Old guy from Canada goes to church

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by canadasax, Sep 9, 2019.

1. canadasax

canadasax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A while back I heard about this church that was converted into a "bed and breakfast".
    At the time I put it into the back of my mind as a place that would be interesting to have a look at.

Well, a couple of weeks ago it came back to the front of my mind, so, lets go!

[​IMG]

I phoned and made my reservation, and loaded up the 950, and we are off on another mini adventure.

I headed down hyway 33 from Kelowna BC and one of the first interesting sights was a burned out area from where a forest fire swept through in 2015 between Westbridge and Rock Creek.
    30 houses got burned down and hundreds of people had to evacuate.
    Four years later, it still has a surreal feel to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the next little towns (Actually it is Canada's smallest city) I came to was Greenwood.
    It used to be one of the main smelting and mining locations in the Boundary Country.
    I think that this will be one of the next areas that I spend time exploring around in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you turn right, right in the middle of Greenwood, you can climb the mountain and go through the old ghost town of Pheonix. It was a booming copper mining town from the late 1890's until 1919.
    I didn't spend anytime looking around, but I will also put that on the "to do "list.

[​IMG]

I headed down the other side of the mountain and came back onto hyway 3. On the map it looks like it might have been a short cut, but in reality, it was not.
    A few miles down the road you can see what remains of a Doukhobor village. From what I can find out, these buildings are from about 1912.

The Doukhobors are a religious group that left Russia in the late 1890's and many of them settled in the Grandforks area.

[​IMG]

Through Grandforks and Christina Lake and I started to head up Bonanza Pass or "the blueberry-paulson"

The elevation of this pass is just over 5000 feet and it has been known to give truck drivers a head ache in the wintertime.

I noticed a sign about 1/2 way up the pass!

[​IMG]

"I wonder"

A detour!! What can go wrong?

Well, my curiosity got the better of me, and off we went down the detour.

If I had continued on the hyway, I would have crossed the Paulson bridge. I guess this detour is for if there is ever a problem on the Paulson bridge?

The road was great. It dropped down into the bottom of the canyon and crossed the river/creek/stream and then climbed up the other side and came out on hyway 3 above the bridge.

[​IMG]

The road was paved, not great pavement, but it was paved.

[​IMG]
  2. canadasax

canadasax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Castlegar, Salmo, and then we came upon the town of Ymir.
    The townsite was laid out in 1897 and apparently it was booming for a while.
    There are still a couple of old Hotels from the late 1800's that you can still rent a room in. I have done that on a previous trip.

[​IMG]

And then I found my church

[​IMG]

Very Cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was all mine for two days.

I don't if it was the karma of being in a church or what it was, but I
    felt very relaxed and I slept like a baby in a very comfortable bed. (I had the choice of 5 beds to pick from).

[​IMG]

I can't say enough good things about my time at the church, so I am just going to let you experience it for yourself or a least check it out on google.

After a great nights sleep I decided I would ride down the old rail bed to Salmo for groceries the following day.
    This is a mixed use rail bed so I was legal doing this. (I checked)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a great time "at church" and I am planning on going back.
    There is so much to explore and experience right in my own back yard.

Thank you for coming to church with me.
    popscycle, Hannda, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Thanks for taking us along.
    Hannda likes this.
  4. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report and good info. Have you done the road out of Grand Forks, north along the Granby River? It's on my list, but not going solo!
    Hannda likes this.
  5. suzukinut

suzukinut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed the write up. Have been through a few of these places on pavement but looking forward to the dirt areas. Thanks for posting
  6. thadf

thadf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love the Greenwood saloon pic. Is that a nomad sitting out front?

Being catholic I especially enjoyed your accommodations as well.

Thanks for sharing!!
  7. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this!
  8. Booghotfoot

Booghotfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks a lot like the "Bunkhouse" in Dawson.