Old Guys with heavy bikes

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by ktmrandy, Jul 13, 2015.

1. ktmrandy

ktmrandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to know how you guys deal with getting old and can no longer pick up your bikes. Do you quit riding, get a smaller bike, ride with others?

I discovered I could not longer pick up my KTM 990 when I crashed on some ice and had to find some guys in a 4 wheel drive to help me. I since built a collapsible cherry picker I pack with me along with block and tackle. I crash every few months and ride by myself. I have thought about getting a smaller bike but they cannot do what the 990 can.

I would prefer that riders at least 50 years old reply. Youngsters will not understand what I am asking.
    Texas Aggie likes this.
  2. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 76-year old pal, Ted (on ADV somewhere) is a maniac rider but he's getting old. To make a SA ride, he recently swapped out his ST1300 because he claimed it was getting too heavy to pick up by himself.

I suggested a KLR or DR650 and off he went to the dealer.

He came back with a shiny V Strom he just couldn't resist.

He's gonna have a helluva time picking it up, especially with a full tank. But that's what he wants to do.

I'm sorry, what was the question?
  3. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I'm 60. If I am gonna do something hairy where the odds of a drop are pretty high, I ride with friends who will help me pick it up!
    Dewi and Texas Aggie like this.
  4. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    So far, I have been able to get mine back onto the wheels, but only because of good luck on how the bike was sitting after falling. But, I am increasingly careful of where I ride alone. If I expect to find any terrain that is actually Adventurous, I ride with others.

I have accepted that this bike is too big for someone of my size and age (skinny and 71,) but I will keep riding it as long as I feel that I am fit enough to walk for help. I mean, what else can I do? settle for less? :D
  5. XtreemLEE

XtreemLEE insignificant being...

Oddometer:
    I'm selling my s10 as soon as I can, it's too big...
  6. Unkgd

Unkgd Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mid 60's and can still pick it up by myself, but it is a 10 - 15 minute affair as I am prone to taking a few minutes rest afterwards!
    Probably more selective about when I take it off road. If I am going to be spending a lot of time in technical stuff, my 500 EXC is the weapon of choice.
    But if I am out traveling and want to go places offroad, the 990 still is a great bike to have. I just tend to go at bit slower pace than what I did in the past which seems to have reduced the amount of times it takes dirt naps now :-).
  7. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    I too built a "lift" out of a ratchet strap and 3 short telescoping sections of tent pole.
    The poles go in my backpack and the ratchet strap into my tool bag, when I ride solo.
    My dirt naps are rarely on flat ground, usually on the down slope, and I don't even ride a "heavy bike.
    :lol3
  8. Oldebonz

Oldebonz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 66,short legs,bad knees,back and shoulder,just finished my 2nd cross country trip,3500 mi each.I have decided to sell my 2012 990 Adv. and have done my last one. I still love riding dirt in Moab,Colorado,NM etc but have decided to just trailer out and use a home base ,do 2 or 3 day cloverleaf trips on my 640 LC4 with a tank bag and back pack. It sits taller but is easier to mount,dismount,pick up and really is much superior in the dirt than the 990.Think I'll get a 1290 SuperDuke (I can get on and off easily and control it at low speeds!),keep the 640 for once a year dual sport trips. Don't get me wrong,I love my 990,can't think of anything that can slab quickly and comfortably,ride dirt competently,and reliably and safely get me home!Gas stops,pee breaks are exercises in sheer terror getting on and off,so are U turns in the dirt,anything very slow.Faster is wonderful though. Past 2 times falling over at 0 mph had to have help to upright.Want to keep riding into the future but must plan ahead with the right bikes to make it possible and fun!
  9. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    That is about how long it took me on this one.

[​IMG]

This ground had only the slightest slope, but turning the bike 180 degrees made just enough difference to have success.

BTW, slow speeds are where I have the most trouble. The above pic was the result of a walking-speed u-turn.

Did I mention I also have short legs?
  10. krumgrinder

krumgrinder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Randy, how are you used to picking it up, up to now? I'm 54, but if I use the 'back to the seat, squat, and lift by standing up, I find I can still get the job done without risking cardiac arrest. :-) I've seen 125lb women pick up touring bikes like this, do you know the method I'm speaking of?
  11. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    I'm 62 and pretty much anything heavier than a Schwinn is too hard for me to pick up anymore. :lol3
  12. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    I guess I am a wimp. I have tried that with the 950, and the bike seems to be welded to the ground. I have seen vids of it being done with a GS, but of course they don't fall all the way over.

Maybe if a dug a hole to stand in? :D
  13. krumgrinder

krumgrinder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a knack to it, but if I could figure it out... :rofl Just like we are taught to pick up heavy objects using our legs, keeping our back straight- only with a bike, you are lifting somthing behind you. It works!

Edit to add: link to video demo'ing this.
  14. Unkgd

Unkgd Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have used the butt to seat lift method with a GS and it works great. As Mortimer mention - when I have tried it with my 990 it does not work. The 990 lies much flatter on the ground (I call it a 500 lb 2 x 4) and I cannot get my butt low enough for this technique to work.
    So it is a dead lift with the handle bars, hopefully from the uphill side!
  15. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    So, you are saying I should sell my KTM, and buy a GS? :D
  16. mtbtweety

mtbtweety Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you considered riding with bags? They raise the bike a bit if it ends up on it's side. Granted, there's the whole thing about being willing to be pinned under them.....
  17. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got lots of older friends now that are getting smaller and smaller bikes. I've just bought my next 'adventure' bike, a 690 Enduro.

Another friend created a 'jack' to start lifting a bike. He was a body man, so he used a 'monkey on a stick' jack head and a steel tube. I don't think you need to jack it all the way vertical, just get it about 45 deg so you can get under it.
  18. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    A buddy of mine went down with bags. For some reason he still had trouble picking up his bike.

[​IMG]
  19. David37

David37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTMRandy, I'm 58 and I'm still riding my 07 KTM 950 Super Enduro. From what you wrote, IMO I would sell your 990 and buy a KTM 690 not as good as your 990 but it is lighter and smaller.
  20. halfcab

halfcab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 61, 210 lbs and still able to pick my 990 up (for now) by using the "back to the seat" with no bags. BUT...I do carry a long ratchet strap just in case and hope it will be usefull.
    Sparky1994 likes this.