Old Men Ride Their Himmas

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by drdubb, Feb 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well... "shame" is an interesting word to use. I never said there was anything "wrong" with trailering one's bike (though the ethical implications--things like carbon footprint, the "tool vs. toy" debate, the slippery slope that always seems to end with a Heritage Softail that spends more time being washed than ridden, and of course the inescapable question "what would Mr. Subjective do?"--would be a great topic for a campfire chat, preferably with plenty of beer). I have owned a trailer, and was really glad I had it when I ran into rain changing to ten inches of snow coming back from Daytona in 1984. I bought it specifically for that trip, and sold it a few years later after realizing I had used it exactly twice in the whole time I owned it.

My reluctance to haul my bike on a trailer comes because trailering would require a major change in the way I travel with my motorcycle. For 44 years now I have been doing my motorcycle travels as a sort of self-contained mobile unit, rarely staying in the same place more than one or two nights. My tentative Utah itinerary has me staying in Bluff, Cannonville, Torrey, Vernal, Fruita (CO) and Moab, and only the last is a stay of longer than one night. It seems to me (at least from the people I know who have trailers and use them regularly) that trailering is better for going to a destination, setting up a base camp, and doing several day trips from that base.

And this leaves me with the conundrum: in the past 44 years, I have made (at least) 26 round trips from Chicago to the western mountains. I figure that something like ten percent of my total riding mileage was commuting across that prairie. In the days when I could reliably do multiple 500+ mile days in a row, this was no problem. Now that I'm in my late 60s with multiple orthopedic issues, I'm not so confident that I want to do that (especially on a Himalayan rather than a big touring bike). What would probably make the most sense is to haul the bike across the prairie and stash the trailer/tow vehicle for a week or two while I did my usual nomadic thing around Utah and Colorado. This is the option I've been looking into, as I have a friend in Albuquerque who's willing to let me park the rig at his house. It does raise a secondary question of whether to buy a trailer or see about renting one for a couple weeks... which would depend on whether I thought I'd use it enough down the road to justify purchase price plus a painful $118* a year for plates.

*Apparently the motorcycle and boat lobbyists were taking the day off when the legislature set these rates. A "recreational" trailer--that is, a camper--pays less than half that amount, even if it's a big, hard-sided "toy hauler" with a two-bike garage in the back. Ah, Illinois, "corruptus in extremis"...
    hensmen, bomber60015 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  2. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to be a snob about my “ride” ethos. Now I adhere to whatever gets you on the bike. Doesn’t matter if you trailer, ride Iron butts or a few miles to a hot dog stand.
    9Realms, modiorne and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  3. FEG32

FEG32 Too old and fat for any of this.....

Oddometer:
    I don’t know how often or if ever any of you have played open world video games but there is a mechanic within the game known as “fast traveling”. It allows you to jump past all of the tedium that you’ve already explored and get right to the good stuff in areas you haven’t been to or areas you want to get back to and explore in greater detail.

For me that’s trailering, it gets me outside my area fairly quickly and in comfort and allows me to get to the area I want to explore while also giving me a comfortable place to sleep. I have done plenty of multi state rides and by the time I got to the areas I wanted to be I didn’t want to ride any more that day. Now I can pull into a park, unload, secure the trailer and spend the rest of the evening out and about and return to my temporary home to eat, sleep and maybe enjoy a nice fire.

I totally understand the other approach as well, way less stuff to deal with, but I’ve gotten pretty efficient so it’s a good trade off.

An iron-butt contender I’m not :D
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  4. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Watched this today. Good production. Shows need to be flexible.

modiorne and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  5. modiorne

modiorne Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember watching this, all three segments. Agreed, well done, and good guidance re being flexible.

One of the riders, Mark I think, has a good YT channel, have watched some of his stuff, Mexico to the start of the MABDR, and more.
  6. cra_fizzer

cra_fizzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the Solostove. Bonfire? I have a Ranger.
  7. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another MABDR video. No commentary, but shows the route conditions better than most of the other vids.
  8. modiorne

Oddometer:
    Link didn't come through - or I did something wrong...
  9. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its me

modiorne and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  10. modiorne

Oddometer:
    Nicely done set of videos - I like how even the stability control on his camera/GoPro was getting a workout on that rocky PA section. Of course, they were moving a bit faster through that than I would have.

My trio of fresh GoPro batteries and the triple charger delivered today - along with some of those monster beefy zip ties like Randy was showing the other day in the main Himma thread. I can't promise studio-quality video of the upcoming MABDR trip, but if you need something zip-tied, I have it covered from tiny to ginormous. Remember "Jaguars ripped my flesh!"? Well, "Zip Ties Saved My Derierre!" in Guatemala some years back, and they go everywhere with me now.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  11. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need to hear that story.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  12. pineygroveshop

pineygroveshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Over a campfire!
    modiorne likes this.
  13. modiorne

Oddometer:
    Campfire indeed! My riding buddy/neighbor (also doing the MABDR in June) and I going to Uwharrie NF this weekend, Sat and Sunday to air out the camping gear and gently muck about. If anyone is up for a day trip, or even overnight, the more the merrier. I think we will be in the Troy/Eldorado area around 10 or 10:30 Sat, and heading back Sunday late afternoon, early evening. Gravel roads and the fun paved bits (like Low Water Bridge, etc.) around Orphir, Dark Mtn., etc.
    Ping me 704-905-2379 if you are in the area.
  14. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have to take my wife someplace on Sat. Wish I could join.
    modiorne likes this.
  15. modiorne

Oddometer:
    Hope you are doing well. I know you'll get a kick out of this:
    So buddy (NC750x) and I (Himma) did a lot of on as well as off-road stuff this weekend. Now, we are ADV'd up, saddlebags, dry bags, etc. and no kidding, he was asked 3 times if he was on an Africa Twin, and I had one guy ask if I was riding the Husqvarna. ;) Since you have both the NC and the RE I thought you'd get a kick out of that.

Stopped up at the top on Morrow Mtn yesterday and had a rider come over - says I was the first Himma he'd sighted in the wild. With the weather it was a massive show of bikes and cars up and down Morrow - we were there for easily two hours watching the parade and chatting with folks. I daresay we had more talkers and gawkers than the (very shiny) Harleys parked close.

Also, did the most extensive testing of airing down, trying to find the best pressure for the new Mitas, but anything between 10 and 18 down just glued them to anything we ran across or over. The Dynaplug pump got a workout and was flawless in operation.
  16. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mark;

Looks like you did some good research. Wish I could've joined you. I had to take wifey to daughter's at mid day to make the trip, that's why I couldn't meet you guys.
    Wife is at the coast with daughters this week and I thought I'd be riding more, but so far I've done lots of errands. I plan to take a long ride tomorrow with full load.

Husky and an AT! I can't afford either bike on a teacher's retirement. I once made a stop on the NC and was with a guy who was riding an AT....with the attention he got, it was like I didn't exist. However, when I think of getting rid of the NC, I can't think of anything to replace it. Next best might be the CB500X, just because its smaller and lighter. The other bike I considered for the Hima was a Yamaha XT250, but my heft would over come that little machine.

Took off the heart monitor and mailed it today. Was told it might be up to ten days before I hear anything. I think more tests are in my future. Went through this a few years ago and my heart was healthy except for the rhythms. Hope its the same...might need some new meds for the arrhythmias.

Been working on my load. I want to ditch all camping equipment, but I'd hate to get caught out someplace and not have any gear. That stuff takes a full saddle bag plus the tent on the rack. Still debating.
  17. modiorne

Oddometer:
    Taking care of wife and health - Job #1. Hope you get some good news in 10 days or so!

Yup, I aired out all the camping gear, everything in good shape. My tent system allows me to leave the tent itself behind and just have the ground mat and the rain fly - so a supported shelter in a pinch (if no trees available), or I just bring a tarp, for if we get caught out. A bivy bag and the Friendly Swede liner (which goes in any case) and should be set. As we get closer we can do final planning and likely share some of the "just in case" gear duties.
  18. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got an ok from my cardiologist.
    Mounted the 14t sprocket with a new chain.
    Lubed the suspension links.
    New rear tire. Changed oil and adjusted valves.
    Mounted thicker bash plate. Lost canister and air injection.
  19. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can’t say I’ve ever asked my cardiologist for sprocket selection advice... :-)
  20. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just spent a couple of weeks with a heart monitor.

doc recommended 14T
    Eatmore Mudd and bomber60015 like this.