Old hand here, but not a Garmin Guru.....

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by Northstar Beemer, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
    Inmates -

In early May a buddy and I are flying into Salt Lake, renting 800GSs and riding down to Moab. We're looking to camp at the Moab KOA and do day loops into the surrounding area - someone told me there is good riding out there. ;-)

We're both decent riders, but at 64 and 70 we do recognize our physical and skill limitations. This is kinda a bucket list trip.

So now we're up to Navigation. On my 1200GSW I have the requisite Garmin Nav V, but also have a perfectly good Garmin 60CS...but I don't have the CD covering the Parks out West. (My computer also doesn't have a CD ROM drive but I can work around that).

On inspection, the Nav V on the 1200 looks like removing it and using it on the rental 800GS would appear to be pretty difficult - unless I'm mistaken.

So now I'm back to the 60CS....I note that there are countless tracks downloadable here - but are these overlays that require the Garmin National Parks Topo maps to be already installed?

'Sorry to appear to be a dunce, but Garmin has never struck me as being intuitive - and yet I keep buying them......

Thanks for any guidance.

Bryan
    Northstar Beemer
  2. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can get the free OSM maps to use in the 60.
    Here's a link - https://www.openmapchest.org/maps/united-states/
    Download for an SD card, unzip it, and follow these instructions -
    1. Unzip the map file that you downloaded from this site. You will have a file called gmapsupp.img.
    2. Insert your SD-card into your SD-card reader. If you don't have an SD-card reader you can connect your Garmin GPS to your computer with a USB cable. Make sure that the SD-card is in the GPS unit before you plug it into the computer.
    3. Open the SD-card with the file manager. If there isn't a folder on the SD-card called Garmin, create one.
    4. Copy the gmapsupp.img file into the Garmin folder on the SD-card. The folder name must begin with a capital "G".
    Or, you don't even need maps if you a using tracks...

Those are pretty big bikes for Moab, lots of tough technical riding there.
    Lots of cool roads to ride and things to see in Utah though!
  3. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also use OpenMapChest and it is great. It does have a few limitations though. 1-You have to download a whole country. 2-The maps are only available in one "type". 3 - If doing a big trip which crosses countries it won't route between countries. So, when I want smaller maps, or maps of various types like road, Topo, bicycle, or want to select a geography which can cross country boundaries I use http://extract.bbbike.org/. In the format you can select from the various types and then select on the map the area you want. Wait a bit and you get an email to download the file. Drag and drop on the Micro-SD card and you are good to go!

Joe