Oldbeers Odd Outings

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by oldbeer, Sep 3, 2017.

1. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    KP musta missed this one...
    Anytime there's no school hols and/ or the usual tourist-hordes about, I guess.
    Maybe best to check if that lady at the toll point of the Rainbow is "on-deck" though...

Let's hope that steering tube isn't open at the top and slotted somewhere along its length like the one of the Husky TR650s.
    Makes it all sweet looking down below....while the lower headbearing is one rotted, rusted mess.
    Some of those "automotive engineers" should be shot and quartered..... whichever way around, doesn't matter. :-)
    oldbeer likes this.
  2. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, serves you right for buying an exotic euro bike, dunnit?
    Would never happen on a Suzuki.....
  3. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    So.......blissfully sunny Saturday, nice and warm, what to do??? Well the laundry of course.
    However I did need to wait for the clothes to dry so decided to go for a ride.
    Currently interested in Kaipara South Head and had ridden here a number of times but hadn't explored fully. Decided today to go down as many "one day" roads as I could manage.
    Rode as far as you can up South head to the not very appealing Mosquito Beach, which was nicer than it sounds.
    Had been down Trig road before on a forest trail ride but went again to explore a bit. Likewise Donohue road. Wilson Road has stunning views of the west coast and the forest before it drops down to the lake. Beach access from here, however I didn't go there as I have done it before on a drz250. Not interested on the GS.
    At this point my urge for sustenance overtook the urge to explore and I retired to a local house of refreshment before heading home.

And the washing was dry!! Magic, will have to try that again sometime.

The ride...
    Oct 3 2020 South Head ride.JPG

Obligatory fuelling before ride.
    20201003_101524.jpg
    Kaipara River Landing - NZ's answer to Big Muddy. Boat full of excited people going fishing. Clearly don't have any paint to watch drying, or don't own motorcycles or both
    20201003_111443.jpg
    One of Auckland's newest regional parks near the top of the peninsula. There are very few places you can reach a public beach, so Auckland bought a couple of farms. A decent 5km stroll there and back. No bikes allowed!!
    20201003_114815.jpg
    Santa's going to have his work cut out here, there are hundreds of trees... Just imagine how much tinsel they will need.
    20201003_121749.jpg
    The end of the road!!!
    20201003_122748.jpg
    eri, Muzz67, glitch_oz and 2 others like this.
  4. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Part the next....

Steep walk down to Mosquito Beach...
    20201003_122843.jpg
    Unfortunate sight at the bottom of the track......humans.....what are you going to do with them???
    20201003_123359.jpg
    Things were better looking the other way. Looking south. Someone decide that this was not a bad camping spot. I agree with them.
    20201003_123426.jpg
    Looking north, middle of this pic you can just make out the sand island opposite the Kaipara Harbour entrance.
    20201003_123556.jpg
    The road is sealed most of the way to the top and in pretty good condition. In another life I had once looked after a repair contract on the road after logging trucks had completely munted it. I think they now run on their own roads in the forest until they can exit on to a State Highway. Anyhoo, there's a bonus piece of gravel for those who persevere to the end. Love the spring colours.
    20201003_130122.jpg
    A few of the locals checking me out
    20201003_131413.jpg
    eri, Muzz67, glitch_oz and 1 other person like this.
  5. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    And finally...
    Lake Rototoa just off Donohue Road. In the other life I was also helping the local cow cocky to apply to turn the lake (and another to the south) into a yabbie farm. Didn't go ahead which is probably a good thing. Made for interesting public meetings though!
    20201003_132713.jpg
    20201003_132948.jpg
    The view from Wilson Road overlook. Lake Kereta and Woodhill Forest. There's many a tree in that there forest.. Planted to stop sand dune encroachment, it extends the whole length of the South Head peninsula. You can see the road out to the beach in the middle of the shot. Very sandy sand!
    20201003_135747.jpg
    Lake Kereta
    20201003_140313(0).jpg
    20201003_140138.jpg
    Final pic before being overcome by need for food...
    20201003_140953.jpg
    bigkuri, Muzz67, glitch_oz and 4 others like this.
  6. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My old stomping ground as a teenager
  7. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You didnt go down Waionui Inlet? You were close to it.
  8. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope. How do you access that?
  9. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its South Head lagoon. You go in off Trig Road from the main road. Then take a right past the army place. Forestry gravel roads so a bit rougher than normal. Follow your nose to the beach.

Once at the beach you can head out on the sand for about 2 ks at lower tides.

Attached Files:

10. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah ok. Saw the big gate at the end of Trig Road but was a bit put off by the big f*** off signs. Ill have a better look next time I'm there. Twas high tide in any case!
  11. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You would have gone past Higham Road, I spent many days on the Highan farm in my teenage years in the 70s. My brother worked on the farm there too.

It's all different now, but I still occasionally head out that way as one of my cousins lives out in South Head.
  12. enduro0627

enduro0627 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like it was a lovely ride. I was watching the laundry to dry. :-( But next time...
  13. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Its been a month since my last confession....

Plans have begun in earnest for the next outing. Taking the big girl for a wee tootle. A list had been made. Customary ingestion of sacred waters to stimulate brain activity took place...must add "bike" to that list. Don't want to forget that.

16055863556307649209710580821224.jpg

As everyone knows a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single trip to Super Cheap Auto. Looking for 3/8 drive 14mm plug socket. No luck. Some poor sod had hit the local transformer and their power was out but with the help of my phone torch we established they didnt have one. This being Adventure Rider i thought id better keep looking rather than can the whole trip and guess what i got one in the next tool shop. Tenacious or what? (Channeling my inner @neppi here)

So now I've found out where the plugs are on the GS and checked them. They're behind the f*****g crash bars. On you tube you don't need to remove the crash bars in real life you do. Greased the coils so i don't need BMW patent dildo thingy to get them out if i have to. Rechecked the front pads.. still some meat left there but taking the new ones with me. Checked water (fine) and oil (a bit too much. Tried to siphon some out, failed, gave up) Repacked the tool kit from previous proposed drz400 trip...dont need tyre levers and tube.

Spent money on some light drybags cause my panniers aren't perfectly water proof (may possibly have something to do with me dropping a bike on them) and reviewed and repacked. Decided tuxedo was a bit OTT, but jandals are staying in. Both panniers full once wet gear is stowed. I'm being optimistic that i won't need to be wearing it.

I think that's about it. Put new rego on the bike...only just remembered that.

Roll on Friday.
    eri, enduro0627, Ducatijim and 2 others like this.
  14. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    Lovely list but "check the chain"?
    enduro0627 likes this.
  15. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Mate you must be bored...but fair cop. (I could have pretended I meant to check the chain and if I found one, I’ve got on the wrong bike)

Obviously needed more sacred water as my list editing skills are not up to scratch.
    I’ve got a master list and I edit it for each trip. The other bikes have chains...
    Crisis management and MrKiwi like this.
  16. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Insurance? Just sayin’...
  17. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Insurance.....something you think you have. But, yes, sorted, thanks.
    neppi likes this.
  18. enduro0627

enduro0627 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have a raincoat in the dry bag on top and the right pannier?
  19. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    It might rain a lot....
    enduro0627 likes this.
  20. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    Clearly we are bored or a bunch of pedants, sounds like a good trip, my only unsolicited advice is to pack layers of clothing because it will go from snow to 25 degrees from one side of the hill to the other. Ride as much gravel as you can, it's a lovely part of the world.
    eri, MrKiwi and Night Falcon like this.