Olddogs 660 Rallye Rebuild

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by OldDog, Nov 10, 2006.

1. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    Nah mate, not yet. Work has stalled as i'm waiting for the gears and oil pump to arrive. The crank and everything else is waiting to go in, i reckon the gears will be here mid next week, all going well it should be running before new years!
  2. OldDog

Oddometer:
    ALRIGHT! Gears and other stuff are in the post and will be here by the end of the week, fingers crossed! Looks like everything is falling into place and it should be alive by the end of the month! ..................actually it's a bit of a worry, this is threatening to be the first rebuild i've done where everything goes according to plan.....i'm getting suspicious :dood Back to the shed to see what i've forgotten :rofl
  3. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Bill

Do you know which bolts in the cases and sidecovers have brass washers and which ones dont :ear
  4. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Er.....no actually, but i'll be finding out:rofl
  5. OldDog

Oddometer:
    The parts have arrived!

[​IMG]

Time to start the engine assembly! I'll start the gearbox tonight.

The bodyworks looking even prttier with the addition of an appropriate decal!

[​IMG]
  6. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:

BEWDIFULL
  7. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    Excellent, Excellent. :thumb

Happy Holidays guys. :freaky
  8. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Well all the preperation is paying off, i spent about 3 hours on it tonight and it's about half way there. I took a bit of time to make sure the crank float and gearbox were spot on. The box seems a little "industrial" at this stage.

[​IMG]
  9. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    The white & blue must be the NOS parts. You're a lucky one!
  10. OldDog

Oddometer:
    No pics, but i've now got the motor in the frame, i might start bolting on the accessories tomorrow if i havn't hit the :1drink too much for Christmas! I've had a bit of drama too, i knew this was going too smooth! I got the barrel on but couldn't bolt it down, turns out KTM didn't bore the holes for the dowels, thanks guys!:becca so back off with the barrel and drill it. Then to make things fun i managed to break the oil control ring putting it back on, luckily i had a spare off the old piston which will do for the moment. I made my own base gasket which is 1.2mm thick so should decompress the motor to about 11 to one, i plan to put in the thin gasket in the future so i'll re do the rings at the same time.

Rapiti, yeah i did get lucky, the spare parts chick at Prorider ended up looking after me real well in that department! Those are the old Penton colours on the boxes i think ?????
    Okay so it's likely to be running in the next few days:clap i'll post some pics then. Hope everyone has a Merry:freaky and safe Christmas!
  11. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Finally....after much fart arsing about, it lives! All it needs now is a new battery and the bodywork attached and she's right to go. Damn i'm happy, and it sounds bloody great too! Thanks for the help Pezz! I'd be stuck in a few places without the Guru!:thumb

[​IMG]
  12. sixer

sixer I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap

:lurk
  13. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Nearly there, i'm just off for it's first shake down now, despite the stuffed battery, hope i don't stall it:rofl :rofl

[​IMG]
  14. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Good job Dog. Was it fun riding??
    Can you show a close up of your plastic headlight guard?
    It looks good.
    Bill.
  15. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Yup, didn't stall it thank f**k but i didn't stop for a "nature shot" either. Goes ok on the tar but really comes into it's own on the dirt as you'd expect, feels very light and totally under control, i was expecting more grunt but it's putting out enough to get me in trouble so it'll do.....for now:lol3 The clutch is an absolute nightmare so i'll have to do some fiddling there. All up i'm happy with it, we'll see how much better it goes as the engine runs in and my skils improve! It's dark atm so i'll get a shot of the guard tomorrow, it's basically a piece clear acrylic shaped up then heat bent to bolt up underneath, very basic stuff!
  16. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    How so ?

They can get very grabby when first used after a week or 2 sitting. Does the Rallye run hydro or cable clutch actuation ?

If the clutch pull is 2 heavy for ya, toughen up ya ....... I mean Sommer KTM have a kit where they use heavier springs, but only 1/2 the amount of springs, to lighten the clutch pull but still keep the clamping pressure good.
  17. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Nah the clutch is just really grabby, i've been fiddling with the adjuster (it's cable by the way) but it's not helping too much, i'll just ride it a bit and see if it comes good as you suggest! The feels pretty good actually, i don't think i'd want to change that.
  18. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    They're like that when cold and it varies with different brands of oil. Don't sweat it. It should go away when fully warmed. Very cool bike :thumb
  19. Evil Invader

Evil Invader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great job, OldDog :clap :clap .
    But you better hurry, or you won´t get to The Dakar startline in time :deal

:freaky
  20. OldDog

Oddometer:
    :rofl Can't see me getting to Dakar...ever! :lol3 Been out riding most of the day havin a fairly good time, wrestling with that clutch though, it's either grabbing or slipping, dunno whats going on:dunno . The engines loosening up nicely and really revs now, lots of bottom end:clap and way too much wheelspin:lol3
    Anyway, the party ended abruptly with the loss of electricity, just cut out and i lost everything. The wirings pretty dodgey so i'd say it's got a short in it somewhere. Had to push it a few km's but i needed the excercise, a good day shaking it down.