"Old school" mechanic available

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by NewSuz, Apr 30, 2009.

1. NewSuz

NewSuz Old coot on scoot

Oddometer:
    I've been a self-employed architectural draftsman for many years. Before this I fixed motorcycles.
    Lately, the plan drawing business has been just a slow as the building industry in general. I'm trying to generate some income any way I can.
    In 1972 I graduated with an A.S. degree in Motorcycle Repair Mechanics from L.A. Trade Tech. I worked in many shops in the L.A. area, then in S.F., Marin, and Sonoma County. During the late '70s I was the proprietor, chief mechanic, bookkeeper, parts chaser and floor sweeper at New Age Motorcycle Repair in Rohnert Park. This was during the serious gas shortage period, but the anticipated interest of the general public in fuel-saving motorcycles or scooters never materialized. This small business eventually failed in spite of my being a good and conscientious "wrench".
    I spend too much time now reading the on-line bike forums, and there are frequently posts from somebody restoring a CB 350, or having trouble cleaning carbs or how to set the timing on something with a set of points. I often think, "If he / she were my neighbor, we'd have that thing fixed." <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    At one time or another I've worked on almost kinds of British and Japanese bikes and some other Europeans, but not Harley Davidsons. Honestly, I don't have all the latest know-how about computer assisted this and that, but I can figure out most straight-up mechanical stuff.<o:p></o:p>
    So, I'm putting it out there. I've still got all my tools and room for one extra bike in my garage. If you're not in a hurry and think I might be able to help you fix your bike, send me a P.M.<o:p></o:p>
    My rates will be reasonable and you can watch. Might be a good deal for both of us.<o:p></o:p>
    Tom<o:p></o:p>
  2. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    I've seen ads posted in the local craigslist, put something up there too.
  3. Tim-Rodriguez

Tim-Rodriguez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Tom

I was also a draftsman for two and a half years,but recently I was made redundant due to this recession and cut backs in the company.

Now im struggling to find good work and spend my spare time learning to fix/service my own bike as I have little money to take it to a garage for such simple work.
  4. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    Just another reason I keep a tire machine in the shop.
    I could always make money fixing flats and doing brake work, I'm good at A/C work too but not certified so I can't "officially" do it.
    As long as I can keep the trucks making money I don't don't have to worry about the other three.

+1 on the Craigslist ad. Might make some business cards saying you do brakes and light 4 wheel type work too.
  5. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Petaluma???

Having worked for 2 small shops--- know when to refuse work, or it will end up costing you. Give realistic estimates of time as well as cost to the customer. Which brings us back to #1.

Good luck.
  6. NewSuz

NewSuz Old coot on scoot

Oddometer:
    Yes. Petaluma. N. Calif. Why the question marks?