Olddogs 660 Rallye Rebuild

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by OldDog, Nov 10, 2006.

1. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Sadly, I have never been to the Springs. :cry

My visits to the Lucky Country have all been sailing or surf related. I did have a neat "forbidden fruit" RZ when I lived in Freo, however :wink:

I hope to spend 3-4 weeks taking in the middle bits with the fam in the next years. Wife says she can hardly wait to meet all my old sheilas.
  2. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    Just started on the motor, cleaning out the metal flakes was a pita specially on the magnetised stuff. After a suggestion from Pezz i made up a small elctro magnet which worked a treat! Anyway, got around to pulling the oil pumps apart and sure enough, the main pump is gouged up pretty bad and had a fair bit of debris packed inside. The faces of the gears are still serviceable so i may be able to remachine the housing and use it again (the pump is nil stock).

Not the best pic

[​IMG]
  3. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    What's your camera/lens/film/scanner setup?
  4. OldDog

Oddometer:
    I use a Canon normally but this rubbish pic was taken with my phone camera.
  5. jfn68

jfn68 Banned

Oddometer:
    I had to wait a couple of weeks for my oil pumps,boltons got them for me,just a thought,if you machine the faces of the gerotor pump the rotors would have to also be faced then you got a pump with a lower displacement?.....less oil flow?,maybe better off waiting for the new ones,have a good look also at the plastic pump drive gear,they take a hammering when debri goes through the pump,mine was in a million pieces.
  6. OldDog

Oddometer:
    G'day John, Actually had a spot of luck and got one this morning. So far i've been doing well getting bits, wonder how long it'll last:lol3 Thanks for the tip about the gears, i hadn't checked them. You've got a PM by the way.
    Bill
  7. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    G'day John :wave

You been out on your 660 lately??

Bill, the oil pump gears are two sizes.

The second one supplies oil to 5h gear IIRC

Pezz :)
  8. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Fun read, Old Dog. I love these rebuild threads.

:lurk
  9. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Thankfully both gears are fine. Looks like the smaller gear drives the main oil pump (the fragged one) larger drives the pump for 5th gear.

Thanks GP, i'm havin a great time building this thing up, can't wait to get it running!
  10. v8turbo

v8turbo When in Doubt.... Gas it.

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  11. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Alrighty John, Pezz, Lurking Guru's
    I've measured up the cases as per KTM's advice and get a total case depth of 68.3mm + 0.3mm for gasket = 68.6mm. Crank width is quoted by my mechanic mate as 65.2mm (he's got the crank and is waiting to press up the inner races). So that's 68.6mm - 65.2mm gives me a massive 3.4mm float!!!:huh I measured it twice. So what have i stuffed up? Are there any tricks for the noob to watch out for here? Is there a raised land under where the inner race fits? Are Rallye cases wider? I doubt that though. And theres no way to press the bearing too far through either. :becca

Well you did warn me this would be tedious!
  12. SamH

SamH 90S on the bench

Oddometer:
    Bit of a tangent, salvaged computer hard drive magnets work well for removing flakes from magnatised stuff too.

You know, just fyi :D
  13. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    You could have the crank in upside down . . . . :evil

PM'd ya
  14. OldDog

Oddometer:
    okay after much fartarsing about i solved the problem. It turns out that the crank has a slightly raised area where the inner race mounts, totals almost 1mm. I remeasured the cases using the KTM suggested method and came up with the same old dimensions, so i assembled the cases and measured using an internal mic, total inside dimension between races is now down over 1 mm, wtf:dunno obviously i have no idea how to read a set on verniers, anyway, i've now got the end float down to .8mm, still not trusting my measurements i reassembled the cases with the crank inside and meeasured the end float....yup .8mm. FINALLY!....bloody drove me nuts trying to work that out:jump
  15. jfn68

jfn68 Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey olddog,not a fun job that part of it is it!!!!!,i checked,double checked my measurements,you dont want a mistake where the incorrect amount of shims have been put under the races,to get the races off the crank without damage would be difficult,to put mine on i got a chip fryer filled with engine oil,i put the 2 races in and heated them up that way,they dropped straight on,not a good idea to hit the races with a punch,to much risk of damage...........hey pezz,it hasnt turned a wheel for ages!
  16. OldDog

Oddometer:
    No it bloody sucks actually, you did warn me:lol3 . It's taken a bit to convince myself that i have the right measurements after the crap with measuring it the "KTM way":huh no idea why that didn't work, anyway, i got a pet mechanic who's going to press on the new races, then it's just a matter of getting the gears and assembling, hope to have it running before the end of the year!!!:clap
  17. v8turbo

Oddometer:
    when your finished, it will be a great bike.
  18. jfn68

jfn68 Banned

Oddometer:
    Its all fairly easy once the bottom ends done,mine was assembled in a day,all the parts were cleaned and inspected beforehand so it was just a case of building,i had the rolling chassis ready to go....every bearing was either replaced,or repacked,my bike was really tidy to start with so it was easy.When i got it going,i did a couple of short half hour rides just as to check for any problems,all was ok so i did a 1500km ride on it and it went great,the bike has now done about 5000km and hasnt missed a beat,i put a 39mm fcr on it a while ago and it has given it a nice hit down low and into the mid-range,no need for more top end on these mothers!!!!.
  19. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Looks like i'm in the same boat John, bikes pretty much ready for the engine and all the engine bits have their new bearing / seals fitted ready to assemble, hoses etc are all cleaned out. I'm going to assemble it carefully and test as much of each part as i can as i'm still not 100% sure why this thing failed to begin with. I've found the pressure relief spring was under spec so that could be part of it, contaminated oil due to the usual water pump failure could have a lot to do with it, then it's also been suggested that this could happen due to not following the oil bleed procedure?? Dunno.
    Once it's up and running i'll be doing a lot of shake down runs around here to get my confidence up as well as bedding the motor in. To be honest i'm not expecting a replay of the former problems after this much work.
    All going well i'll drag it down to the Condo 750 at Easter
  20. v8turbo

Oddometer:
    OD-

Any updates or new pics?