Oldbeers Odd Outings

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by oldbeer, Sep 3, 2017.

1. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    a bit crowded :lol3
  2. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    :-)

...and just around the corner from the Cheesecake Shop....deadly!

If you're still tacking further south from Woodville and the weather is good :-)...I just finished uploading the 1day and 3day options, routes , maps etc. 10 mins ago with a 2-day version in the making, hopefully upping tonight. Maybe some of it is usable.
    http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6683
    MrKiwi likes this.
  3. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Ive already been there! A bloke wandered up and started a conversation that went on for one sausage roll (homemade no less) and a cuppa. Heard all about his bikes and various other things. One of the things i like about slowing down, Ive got time to chat.

Thanks glitch but I'm doing as much as i can of our T2B route so won't really have any time for sidetracks this trip. Need to be home Saturday night to avoid the next lot of rain.

Loving this little campsite. Right in the town. Brand new showers and toilets and a 4Square about 50m away. Obviously popular as its absolutely rammed now... a third person has turned up.:(
    wairau, glitch_oz and MrKiwi like this.
  4. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like Woodville's queuing up for some of its wild and funky nightlife then, party-hats on!! :lol2
    MrKiwi likes this.
  5. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    I hope you brought your best wellies...
  6. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Back home after 2200kms. The Assault on the Wairarapa fizzled out a bit due to weather and need to be back home for the weekend. Clearly much more to see and do. Managed Coonoor, Towai (couldnt see a thing, muddy roads) Spur and Huia before deciding to gap it in Eketahuna coffee shop. Home via Wairoa overnight and then back to Auckland from there via Waikaremoana. That ride has been on the bucket list for a long time but I will have to go again as it was mostly in the clouds and only brief glimpses of the lake. Several kilos of sediment washed off the bike and the camping gear is drying out in the garage.

Next time i will revert to plan A which will be ride there by quickest route and base myself somewhere in the middle. Then when im done ride home.

Nice autumn colours down there this time of year
    Ducatijim, EVLED, Manakau.KTM and 2 others like this.
  7. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Spent a sunny morning pootling around on a DL1000 loaner while my 650 was getting its 6k service. Traveled over a lot of roads I ride regularly. Was interesting because I (and I suspect other 650 owners) frequently wonder whether I should have bought the bigger version.

I was impressed by how like the 650 it feels. Its heavier but doesnt feel it. If anything its easier to play the " I'm not gunna put my feet down until I get home" game than on the smaller bike.

The clutch is hydraulic and really light. Would be an advantage on long rides on tight roads.

You can tell its not a 650 when you twist the wrist but its like a scaled up feeling from the 650 if that makes sense.

Overall a very chilled out no fuss bike just like its little brother. I liked it.

As i rode i was looking for any differences that would maybe convince me it would be a better long distance touring bike. I didnt really find any. It does everything the 650 does at 1000 rpm less.

As often happens with test rides i got back on my bike afterwards and happily rode it home. For the next wee while the little voice in the helmet will be quiet.

Which is good cos I bought a Givi Airflow screen and fitted it when i got back so I'll hopefully be rid of the wind noise and turbulence from the stock screen.
    Night Falcon, wairau, EVLED and 3 others like this.
  8. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's 'always a better option' debate gets old when you've had a few bikes. Personally I really like the bike I currently ride that's set up just right for me and does everything I want it to....cept maybe 3rd gear wheelies (miss my old 690 :2cry) The only difference for going bigger or newer these days seems to be more technology. Never had a bike with TC, lean angle sensors, yada yada... and frankly don't want one....maybe I don't know what I'm missing :dunno My next bike is highly likely to be a Spyder purely on a needs must basis.
    MrKiwi likes this.
  9. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Need to introduce you to the terror that is sidecar riding....
    MrKiwi and Night Falcon like this.
  10. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    ha ha..was in two minds on that 990 someone had 'modified' into a hack :raabia vrs. :puke2
  11. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    The :puke2is a bit harsh on the Spyder don't you think?

Mandy has expressed an interest in riding one, so I tend to think of it more as a Girl's bike. Not that there is anything wrong with that.:toney..
  12. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    i havent ridden one, but given the size of the 3 contact patches, they should corner like demons. having said that, i've not been caught by one so :dunno
  13. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of one for when I eventually grow up but in my encounters with them they sure do get in the way. Also, a lot of the riders think that they're on a bike and let their RHS wheel cross the centre line way too much. Followed one down the Pahiatua track on the Coast to Coast and the guy was all over the road - got one wheel in the gravel on the side of the road and nearly lost it (would have had a nice trip over the side too).

A bit like side-cars eh? Need to know how to ride them and understand that they are not bikes ;)
    Box'a'bits and MrKiwi like this.
  14. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    surprised to see this amount of sypderphobia :imaposer you old pharts just can't adapt to the modern age like us young folks :D
    Box'a'bits and EVLED like this.
  15. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
  16. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Fortnine has an interesting you tube on the Ryker. Bike -single track, Sidecars 2 track, Spyders 3 tracks. The more tracks, the more the variations in the road impact on how the vehicle performs re deflection & road imperfections.

Lots of nanny electronics to stop any hooligan activities.
  17. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    They seem to be a fun machine to me. Exciting to ride, you get a good work out so better than a gym membership, keep you focused while riding especially around our hilly roads. I could see how they might get tiring if you were doing long hours in the saddle but for day or weekend excursions that wouldn't be much of a problem. Worth a test ride or two for sure. AFC have a few on the floor :hmmmmm
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  18. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    I took a Spyder out for a couple of hours. Slow as f**k around the corners as you had to climb all over it like some demented money to 'get your weight right'..... total PITA.
    Not relaxing as the bike will tilt and follow all the slightest road contours giving you a total work out!....not at all like a bike.
    Oh and you try to decide what wheel you want to fall into am pot-hole - LH, Middle, RH?!?!?..... where as on the bike you just scoot left or right a wee bit and you miss it.
    Just make sure to do a really good ride on some back country NZ roads before you buy one.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  19. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    Personally, the Yamaha Niken is much more fun and heaps easier to ride. If I was to buy a three wheeler that would be my choice
    Night Falcon and EVLED like this.
  20. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't see any three wheelers but I did have a great weekend ambling around Northland with @Kiwigber .

Friday I rode up to the Bay of Islands avoiding SH1 as much as possible with a great run through Paparoa Oakleigh and the Old Russell Road from Whakapara, coffee at Helena Bay gallery cafe and obligatory photostop at Taupiri Bay. Saturday we went looking for gravel, so it was across the Opua ferry and through Oromahoe Road to SH10, then to Rawene via Kaikohe and an empty SH12 across the Hokianga Ferry for lunch at Kohukohu Cafe. Then to Mitimiti and back, for no other reason that it looked interesting and neither of us had been there before. Was well worth the ride. Back through Kohukohu with a stop to layer up, getting chilly now, then hi tailed it back to the BOI once again via the Opua Ferry for cold beers and a hot curry.

Sunday commenced as one would expect, with observance of religious ceremony....ABs vs Yarpies. It was recorded cos we couldn't keep awake long enough the night before. Rugby was the winner on the day. This was a tarseal day with @Kiwigber on his Yammy XSR 900 (aka The Beast) so back to Kaikohe and down to Twin Bridges on a stunning morning, such a great piece of road and we had it to ourselves. Lunch at Parakao Cafe/pub/whatever, a big group of bikers there when we rolled up. Then back to Pakotai and down Tangowahine Road to SH14. We parted company at Tangiteroria, I headed through the gravel toward Maungatoroto and my mate carried on to Whangarei and back up the Russell Road to the beautiful BOI.
    I thought that Ararua Valley, Golden Stairs Road and Old Mountain Road would be the end of my gravel for the day but there was an accident south of Warkworth which blocked SH1, sending all the traffic on my normal route SH16. Was OK until Kaukapapa then it backed up so I shot into the Rodney hinterland via Makarau and Haruru Road, back to the motorway and home.

Just over 900 kms for the weekend. Northland never disappoints. Happy camper.
    SM-A520F - 20190920_122956.jpg

SM-A520F - 20190920_160814.jpg

SM-A520F - 20190921_112411.jpg

SM-A520F - 20190921_135937.jpg

SM-A520F - 20190921_141101.jpg
    EVLED, Muzz67 and MrKiwi like this.