Old Men Ride Their Himmas

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by drdubb, Feb 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. BigTexasOne

BigTexasOne Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    1 acre of heaven, Springtown, TX. NW of Ft. Worth
    Are you implying that in order to want or ride a Himalayan, one must be an Old Man? I mean, I qualify, but, I'm not sure I like being pigeon holed, labeled, identity politicized, etc.......
  2. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:

No, this thread is for old men who ride Himmas. Primarily a place for us to plan trips. For instance, I'm planning to ride the MABDR this summer.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  3. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s a great ride ... I plan on repeating it myself
    modiorne and drdubb like this.
  4. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old Man™ is a state of mind. You could be physically a twenty-something female, and still be an Old Man™ by virtue of wanting to putter down dirt paths on a 24.5-horsepower Indian (country of origin, not ™) motorcycle. It's a state of mind (like Texas or New York, now that I think of it).
    modiorne and bomber60015 like this.
  5. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah, you won't be in my mirror. I'm even slower than you are.

And Arkansas has been postponed till September after I landed an eight-week job as a high school science teacher. Once again, the lure of filthy lucre gets in the way of riding. Of course, you need a certain amount of filthy lucre to pay for gas, food and lodging in this fallen world (sigh)...

Still trying to decide if I'm going to attempt a ride out to Utah (Moab, Burr Trail, Skyline, Moki Dugway, etc.) and Colorado (Echo Park, Land's End, Gold Camp, Phantom Canyon, etc.) this summer. Been trying to get out there on an off-road-capable bike since 2013, with one bit of bad luck after another--lower back, sciatic nerve, rotator cuff, bike troubles (only that one time), new hip, ulnar nerve surgery, and now of course the plague... ya might almost think Ma Nature doesn't want me taking this trip. Though I prefer to think she just wanted me to wait till this year, so I could do it on the fortieth anniversary of my first dual-sport ride to Utah.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  6. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moab is hot in the summertime.
    Good luck with the science gig. I worked in high schools for about 40 years. Retired as an assistant principal. The key is a relationship of mutual respect.
  7. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, but it's a dry heat. Of course, so is the surface of Venus (460º C and 0.1% relative humidity)... but seriously, I tolerate 105º F in Moab's low humidity a lot better than I tolerate 95º F and steam-bath humidity in a Midwestern summer. Couple years ago I was camping in Arkansas in June and noticed that the heat index was actually higher there than in Moab--if I recall, in Arkansas the temperature was 92 but the humidity made it feel like 102, while in Moab the temperature was 102 but it only felt like 92. Stay out of the direct sun (to the extent you can) and drink a gallon or more of water a day (and save the beer for the evening, after it's cooled down a bit), and it's not bad. Also, there's traditionally a sweet spot in the national parks in late August--about two weeks before Labor Day, the traffic is lower than at any other time between about April and November, because it's late enough that the kids are back in school (so no Griswold Family Vacations) but still too hot for the retired folks. Back in 2018 I was in Arches (on the Harley, because the GS had broken down in Iowa), and had no trouble finding parking spaces at the overlooks and trail heads. According to the NPS, two weeks earlier or a week later, these lots would be filled up by 9 am.
    It will be fun once I get past the cringing terror of all the new classroom software I haven't had to pay attention to in previous long-term sub jobs, and of course the realization that I'm responsible for these kids passing or flunking. And we're on a weird schedule, and we still have some kids attempting to learn from home via Zoom. No pressure, eh? The day after school lets out, a friend and I are heading to the Ozarks (in the car) for a weekend of kayaking. We will be taking a lot of beer with us. At least I will...
    bomber60015 likes this.
  8. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was in 100 plus in Moab a few years ago, and as a southerner, I understand about humidity. With a choice, I would go to Moab spring or fall. When I was in Colorado, I had to dodge thunderstorms. I guess that’s what makes it an adventure.
  9. OBX-RIDER

OBX-RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reporting in! But let's be clear. What I have is 72 years of accumulated youth. I don't know anyone who has ever referred to me as 'mature'. To me that's just a synonym to "old grouchy pants" ... :-)
    modiorne and bomber60015 like this.
  10. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Modiorne and I met up in the Uwharries of central North Carolina today to compare notes and ride a little gravel. We both rode two hours from different directions and arrived within 30 seconds of each other. Enjoyed the day and a new riding buddy.
    5968BB8E-F830-4289-B167-4BB8FE2046C1.jpeg
    FEG32, pineygroveshop and bomber60015 like this.
  11. modiorne

modiorne Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence
    Two old men with Himalayans met in a wood, and I...
    I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and riding with a brother,
    And that has made all the difference.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  12. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s hard to find a time of the year when you don’t have to deal with either heat in Moab or the chance of snow in the high passes of Colorado. I handle heat better than snow.

Though, after riding my Himalayan a couple hundred miles in 30-40 mph winds the last couple days, I’m feeling beat-up enough to consider (say it ain’t so) trailering the bike out west rather than riding the thousand miles between Chicago and the mountains. Which opens a whole ‘nother can of worms (not the least that I don’t own a trailer)...
    Eatmore Mudd and bomber60015 like this.
  13. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lot to be said for trailering.
    Eatmore Mudd, FEG32 and bomber60015 like this.
  14. FEG32

FEG32 Too old and fat for any of this.....

Oddometer:
    I have fully embraced trailering, long stretches of highway are of no interest to me at all. Taking the Himalayan to the Shenandoah valley this weekend.

unnamed.jpg
  15. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice
  16. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    MABDR released some minor changes on the route as of April 1. I downloaded the updates
  17. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    "Old Guy" age isn't the qualifier,,it's milage.:p3rry

Subcribed
    bomber60015 likes this.
  18. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:

Zero shame in trailering. Anyone who'd turn their nose up at it are jealous or don't know the advantages because they've never done it.
    FEG32 and bomber60015 like this.
  19. pineygroveshop

pineygroveshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Changes made to the NEBDR also.
  20. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the great things about the BDR folks is that they keep up with changes. Class outfit.