Olddogs 660 Rallye Rebuild

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by OldDog, Nov 10, 2006.

1. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    Howdy All, Just going over the Rallye this morning to find the elctrics fault, Dead battery was the cause! The battery is a brand new gell battery, dunno why it died, but i have it on the charger now ( i assume thats ok with these things?)

So the real question is, how do i check if the bikes charging the battery? Could a short somewhere have coused this problem? I had it running on the new battery for probably an hour, yet i used the bike for probably four hours before that on the old shagged battery, making sure i didn't stall it:lol3

Thanks!
  2. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    put a volt meter on the terminals, should be between 11 & 13 volts, then start the engine, should be between 13 & 15 volts, if there's no change, or the voltage is slowly dropping, it's not charging. you can also check for a battery drain by disconnecting the positive terminal, now put a trouble light or any 12 volt light inbetween battery cable & battery, if the light comes on, you have a battery drain (short somewhere), if any kinda computer is hooked up, or something that needs constant power for a memory, make sure to disconnect that before trying the short circut test. Good luck
  3. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rufus, I've got .2 volts draw off the positive terminal as you explain it, is that ok? Theres nothing that needs power when switched off. Havn't been able to start the bike yet, i'll wait til the batterys charged then i'll do the other check.
    Thanks
  4. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    .2 is insignificant. when you check the charging system, also check it with the engine revved to about 4 grand, some race bike systems put out very little at idle, but full charging at cruising & higher rpm's
  5. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips Rufus!
  6. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    Your welcome, always happy to share the few things that I do know, (which is very few) :rofl
  7. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Well Done OldDog :clap I will buy you a beer at Moonan :freaky

Im getting itchy to start the rebuild on mine . . . in a few more months :evil

Pezz :)
  8. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, your help has been much appreciated on this, specially that decompression adjust:rofl it was never gonna run the way i had it! I'm gonna retension the head tomorrow, fit the replacement new battery and it'll be good ta go!:ricky
  9. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Finished! All that's left to do is ride it, and i have:thumb This thing goes pretty damn hard and so far has gone everywhere i've pointed it without spitting me off:lol3 heres some better quality pic's of the assembly

Close up of the buggered gears
    [​IMG]

Gearbox assembled, a prick of a job actually, i know better for next time though
    [​IMG]

Bottom end in the frame, makes it easier to work on
    [​IMG]

Barrel and head in place the second time round
    [​IMG]

Time for a spell and a few brews, first time i've seen this stuff and it ain't bad:1drink
    [​IMG]

Okay all buttoned up and ready to roll, probably won't be this clean again:rofl
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Try to ignore that oil stain under it:lol3 and the melted rubber from my boot on the pipe:rofl
    [​IMG]

Out on the tracks yesterday after an afternoon of playing about in the single track
    [​IMG]

I've been doing a lot of oil changes, once i'm done i'll bolt up the bash plate. I've learnt quite a lot about these beasts during the build, theres been a few ups and downs but all in all one of the easiest rebuilds i've done. Thanks for the advice everyones posted here, especially Pezz and John North, plus Winsome at Prorider in Sydney, YOU ROCK! Craig Hartley for telling me how to operate the friggin thing, Woody at Race motorcycles for it's history and a line on some original bits:evil ........oh and Rhys for just bein there big guy:puke1
    And now i must away and ride the guts outa it again!
    Bill
  10. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    Excelent.

It will probably motivate you to ride heaps more too. I know my trip of the New years period on the 640 has. Sold the sherco, R1 is next then ride the shit outa the 640ADV and buying a 300 for the single track. (the 640 is a bit unweildly on the single track here. the 660 would be well suited to the off road riding around Cobar tho, wouldn't it ?)
  11. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    Well done dog.:thumbup
  12. OldDog

Oddometer:
    It is Rhys, but a bit too much vibes for the highway, so the GS is stayin. It's well suited to our style of single track! Short and twisty, through gullies, plenty of dust. I've learnt to slide the bike around the tighter corners, and to close my eyes and pray when it looks like i've fucked it up:rofl Still a bit phased by faster sandy / bulldust tracks, can't imagine why :rofl but you're right practice practice practice.

Thanks Davo!
  13. rjf

Oddometer:
    Yeah the vibes are a bit much on the highway. Coming back from Tenterfield I decided to save time by coming straight back down the bitumen way. I got that fatigued I had to stop and have a snooze twice, so it took longer than going up when I did half of it on gravel back roads.
  14. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    Bill,

I am totally in awe. Nice work.
  15. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    OldDog, thank you for documenting the rebuild. Interesting for those of us with the civilian versions. I want your airbox!

The battery looks cozy with the clutch (throwout?) arm. Lower c/g, and better breathing with that big airbox has to be a winner. Enjoy the fruits of your labors!
  16. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    :thumb Happy that you completed it. That was one of the most informative, a quick, rebuilds I have ever seen. The sad part is that it is done. Excellent job OldDog, that bike is amazing. :freaky
  17. rjf

Oddometer:
    Give it time SQD8R, give it time. it'll need fixing again. Probably the chassis and body work if Bill's true to form:deal

View attachment 99193

Hi Bill
    :hide
  18. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Ah Rhys, always the motorvator eh?:rofl At least this puppy will be easier to pick up!
  19. ChrisCrossed

ChrisCrossed Now sans KLX...

Oddometer:
    Well done OD - I look forward to being showered by rocks when you fly past in the Condo :evil
  20. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    Bill

I thought of you when I was watching the Dakar tonight. At the end of a stage this rider who had to do without service assistance (forgot who) peeled the plastic off a fresh LC4 & bunged her in. I wonder what they were doing with the used ones?

rossco