Oldbeers Odd Outings

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by oldbeer, Sep 3, 2017.

1. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Ooops, sorry NF I did not mean to ruffle any falcon feathers. Goes to show a little humour usually goes a wrong way.
    For the record, I of course use gps in the form of maps on the phone, google etc and I also use maps when I can find them. I do like getting a bit lost though.
    Which is what I'll do now.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  2. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    we're sweet mate :scratch the Crusaders trounced the Canes so all's good in my world :clap
  3. Brainflex

Brainflex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whenever you want to do Motu and Esatcape give me a shout and I'll show you the hot spots.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  4. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Great day for a ride. Essential pretrip prep complete. May also check gas and tyre pressures later....
    15525947473317936450161006275612.jpg
  5. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Next week I will be an even olderbeer and a few years ago I decided a good way to celebrate would be to go for an extended bike ride with my kids. The boys both ride and my daughter pillions behind me. First year was Rotorua. Second year Coromandel. This year we're off to Whangarei Heads for the weekend. Today was my fortnightly visit to Mangawhai so I took the opportunity to check all was well with the older vstrom as it isnt getting ridden much since the new one arrived.
    20190315_162238.jpg
    Half way up SH16 I was thinking I just wasted a truckload of money...the old bike is great..why did I do it??? If anything it handles better than the new one.

This might have something to do with the better handling on the old bike. 15526211719551269906494336989527.jpg There's no fork brace on the new one and im thinking that will be the first mod. It does feel a bit wallowy round corners.

So after I got back I filled the old one with gas and then jumped on the new one to fill it up too. Ah yes now I am reminded why I did it. New bike is smoooooooooth. And I prefer the styling and most of all f**k it i felt like buying a new bike. So thats all good. Just got to wash the dust off the blue one from a fairly spirited (for me) run through Ryan and Pritchards Road and top up the scottoiler on the yellow one and we are ready for tomorrow.

By the way I would put Ryan and Pritchard up there with Kaipara Hills road as some of the best gravel in Rodney. I prefer riding it south to north as you get spectacular views of Whangarei Heads as you go over the top. If you havent done it you're in for a treat. You'll even get to ride over one of my bridges!!

A nice day on a great bike
    20190315_101945.jpg
    20190315_111202.jpg
  6. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I also updated my personal thinking space yesterday and today was the first test ride
    20190315_162253.jpg
    The new lid is an HJC i70. Old one is a Shoei GT Air. The visor is scratched and according to Shoei its past its use by date. New visor $109!!! New liners...200+ iirc.

I have been dithering over the new lid for a while. I started looking at modular but after trying two they were very noisy. One unbearably so. So i went off those. Then I looked at " adventure" helmets. But I cant convince myself to buy what is in my view basically a fashion statement that is bound to be noisier than a standard full face. The Shoei Hornet is a nice fit but itll be noisier than my gt air for sure. And its $1100. I can buy a gt air same as mine for 699 but those were on the same shelf when i bought my first one and are also very close to or even past Shoei's recommended replacement date!! Either the Shoei recommendation is bollocks or the sale price is too high. So went off a new(same age?) Gt air.

So finally after hours of internet wombling decided the i70 was the go. $449. Great fit same shape as the Shoei. Nice graphics. Picked it up yesterday.

Colour me a bit dissappointed..:(:(

Fair enough its half the price of an actually newer Shoei ($899) but its not significantly quieter than my 4 year old Shoei. If anything i think the old one is better. There are more bits and pieces on the i70 shell to cause turbulence and therefore noise.
    20190315_162408.jpg
    The HJC sun visor is exactly the same thickness as the Shoei but rattles around in its retaining mechanism and feels cheap and flimsy. The actuator is now on the bottom left side of the lid which is much better than the older HJCs that had it on the top but i still found it hard to find and operate even with light sumner gloves on.

And its a quick release clip not a double d ring. I dont understand why helmet makers use the clip when double d is fairly universally preferred by riders and safety testers. But ill get used to that i suppose. And its the same mechanism that keeps you in your airplane seat so i guess it'll work if it has to.

Overall nice helmet at a good price but i was hoping for total silence. Perhaps somewhat unrealistically but thats my memory of the gt air when it was new.

I tried on the HJC rpha 11...1300grams!! Wondrous light!!! But sadly no sun visor otherwise i would have bought one of those...or a newer gt air..or...or.

First world problem...
  7. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Watercat, Dave Young, Muzz67 and 3 others like this.
  8. Ducatijim

Ducatijim Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer:
    My word, you do look like an old beer alright
    MrKiwi likes this.
  9. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Indeed, the froth went off the top of that pint a long time ago...

Next outing is going to be four days in Cromwell at the end of the month, Thursday 28th through Saturday 30th, fly back to the big Jaffa Sunday lunchtime.

If the weather is half decent I will be out on the drz250. If not I will be tucked up somewhere nice and warm shooting the usual bs. Would be cool to catch up with the locals for a coffee though if you have any time.
    Ducatijim and MrKiwi like this.
  10. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wholeheartedly agree.
    On all accounts.
  11. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Back from Queenstown/Bannockburn where i had three days on the dizzer and barely scratched the surface of what you can do on two wheels around there. I'm looking forward to going back, but probs not until springtime.
    Nevis Road...unfinished business! But the bit over the hill and Duffers saddle is the best gravel road i have ever ridden by a long shot.
    Hawksburn was really rugged and promised to be an amazing experience building exercise...until the grader turned it into a fairly tame broad track. Still great views at the Clyde end though.
    Skippers canyon road was interesting to ride. I had every clenchable muscle clenched at times going down. I didnt go right to the end so could go again. Coming up and out was much easier than going in.
    But just generally riding around the area was great. Clean clear air everywhere. Blue blue skies. Roads with few or no potholes and decent surfaces. And its all one massive geography lesson. Fascinating place.

Not a bad place to sit and sample some of the local vintages
    20190330_160102.jpg
    Southern folk dont take kindly to some rules...
    20190330_103819.jpg
    Two little toys...
    20190329_105618.jpg
    Favourite picture of the three days riding is currently this one.
    20190328_170420.jpg
  12. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great to see you had a good time down south...and just look at those skies!!
    (not that things were any worse around here) :-)
    oldbeer and MrKiwi like this.
  13. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    So today with the help of my son in law I finally got the springs on my centrestand. Flushed with success I then fitted some 30mm bar risers to the new vstrom without breaking anything. Then I put my bigger footpegs on the dizzer...success all round.

I was so proud of myself I gave myself the highest award I could....steak baked bean and cheese pie and a coffee from the local bakery.

But first i had to find some gravel to try out the new tyres and ergonomics. That went ok and i just happened to go past a little road we have previously used for a bit of offroad practice. I'll just poke my nose in there I thought. The locals block the entrance so the 4wd clan can't get in but they use it for hosses so you can can usually get a bike in. Was a bit boggy going in....

Nek minnit...
    20190405_125154.jpg
    Not as bad as it looks!!

I realised it was too muddy to get back up even with my new Shinkos..they had filled up with mud on the way in and were effectively slicks at this point.
    20190405_125748.jpg
    So i turned across the track as tight as i could then hopped off and tried to manhandle it backwards. No reverse on vstroms unfortunately. After trying several permutations and different points of purchase i couldnt move the front wheel over the central hump in the road.

210kg bike 1 old man 0

So i got it as far back as i could then laid it over on the right side and dragged/ pushed the back wheel downhill. Picked it up from the high side fairly easily and then with gravity helping now i could move it back. Once vaguely pointing in the right direction i rode it out without further trouble.

210kg bike 1 Old man 1

A good exercise all round really and once I wash the mud off it I expect I'll have matching scratches on both crash bars.
    20190405_125758.jpg

Onwards and upwards.
    KiwiPewe, EVLED, Brainflex and 3 others like this.
  14. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    you're one step ahead of me, I only have scratches on one side of Red...
  15. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Born leader, me.
  16. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    i still maintain that its not until you’ve dropped your new bike a couple times that you can actually settle down and really enjoy riding it. its all part of the story.
    KiwiPewe, glitch_oz and MrKiwi like this.
  17. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats more or less what i was telling myself as i was dragging it round on its side to point it up hill.

Amazingly having got it home and washed it I cant find any evidence of me doing that.

Why do your tyres go blue when you wash the mud off???? Is that an Auckland thing,?
  18. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Nah, make pretty smoke when ya do stand-up donuts.
    MrKiwi likes this.
  19. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    :y0! nitrogen in the soil reacting with the carbon in the tire.....sounds believable
  20. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks but....:hmmmmm

After reading that I did what I should have done in the first place...googled it. Carbon doesnt react with much. And Carbon nitrogen compounds are the stuff of explosives!! Eek.

Lots of people have asked the question but no solid answers.

Kenda say its the natural oils coming out of the tyre as its also seen on race tyres (apparently) and can be caused by them getting very hot. I only see it when the tyres have been muddy. I certainly didnt get mine that hot.

Ill keep looking.

If they had been pink and not blue i could understand it...colour of embarrasment for putting my new bike on the deck.

Good news is today is the first day in three it hasnt been on its side. Although saying that i havent been in the garage today to check.