Oldie but Newbie

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by jpalamar, Aug 9, 2020.

1. jpalamar

jpalamar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Vespa.jpeg IMG_6435.jpeg Been a member for many years, but inactive for some time. At almost 80 big motorcycles just a bit dauniting as I've shrunk (height that is LOL) and big BMW Adventure bikes a bit unwieldy. So, at the behest of a dear friend, CLEARWATER BMW I've made the plunge and purchased some scooters. Yup, some. Have a Vespa GTS300, Kymco Like150, and soon a Honda ADV150. (Kymco is for friends that want to borrow a scooter).
    Has the change been worth it? A resounding yes. No more do I worry about putting a heavy e.g. K16GT R1200GS Adventure on the center stand as I weigh 145. No longer do I worry about weaving around in a crowded parking lot at 3 mph and having to do a YOU-turn in 15 feet. No longer do I need to race everyone on the road lol as certainly scooters don't get to play at that game. So, I ride like I didn't steal it as have no choice, I enjoy ugh, sorry, smelling the roses, and I take my Nikon with me and take pictures. I even have a folding Helinox chair so that I can stop, have a Coke, and watch the world.
    Do I miss a motorcycle, I unabashedly say yes, But, a visit to a dealer and trying to move a big Adventure bike around perhaps iced it for me that my big cycle days have gone by, at least as I write this.
    To those of you that know me from yesteryear? Hello! Not sure why shows me as joined in 2017, perhaps the new site is different than the old; but joined in 2005.
    Pete-NZ, klaviator, sealsam and 6 others like this.
  2. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    John,
    I'm glad that you finally started your own thread
    I hope that you will show a picture of your beautiful GTS touring and of your Kymco Like 150i
    and the adventure 150 that will come this week
    happy to have you back here
    please post some pictures and talk about your experiences with the scooters
    scooter life is wonderful
    there's no turning back FOR ANY OF US
    Pete-NZ, sealsam and Martijn Wils like this.
  3. CoolCarbon

CoolCarbon Elsewhere, for now... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep sneaking a peak at the Xmax 300 for similar reasons.... could be getting closer... :-)
  4. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    John,

Welcome to Battle Scooters and we hope you share your pics and adventures here.

Eric
    sealsam and Martijn Wils like this.
  5. Pokeyjoe

Pokeyjoe Vespa Primavera 150

Oddometer:
    80! Good job. My dad rode until he was 85 (R90). Heavy motorcycles have plagued me. I switched to a V7 (400 lbs), but, because it was just a little too agricultural for me, I tried a Dorsoduro (425 lbs, but tall and awkward around town). I thought a Bonneville was a decent compromise, but it was 500 lbs. I had an "off" with it (it just threw me on the ground when it went down) and I decided no more. I'm too old for that. I used to bounce when I was younger. Now bones break. I'm on a Primavera now. Under 300 lbs and I ride it everywhere. It's too small to take on the freeway (which is fine).

Welcome and keep posting.
    klaviator, sealsam and Martijn Wils like this.
  6. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    You absolutely never could go wrong with that Yamaha. I promise you.
  7. Martijn Wils

Martijn Wils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to hear your voice John, and welcome to Battle Scooters. Great bunch of lads here so you'll fit right in. I'm a relative n00b to scooters myself but am learning more and more about them with each passing day and am amazed at their diversity. I've been in the queue waiting for an 2020 XMAX which my local dealer ordered in June and says will arrive in October, the delay caused by pandemic-induced supply chain disruptions. Don't know about where you live, but riders in my part of the world went on a mad shopping spree when virus lockdown rules relaxed a bit and cleaned out most dealers of new stock, leaving nothing but a few odds and ends on showroom floors. Looking forward to seeing a few photos of you and your three fillies sometime soon. Cheers!
    klaviator, sealsam and ClearwaterBMW like this.
  8. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    Glad you added the pictures
  9. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Good move JP. No need to fight a heavy bike. And riding a scooter is riding a bike. Ride safe and enjoy your lightweight machines!
  10. Martijn Wils

Martijn Wils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, two gorgeous ladies. Have you got names for the girls, John?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    click or tap either image to enlarge
  11. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the fray John.

It's quite obvious you are not alone in the smaller bike category, they are just a blast indeed.

All the best, and like the rest, sure looking forward to your posts.
  12. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding at 80 is awesome... Having a second scoot for a buddy makes you a total baller!
  13. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    klaviator likes this.
  14. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    There's no getting around the fact that lots of motorcycles are just too heavy for me to cope with anymore. The joy of flicking the thing through a series of curves and feeling like you're dancing down the road disappeared some years ago, and left me feeling like I was struggling to keep the whole process from falling apart. Then I rode a modern scooter. And there it was again. Easy peasy. Just fly through town, curvy roads are fun, and I don't ever feel like I'm struggling to control a stubborn horse.

Maybe it's age, maybe it's some sort of male ego-trip that finally has calmed down. Who cares? I'm having fun on two wheels. Too many people get old, can't do what they used to do and just decide to sit down and give up. Screw that.

Glad to see another person has discovered scooters.
  15. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    You ll enjoy the ADV . Loads of custom parts on ebay to get . Eg crash bars etc . I look on clist where I live and see so many well care for touring bikes selling cheaply because people aged out of them but didn't consider riding a scooter. I started riding scooters 12 years ago with an elite 250 and never looked back . Hell I even know where to get 75 goldwing that's sat in heat garage for 25 years and as much as I love them I ll never go back.
  16. jpalamar

jpalamar Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's fun to be back. And, to add to the comments from my intial post, and some of the replies, scooters somehow make it easy to hop on, go, and not a lot of fanfare. The techniques one learned on a motorcycle carry thru on scooter as well. I rapidly learned that since no clutch, keeping engine revs up and not speed easily accommodated with a bit of rear-trailing brake. Kinda like slipping the clutch (friction zone). I'm trying not to be wildly enthusiastic, but carry a Helinox folding chair, bring my camera, and plop my butt at a nice spot, light up a cigar, drag out a cold Diet Coke, and let the world pass by. And, if I need to ride anything else, I have a sidecar rig, which is hosted by a BMW Adventure.
  17. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    I think your description reminds us all of our own personal XANADU that scootering brings closer to reality
    Wentwest likes this.
  18. MiniBike

MiniBike Still here...

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the scooter world John. I recognize my doctor's office in the background of your Kymco pic and there's a few of us nearby. I don't get out for any LD rides on my BIG Ruckus anymore, but since there's only a couple of them in town, if you see a fat guy on a silver '06, it's probably me. :D @AMAC1680 isn't too far from you and drops in with good posts now and then. But the local dedicated rider has to be @CashCow. That guy goes everywhere on his Vespas.
    The Virginian and ClearwaterBMW like this.
  19. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the scooter world, John.

Greg told me about you and said I would be hearing from you one of these days.

So, here it is.

I know that you bought the red GTS that Greg was eyeballin before he got the HPE>

I hope it has served you well.

As for being the most active in Jacksonville, I may be close, but Russ Dixon plans rides for the local 7 Bridges Scooter Club.

Three per week if the weather cooperates.

I recommend checking the club out.

You will fit right in.

Bill
    The Virginian and ClearwaterBMW like this.
  20. jpalamar

jpalamar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's Solana or Solano cycles/scooters, don't even remember full name. Scooter place on Beach Blvd. Saleslady wanted a pic, and your office just to the west; I know there's a doctor's office but don't remember the name. Are you one of the docs there, and should I amble by some day (with mask of course), let's say hello?

Have to check notifications as I wasn't notified via eMail. But, I was screwing with preferences and might have done it myself.