Old Forty Mile Town-Site

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by akdave, Jan 23, 2019.

1. akdave

akdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you have ever wondered what is at the Old Forty Mile Town-site off the Top of the world highway here is a video I shot August 2018. It is 11 minutes long.

2. KKORO

KKORO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tell us you got there.

KKORO
  3. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing that, we got to the asbestos mine at Clinton Creek but a rain storm came through and we did not chance the road to 40 mile, now I see I need to go back there. Looks pretty peaceful, what time of year was this?
  4. akdave

akdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took this video in August 2018 with with a DJI Phantom 3 Standard sUAS (Drone). Forty Mile town was established in 1886 near the beginning of the gold rush, It was active before Dawson City. But once Dawson City grew big it declined and died. It is now a ghost town protected by the Yukon government. It is about 21-22 miles down Clinton Creek Road off the Top of The World Highway (If you cross the bridge over the Forty Mile River you went too far) turn right before the bridge at the sign (a rather crude home-made sign), then another 2 miles to the Yukon River. From there it's about a 1 mile rough root covered four wheeler trail in to the old town-site.
    Off the Top of the World Highway Clinton Creek Road is about 36 miles from Dawson City or 30 miles from the US border. Last I looked one direction the sign was down. If you get into trouble down there, there are people living just across the Forty mile bridge on Clinton Creek road. There is a brand new construction camp just past the Forty mile bridge on the left run by Earl and Sandy, They live another mile up Clinton Creek Road on the left and across Clinton Creek another 3/4 mile. They are super nice people and can help you in a pinch. Earl has an extensive shop there and can fix or build just about anything. He rode the D2D poker run several years ago on a Harley.
    You can ride up Clinton Creek Rd. another 10 miles to the abandoned Clinton Creek asbestos mine, but the mine site is posted as off limits and gated. The Yukon government is currently doing remediation work on the Asbestos mine hence the construction camp.
  5. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer:
    Dave, could you get your bike down to the campsite, or do they prevent you from going that far? Cool history there. I put info on a book on your other thread regarding Fortymile.
  6. akdave

akdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes you can get a bike down to the campsite area. I wouldn't try it with anything too big though. No big Harley's or Goldwings. Any adventure or dualsport bike should be fine. I should add that there is a slough to cross on the trail in to Old Forty Mile. A couple years ago they replaced the 10 inch plank we used to have to ride across. There is now a proper 4 wheeler bridge. The plank crossing was dangerous back then. A riding buddy of mine went in the drink upside-down. He suffered a concussion and messed up the loaner bike I let him use. It was a KLR so no problem fixing it.
    Beezer likes this.
  7. beamertwin

beamertwin Paul

Oddometer:
    I’ve been in there several times. Great to see the restoration work being completed on the buildings.
    Worth the trip down the road.
    Beezer likes this.
  8. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    11 minutes well spent. Very cool. :clap:clap
  9. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    I have ridden back in to Forty Mile. Really enjoyed it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also picked up one of their 32 page booklets
    [​IMG]
  10. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    Yup, a must do side trip.
    I was down to 40 Mile a few years back, and was glad I made the trip out. The caretakers were awesome. They put a pot of coffee on and my buddy and I sat and talked with one of them for an hour or so. It has quite the interesting history.
    djroszina likes this.