Old Spanish Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by Countdown, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't ask us if you were at same spot (road), look at GPS tracks tell us if you think you were but sounds like it was. Do you know anything about the other two options?
  2. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    I wasn't 'asking' you...I said 'assuming' meaning I looked at your tracks and two of three options cross at this bridge near Carracas (the one coming from Pagosa Junction does not...crosses at Juanita) so I was 'assuming' this was the spot you guys were talking about. Geo and Bill's descriptions were more vague ("that crossing" and "where it crossed the NM CO border") so I was only assuming they meant the Carracas bridge crossing since it is the only bridge over the San Juan in that area that is questionable. I was simply commenting that it was closed and locked last June.
    I have not done the first part of your option 1 track but that one I would think should be good. I've done it from Dulce to the NM/CO border to Juanita, Pagosa Junction and Carracas and that was all doable and good road.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never knew that was called the Carracas bridge. I was hoping that the fact I was referring to Jerry's track would eliminate most vagueness.

We did a ride many years ago (before GPS) where we crossed into the Jicarilla rez about where Jerry's track comes out and went on to Dulce. And I think we turned around and went back on the same road the next day. I know we ended up down at 64 at the east edge of the forest.

We went back another time (early GPS era) and got hopelessly lost up there and ended up having to go back down to 64.

We have ridden the dirt road south from Dulce that runs parallels to and west of 64. But there is a sign on 64 saying it isn't open to the public. But there is no gate there.
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could you be more clear, you say "gate on the bridge" but photos don't show a gate on the bridge? I "assume" it is near the bridge as shown in the gpx file and you came to it from the north.

Next question, do you know where the area is closed from the South?

Attached Files:

5. NMTrailboss

Oddometer:
    Bill, I don't know that it is 'officially' called the Carracas Bridge...I just call it that and have seen it referred to a couple of times on ADV by other NM inmates as that name! I was 99% sure that was the border/river crossing you were referring to and apologize as I didn't mean to imply you were vague about it! :D

Jerry, sorry I didn't get a photo of the bridge with the gate, but the gate is approx. 20-30 yards from the bridge on the south side of the river. The photo of the bridge I posted was taken from just a few feet in front of the gate looking north. I did indeed come across the bridge from the north and was just checking it out to see if it was gated. I've been talking about this route from the bridge to Hwy. 64 via Carracas Mesa with another ADV inmate from Albuq. and wanted to see if it was passable or not. When I was there last year, a large truck hauling cut lumber came down the road from the NM side, opened and closed the gate and continued on towards Navajo Lake and the road to the south past the gate seemed well travelled so it is obviously getting used by loggers or other people with access to the gate key.

I have not been in the Carracas Mesa area from the south (from US Hwy. 64) so I do not know where it is closed from that end. There appears to be a ton of roads through this area and possibly multiple ways to eventually get to the 'Carracas bridge' but it would be for not if you couldn't get through the gate (although maybe possible to drag a smaller bike under the gate) but probably wouldn't serve your purpose in searching for a OST route with a gated road. Possibly this is only a seasonal closure? The signage on the gate doesn't seem to imply that though. :dunno
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like two signs, one private No Trespassing, Keep Out and one County or USFS official Brown style stating that NO access to forest which is only 1/4 mile down the road at the CO/NM Border.

I would bet roads thru the forest are all open right up to the edge of the forest and there is identical gate. I would also bet the land owner which looks like reservation uses both gates.

This really pisses me off when adjacent land owners have motorized access to a forest that the general public does not.
  7. NMTrailboss

Oddometer:
    :nod

Agreed.
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Given that it is only about a quarter of a mile from the edge of the forest to a major county road and a bridge I thought there was an excellent chance that this road would be open - not.
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to keep latest addition at bottom.

Attached Files:

10. Vorderrad

Vorderrad Vorderrad

Oddometer:
    Tulare, California Front door of the Sierra Nevada
    ++ on the OS trail :clap keep it coming. I remember seeing it on some maps just south of Parump NV? when I was setting up for a different ride I was doing that took us the back way through Red Rocks and west Vegas.
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably done working on it, at 72 too many unexplored areas and too few years left.

My final Tracks are on GpsXchange.com
  12. txmxrider

txmxrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Resurrecting an old post here, but just wondering if anyone has ridden the OST in the last year or two using Countdown's tracks and could answer a few questions? Specifically I'm wondering about the stretch from Santa Fe NM to Dove Creek CO. Is Jerry's track reasonably complete and also what percentage is pavement versus off-road (eg single track, two track ATV, two track Jeep, and gravel)? I'm thinking about a dualsport ride west out of Santa Fe on the OST, then near Emery UT I'd pick up the GWT north to ID, then the TOI T2 or T3 to the Canadian border. Then if I have the time, money, and energy, take the Northern Connect east to the CDR, then follow the CDR south back to the start in Santa Fe. I welcome any thoughts on this subject. Also I'd like to take this opportunity to give Countdown a big "Thank You!" for all the work he's done to record tracks all over the west. I had no idea he'd done all this until I started poking around on various forums researching this ride. And also thanks to the others that contributed their tracks to Jerry. Thank you all!!