Old Touring Cruisers; Yamaha Royal Star?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Anokan, Jun 27, 2017.

1. ElMartillo

ElMartillo I See Faces...

Oddometer:
    In case someone is looking for one, I have a ‘96 with appx 45K miles on it. Always garaged, maintained well. Haven’t ridden it much the past 5 years, stored correctly. Looks nearly new. Lots of extras including tall windsheild, front light bar, Corbin seat, leather hard bags and mounts, etc. I’m the original owner.

I need to rebuild the clutch master cylinder, but will post for sale soon, after work is done. Located in SoCal.

PM me if you’d like to be informed when I post a “for sale” ad.
    A82E4645-B597-40FB-9FD5-50B1655E11EE.png
    rauchman likes this.
  2. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    Bump time. I just purchased a Royal Star based hack rig and rather than get deep into another model specific (ie really slow moving) site, let’s see what lurks here on the Asylum.

bike is a 98 with 52k, Barnett clutch, and precious little other modifications. Car is a Hannigan Astro. Maximum width is 81”. 76” wheel edge to car wheel edge. We’re going to need a bigger trailer… 2ABF85DB-2034-4096-834D-54DBE7F2C1DE.jpeg
    rauchman likes this.
  3. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    I have a 09 Nomad and you won't go wrong with it. I
    have pulled my Bunkhouse camper for about 10000 miles and never has missed a beat.
  4. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Congrats, you sure look pleased! :clap
  5. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I owned a 2002 Yamaha Roadstar from the spring of 2003 to 2008. It was my 2nd bike, with the 1st having been purchased 6 months before when I first got my license, 2002 SV650S.

I put about 20k miles on that bike. It worked great for touring, including a 2,600 mile round trip to Nova Scotia the summer of '03, multiple trips to New England, Upstate New York and Canada, and aside from the carb having to be degunked once and oil / tire changes, nothing else was done to that bike for maintenance / mechanical. Very reliable, and at that time was probably the closest clone of an HD available. Only had 61hp though, but very good torque. THE most comfortable stock seat I've ever experienced. My buddy still talks about that seat. if you go this route, get a 2004+, as they upgraded the brakes, bumped the displacement, and a couple of other updates.

While I don't know much about the Royal Star, I read about them. Never have read a bad review, aside from it's a heavy bike. I remember reading a few reviews shortly after having gotten my Roadstar and thinking maybe the Royal Star would have been a cooler choice. There is a guy in town that has an early 2000's Royal Star that I run into once in a while. His bike has over 100k miles on it and going strong. He loves it, and likes having a non standard cruiser engine. He calls it the Cadillac Ride.

Go for it

It's a shame Yamaha seems to have stepped away from the their big cruisers, as IMHO they made some of the better cruisers from the Big 4. I'd still put up the Road Star Warrior against any sport cruiser today. Yamaha's Roadliner / Stratoliner was, along the Gen 1 Honda Valkyrie, the best Japanese big cruiser ever made. The Raider was a fantastic bike. From everything I've read on the Royal Star, it is supposed to be a luxurious ride for sure.

When I bought my Roadstar, I sat on the Honda VTX1800, whatever the big Suzuki was at the time and the Kawi 1500. Not that one can glean that much from test seating bikes on a showroom floor, but the RS had the best balance/lowest top weight when taken off the stand and the only one to come with a belt drive (not sure on the Kawi). And while the handlebars got replaced with T bars shortly after purchase, had the best ergos for me.

ETA - Just saw you purchased the Royal Star. Congratulations on a great bike. Enjoy
    TonyKZ1 and Tmaximusv like this.
  6. Tmaximusv

Oddometer:

Thank you, we are, and I included wife’s pic with the bike because finding that rig was necessary to get her sold on the idea of a sidecar.
  7. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    Man, I haven't seen a Royal with cheese since maybe 2000 or 2001...

I was on a ride with some buddies and we had along a Royal with cheese (what we called the touring version of that bike), a Heritage Softail a VT1100Tourer and a BMW RUglyC

And we swapped back and forth all day.
    When we got to the hotel everyone agreed
    The Harley shook (This was a pre TCB engine, during the Evo period)
    The BMW was ugly (was and still is)
    The VT1100Tourer was slow
    And the Royal with cheese should have had the full meal Vmax engine.

But it was comfy
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  8. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really like the looks of that VT1100 Tourer. I wish I could...

I have never owned a Royal Star, but I have heard nothing but good things about them. A friend of mine owned two of them and put big miles on both...

I have owned a couple of Nomads, a 1600 and a 1700. I like the 1700 much better - but if I were shopping for a Kawasaki Vulcan now, I would be looking for a Vaquero. It has the same bags as the 1600, and they are much better bags than the top loaders on the 1700.
  9. Stasher1

Stasher1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Traded for this one a few months back.

20210423_065641.jpg

'06 Royal Star Midnight Venture. Big, heavy mofo, but a real smooth ride.

I like it, but this will be a "catch and release" bike. I went from a fuel injected bike to carbureted, and I really miss the FI.
  10. Tmaximusv

Oddometer:
    Anyone in need (want?) of a set of 4 straight pipes for a 90s vintage Royal Star? Took off the straights and put on the stock. Soooooo much quieter and better cold starting as a bonus.
  11. bdonley

bdonley Long timer

Oddometer:
    AEACFFD0-E6E1-4773-879E-225B77057AAB.jpeg Looked at this one Saturday. Guy called me back, offered it to me for $2600.00. 2002 Triumph America. 21k miles. Thinking I need to get it. Never had a Triumph, need an upright bike. Owned by by a mechanic. The shift levers seem a long way out for me, but with floorboards I could shorten them and bring them back to me. Sounds like a go!
    Scooter Addict and Prmurat like this.
  12. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^
    I test rode one of those several years ago... it's a nice ride.
    He was my parent's neighbor, but wanted quite a bit more than 2600... I didn't want to pay that much at the time (didn't have the money anyway).

At $2600 and only 21k miles... that'd be hard to pass up.
  13. Scooter Addict

Scooter Addict Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 2014 Triumph America LT. It’s the first Triumph that I’ve ever owned. The bike is a solid machine. The thing I hate the most is the buffeting from the factory windshield. I think it would be better if I just take off the windshield!
    ScooterAddict
    bdonley likes this.
  14. Scooter Addict

Scooter Addict Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That motorcycle is very clean looking. Get rid of the whitewalls and it will sell fast! JMHO!
    ScooterAddict
    Stasher1 likes this.
  15. Stasher1

Stasher1 Long timer

Oddometer:

The whitewalls make it "gangsta". :D