"Old" DR650 - any good? value?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Doc_Busa, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Doc_Busa

Doc_Busa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys:

A friend from work is relocating and looking to dump his 1995 DR650. It has 4400 miles and looks very clean - just the normal scratches. He has not rode it is years and it will not start (no shock there). I trust this guy 100% and the bike looks very clean. He also has a new knobby back tire for it as the stock street tire is still on it and clearly needs replaced.

I have a 2005 DR650 which is great, and it would be nice to have a "cheap spare" if I have not much invested...

Any thoughts? I don't anything about these earlier bikes. I will try to attach a picture of his ride. I would appreciate some ideas on what is a "great" price for this bike.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    That thing looks pretty clean, but a lot of people like the electric start on the newer ones.Still it's so clean and if it runs good once it starts, a good deal would be around1500.00 or so. Just a guess.
  3. racer 07

racer 07 Lock & Load

Oddometer:
    I think the 95 is electric start but don't know for sure. Looks pretty clean. Check the fuel tank for rust, look at a spark plug,even though its been sitting it'll tell you something. May need a carb rebuild. Spin the motor without the plug & check for compression. It looks like its been well taken care of. If it checks out pretty good with that mileage I would guess $1200-$1500. Just my $0.02:1drink
  4. Doc_Busa

Doc_Busa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. She is an electric start. I hope to have a look at it this weekend. I will post up the results.

Cheers,

Doc
  5. tslewisz

tslewisz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a '95 and , yes, it's electric start, too. Though it was in running condition when I bought it, it wasn't as cosmetically nice as that one and has more miles. I paid $1750 for it earlier this year. Since then:

brake lines and pads
    jet kit
    slipon (came with the bike)
    chain and sprockets
    Eibach fork springs and new seals
    Acerbis 6.6 gal tank (stocker was leaking, plus it looks cool)
    fat bars (YZ high bend on generic adapters)
    LED turn siggies
    fenderectomy
    DRZ250 tail light

I think that's all. :huh
  6. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I thought the electric starter began in 1996, my bad. That would make it much more desirable to my beat up old body. That is a really clean DR. Mine had been sitting for two years and had live spiders all over under the seat and here and there, the battery would barely start it and it ran out of gas while i was test ridng it. Bought it anyways and it works great now.
  7. toolfan

toolfan Broken Hearted

Oddometer:
    I've got a '95 as well. Good solid bike.
    I paid $2k for mine, I think. A little over a year ago.
    But it ran.
    Not running, i wouldn't pay much more than $1k.
    Keep in mind, not very many parts interchange between the 95 and the 05.

But, it might just need a new battery and a carb cleaning...
  8. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    I owned a 91 that I traded in for a 97, way back when.
    Biggest problem I had with the old model WASN'T with kick starting it.
    I kept her in a well tuned state and she'd fire up on the first kick every time.
    The biggest problem with the older engine, was that sometimes she would start running hot and blow out her own fire and just die, in traffic or hard slow trail riding.......untill I put in a jet kit to richen up the mixture and cool things down.

Never had that problem with my 97 so she stayed stock for the longest while in the carb. area.
    F.W.I.W. I do miss that old tank of a 91. I always got a kick (pun intended!) out of the looks I got when starting her up.
  9. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:

I would not pay a dime more than 1500.... that's just me.
    be patient and get a 97 or higher for 1900........