do a 5-10 day ride on the TAT from Stillwater, OK to Trinidad, CO (or further). Anyone up for a ride? I'd be an adventure and I'm willing to cover motel/hotel costs.

Thanks for considering! PM me anytime. I'm free October 7-16, October 21-Nov 4.
  2. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any locals doing the Sooner Adventure Ride
    Next weekend? I believe it begins at Seba Station Motorcycle Museum. Info on Facebook!
    I did it a few years ago and had a great time.
  3. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is obviously just one data point, but I thought I'd share because it sort of validates the reviews I had heard.
    Right now, I have ~7,400 miles on a set of Motoz Tractionator GPS on my 950ADV. Reviews were claiming 8,000 miles on these and I was skeptical. I mounted the rear in the "off-road" biased configuration (it can be mounted two ways). I live on a gravel road, therefore every ride I take includes several miles of wheel-spinning gravel. They have performed great in all conditions except mud, which is understandable.

The rear still has a bit of life in it and the front isn't cupped or worn unevenly. Looks like the front could probably go 10,000 miles, but I'll swap them as a pair. I've consistently kept them at 30-34psi.

Here are the specs on the tires. https://motoz.com.au/product/tractionator-gps/ Worth the cost, IMHO, and I think I'll be buying them again.:*sip*

@TMoore @Longrodokie @Dirt2007
    The Toyman and OKDQ like this.
  4. OKDQ

OKDQ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting, I’m looking for a 50/50 set of tires for my Super Tenere and these are high on my list. One of my priorities is good grip on wet blacktop & pavement, what’s your experience with these tires in wet on road conditions?

5. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    I try to avoid riding in the rain, but I don't recall any hydroplaning or traction issues. :dunno
  6. Longrodokie

Longrodokie Prepared Chris

Oddometer:

I have had great performance from mine on wet pavement.

I've also had similar mileage from mine as dirtydog. 2 sets so far with 7-8k on the rear and 10-11k on the front on a 990 ridden hard.

Great on pavement, gravel, packed dirt shallow packed sand, and actually acceptable performance in shallow loose sand and a little bit of mud.

Highly recomend the tractionator ADV for a 50/50.
    DirtyDog and OKDQ like this.
  7. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wet pavement performance is important now that for the last four years or so, it's like Seattle around here.
    okiegtrider likes this.
  8. OKDQ

OKDQ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like DirtyDog I like to avoid tiding in the rain, but on extended trips I seem to always hit rain at some point. I’ve had a couple of scary moments with K60’s and therefore my reason for wanting to know how well a tire does on wet pavement.
    okiegtrider and DirtyDog like this.
  9. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since Friday was nice and the weekend forecast sucked, I went for a short afternoon ride. I got off work at noon and rode around east of Broken Arrow and out to the navigational channel.

This is the waterfall on Adams Creek. This property is soon to be a subdivision so I thought I'd get in one last look at it before it's all fenced off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Progress, I guess.

[​IMG]

I rode from there out to the navigational channel and the old Channel View Public Access Area. No longer a park but still mostly accessible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw a bobcat cross the road but I couldn't get my camera out in time. I did find a little frog jumping around. I'm not sure I've ever seen one out this far into December.

[​IMG]

I followed a few short trails through the woods over to the river.

[​IMG]

I ran out of daylight and rode home in the cold darkness.
  10. roadracer10

roadracer10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jay, looks like a good ride. What rack is that on the L
    Thanks JB
  11. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Flatland Racing, I'm happy with it.
  12. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
  13. KiloGraham

KiloGraham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am on my 2nd set of GPS'on my DR.
    1st set did UTBDR, COBDR, and MABDR all leaving from OKC and slabing it to the start of the BDR with some curvy roads in between.

I also use the bike to follow my daughter at Draper, Stillwater 500, and other riding areas.

They have been mounted in the 50/50 direction and do just fine in the single track or roads.

Got 9,000 out of the first set and probably could have gotten another 4k out of the front but replaced them as a pair for the 2020 riding season.

They are awesome tires.
    DirtyDog likes this.
  14. Vinduroman

Vinduroman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a rider that's lived in OK for almost all of the past 40 years (short stint in NW AR for about 4 years)...

While you FF'ers are having to work, slave, ride the recliner, whatever... I'm off to ride all day again.

Retirement is great!! (Sucks to be you!!)

:lol3

V-Man
  15. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm off today. Just checked my messages: nope, no invite.
    Shawnee Bill and FatBob like this.
  16. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ouch!
  17. Vinduroman

Oddometer:
    Jay:

Didn't have a clue you were off. I know you still work, so I tend to think that you'll contact me when you've got some time and want to hook up.

HOWEVER... check out my reply over at RDS. We need to do that.

All:

Rode mostly in AR today. Seeing as I live near the AR border, I tend to do that a lot.

Damp, cold up on the ridge, and the low hanging clouds/moisture made for a somber tone to the riding... but I dig riding in such conditions at times. Today was one of them. It was epic.

122719.jpg

V-man
    okiegtrider and Dirt2007 like this.
  18. Mr. Guy

Mr. Guy Ubernoob

Oddometer:
    Hi All,
    Been off the bike for several years following back surgery, getting back into in the last few months. Kinda surprised I still remember my password. I'm so happy to see this thread is still going strong.

Thanks.
    woodzrider, Newner and okiegtrider like this.
  19. Vinduroman

Oddometer:
    Mr. Guy:

Welcome back to the land of the weird and obnoxious!

V-man
    woodzrider likes this.
  20. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome back. Like you, I am off due to a recent back surgery( # 5)and am now medically retired.
    I’ll be off the bike for at least five more months.
    Just hoping to be able to get back on the bike.
    Just be careful while riding. I know for me at least, I don’t ride as fast or hard since my original
    surgery and I always have that “what if” in the back of my mind that I fall and tweak or break some hardware. But I still ride and that’s the big
    Issue here. Maybe someday we can hook up for a ride together in the near future. Have fun and be safe......