Old Men Ride Their Himmas

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by drdubb, Feb 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread was set up to aid Himalayan riders in connecting with one another and planning their adventures.
  2. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been thinking about a couple of rides on the Himma. I want to do the MABDR, but its been 5 years and 4 surgeries since I've taken a long trip. Its been 7 years since I took a trip with any off pavement. I am a little worried about my current abilities. I live in the Raleigh/Durham , NC area so I can be at the start of the MABDR in about 4 hours. I've thought about riding up to Damascus, spend a night there and then do section one the next day. I then could ride home, spend the night and ride home or spend the night and do section two, depending on how I feel. From riders I know that have done the trip, the first three sections may be the hardest. Lots of loose gravel. That would be a shake down trip this spring or early summer. If things go well, I would ride back up on a later date and finish the route. I probably wouldn't haul any camping gear and stay in motels. (maybe a tarp and blanket)

A second trip I'd like to do is the Smoky Mountain 500. I have a campground I like to frequent, Kickstand Lodge, that is just down the road from the Iron Horse, which is a SM500 stopover location. I would probably trailer to Kickstand, ride one leg and return on day one and ride the other leg and return on day two. Probably wouldn't do leg three, just depends on how it goes. By base camping, I wouldn't have to carry a bunch of gear while riding.
    WECSOG and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  3. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! :-)
  4. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just looking at the MABDR yesterday and thinking.... The whole trip may be a bit ambitious from home. But, I was considering taking the BRP up to the Damascus area, then taking the MABDR for the first three or maybe four sections, then either over, or down, to pick up Skyline Drive and the BRP for the return trip home. Or, who knows, depending on the timing and my condition by then, maybe just reverse the route.

One of the things I like about the SM500 is that it's a loop rather than a one route that takes me farther and farther from home to a point that I then have to get back from...

I'm currently in the beginning stages of planning a SM trip with my two cousins from Texas and myself. Will be trailering up to TWO, staying the night, then riding the loop CCW to return to TWO. Basically four nights with three days on the trail. As they both have smaller bikes; CRF230L and XT250, I plan to ride my XT225 for this trip. The whole reason I bought and built that bike was to make trips of this sort as kind of a "sighting" trip as the XT is easier to handle in trickier terrain. If all goes as expected though, I do plan to do it again on the Himma.

I need to look into Kickstand Lodge as well. I've never stayed there. Been by it a few times, and have heard good things. Was planning Ironhorse just because that's what was listed on the "official" route and wasn't sure of their proximity. Will investigate both now though, so thanks for that tip.

While I haven't ridden any of it yet, each leg is 160 miles and was intended to be a one section a day thing... I'm not sure, but your plan to do a leg round trip in a day may be a bit ambitious. And, even if possible that would be right at 640 miles to do two legs round trip and only 480 for the full loop. Unless of course you just mean manageable out and back portions of each leg... I had considered base camping out of TWO and doing something similar just to simplify and lighten things up a lot.

As far as camping, I know that TWO has cabins with two beds, as well as lodge rooms with up to three beds. And from what I can tell, the others have cabins as well. We're still debating on tent camping vs cabins for the same reason. Motels/cabins lessens the load considerably, and saves a lot of time. Would prefer to travel light and cabins eliminates the need for the tent, sleeping mat, etc. so could travel much lighter. We also discussed just basecamping at TWO and doing daily ride outs in the vicinity. This makes it a car camping trip which makes things much more comfortable with coolers, stove, food, tarps, etc, and allows us to ride without having to pack up and set up each morning and evening, as well as travel very light on our daytrips. Still in the discussion stage, but right now we're leaning toward the loop... tent vs cabins is still a debate too.

I was planning to do some basecamp riding out of TWO this past spring but covid hit about the time I was gearing up for it so that never happened. And while covid is still a "thing" the initial fear has subsided at least, so things have gotten a bit more normal so this spring IT'S ON! :D
  5. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I clicked on this expecting something about riding in Pakistan, Northern India, Nepal and Bhutan but I guess I got that wrong.
    Dirtmonkey8 likes this.
  6. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I suppose that it could be if you have/ride a Himalayan, or want to plan a trip to ride one in one of those places...:-)

It was started as an offshoot from a recent conversation in the Himalayan Owner's thread, but I suppose it's open to those that want to plan rides in other places as well... But, it's drdubb's thread, not mine...
  7. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didn't mean to mislead.
    Mark Manley likes this.
  8. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Randy, If your plans firm up...let me know.
  9. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Either way I can recommend those locations for riding your Enfields or any other bike for that matter.
  10. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    You realize not everyone knows “Himma” is a Royal Enfield motorcycle, and not obscure slang for one’s derrière... :kat

Following...
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  11. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following...
  12. FEG32

FEG32 Too old and fat for any of this.....

Oddometer:
    Present and following
  13. pineygroveshop

pineygroveshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm paying attention.
  14. Pomodoro

Pomodoro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Old man:yes, Ride: yes but KLX 250, Himma: not yet; waiting for the announcement/introduction of the 2021 model today (?) to see if that's going to be my next bike.
  15. Sea_Scout

Sea_Scout n00b

Oddometer:
    Any Himma riders in the Northern Virginia area, especially Prince William or Fairfax counties? I am newly retired and itching for winter to pass so I can play with my Himma.
  16. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    you don’t have to wait:

Attached Files:

17. modiorne

modiorne Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!
  18. Sea_Scout

Sea_Scout n00b

Oddometer:
    I don’t have a garage so the bike is at the dealer in winter storage. I get it back mid March. I like the photos of your power distribution block. I am going to do that this year.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  19. modiorne

modiorne Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As recommended in prep for the MABDR, just ordered the sump guard from A.D.Moto in the UK. As mentioned before, this guard works with the Givi bars (again, thanks to drdubb - they fit perfectly). Now back to watching MABDR and SM500 videos on YouTube, plotting and planning.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  20. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered the same bash plate today.