Oldbeers Odd Outings

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by oldbeer, Sep 3, 2017.

1. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I really enjoy seeing what everyone else has been up to and making the occasional comment. But I don't see much about riding in my neck of the woods - Auckland and North, mostly what was Rodney County and a bit further up towards Whangarei. I'm based at the top end of the North Shore.

So here's my thread, in which I hope to show that there are some nice rides around here. On a scale 1 to 10 for adventureyness, they are mostly in the low 1s and 2s, with a bit of dodgy gravel and the occasional pothole or greasy surface the only real challenges. A lot of it is sealed, a necessity to reach the gravel but still some nice roads.

My main aim whenever I go out is to try to avoid SH1 as much as possible, as happily I have time to take other routes.

So today I went up through Waitoki and Tahekeroa to Warkworth for gas then skipped over to Mahurangi and down to Scotts Landing. Last time I was there was about 40 years ago and the road was gravel from Algies Bay - now all sealed. Well worth the ride though.

20170903_171527.jpg

20170903_171659.jpg
    Watercat, glitch_oz, jafar and 2 others like this.
  2. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice.
  3. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    One great thing about living up here is that you are never very far from the sea. I can ride from one side of the country to the other in about an hour...

Looking out over Kawau Island from Matakana Hill
    20170730_133631.jpg
    Rainbows End, Matakana
    20170730_131730 comp.jpg

West Coast.... Muriwai
    20170730_152531 comp.jpg

And then back to the East - Riverhead
    20170730_155935.jpg
    DLRuapuke and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  4. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Your bike 25 years ago @MrKiwi !!
  5. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    And we do have some really nice gravel roads to play on
    Rauners Road
    20170805_153144.jpg
    Kaipara Hills Road
    20170729_144632.jpg
    Journeys End Kaipara Harbour (A rose between two thorns...).
    DSC05605.JPG
    Tauhoa Road
    20161108_155813.jpg
    glitch_oz and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  6. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    yes, and I recognise some of those places too.
  7. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    fantastic, this forum needs more of exactly what your doing! post away!

Hope to be adding a new thread of my own soon for the Manawatu!
    DLRuapuke and MrKiwi like this.
  8. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great thread - nice to see the routes and a good time so I can plan some summer jaunts :)
  9. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    Bring it on, I like thread like these...
  10. DLRuapuke

DLRuapuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats the way
  11. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    For the locals that might not have ventured into the wilds of central Rodney, here is a route that provide plenty of gravel sections, plenty of charming sealed backroads and a bit of flowing high speed highway. Starts at a decent pie shop, ends in Puhoi so take your pick from the cafe or the pub. 1.5 hours, 75kms. Usually combined with a bit more of the same. See later posts!

Google maps link - cut and paste into your browsers - https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/P...0x6d0d21b9b92e7249:0x1300ef6106857220!1m0!3e0

looks like this...
    Albany to Puhoi route snip.JPG
  12. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    After my morning trip up to Maungatoroto via SH16 (only met one car on my side of the road and he let me by...) today's route took me over to the east coast, I turned off at Kaiwaka and went to Mangawhai and then went through all of the gravel back roads I could, Coal Hill Road, Te Arai Point Road, Ocean View Road, Pakiri Block Road, Rahukiri Road, then over the Pakiri Hill into Leigh and back to Warkworth. There had been a bit of a slip on the Pakiri Hill, with some biggish rocks lined up by the side of the road. I'm glad I wasn't there when that lot came down. As a tip, best to do this hill from north to south as the views are better, imo.

Then rather than go back down SH1, I went through Woodcocks Road, Ahuroa Valley and into Puhoi, then up and over the hill, down Noakes Hill Road and back through Waitoki to the North Shore. A biggish day but great weather. Down to a t-shirt under the jacket already!
    20170905_132851.jpg 20170905_140137.jpg 20170905_140952.jpg 20170905_141330.jpg
    Not a bad view from here!
    glitch_oz, wairau and MrKiwi like this.
  13. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    Love the bike
    oldbeer likes this.
  14. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Me too...really nice to ride, plenty of grunt and makes the appropriate noise. Much better suspension than my much younger Vstrom. Developed a rattle today ....or at least I first heard it today. Think the chain needs to be adjusted up a bit, is new and very loose, as recommended by the AT diaspora but perhaps a bit too loose. Should also fit the new chain slider as the old one fell to bits.

Time for a maintenance day I think.
    young1 and MrKiwi like this.
  15. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Great thread - I really want to explore northland but it just seems a bit far away when you can't take much time off work
    So I'll at least get to see it through your photos

Love this one

[​IMG]
    MrKiwi likes this.
  16. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:

too right.

my trips to northland have all been on road bikes. i need to make the time to knock off some of the gravel.
  17. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
  18. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes one of my favourites - Tauhoa Road - it runs west to east between SH16 at Tauhoa and Kaipara Flats. Then its sealed the rest of the way east to SH1 just north of Warkworth. Its a great cut through if you have had a gutsful of queuing on SH1. Runs through nice country side like this then for a short time alongside the mighty Hoteo, biggest river in Rodney. Where you pass it on this road, in flood that river will carry a couple of thousand tonnes of water a second...not big by NZ standards bit big for us! I have a day dream of kayaking down it one day from east of Wellsford to the Kaipara. But not in a flood......
  19. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    How come I missed this thread? (scratch head)
    Some real neat roads and pics !!
    There's another well-worth route paralleling SH1, running N->S... from the north, get off SH1 onto the gravel of Baldrock Rd...then Ryan-morphing-into-Pritchard Rds which runs along the ridges. Awesome views (right up to the coast on a clear day).
    Extending that just to the north, tack-on Mountain Rd. (gravel) which winds its way above the Kaiwaka River flats across to SH12.

Around Mangawhai....there's another little gem running E->W by using the mentioned Coal Hill (or Black SwampRd) + Te Arai Point Rd. , then dogleg across Mangawhai Rd onto Cames Rd.
    It followes the ridges with exceptional views, then tack west onto Lawrence and Settlement Rds. (if not veering south onto Pritchard/ Ryan) .

Coal Hill Rd towards Mangawhai

[​IMG]

Cames Rd.

[​IMG]

Pritchard Rd.

[​IMG]

Where the name changes

[​IMG]

The "Ryan" part of the Pritchard Rd, looking south into Rodney district

[​IMG]

There's some sweet cruisin' in the North, fer sure! :clap
  20. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...and just a bit to the north, around Waipu, there's a neat, little tar + gravel rollercoaster from the coast towards SH1, climbing the coastal hills.
    http://bit.ly/2y1BFUl

Glenmohr Rd.

[​IMG]

...which knits up beautifully (doglegging SH1 again) with Brooks Rd./Finlayson Brook Rds ...or MillbrookRd., whatever your preferred entry-point into the Kaipara proper may be.

Ohhh, The Kaipara...it ain't for Pussies!!

[​IMG]