Olympic Discovery Route Road Closure

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by WolfNman, Jul 25, 2021.

1. WolfNman

WolfNman I wanna rock!

Oddometer:
    I just finished the ADV Pulse route on their website. I did the route clockwise but I think it's supposed to be done in the opposite direction. It's a great ride and took me 4 days to complete. Three things everyone should know about before they leave-

1. Forest Road 29 is closed and will be until mid-September. Right now the crew is about 14 miles outside of Forks. I tried to find a workable re-route but with the information I had available I couldn't. My GPS app shows an unmarked road that leads to forest road 2937. FYI This is not a possible solution. There are huge rocks blocking this road and it requires a permit to access. Do not attempt to go around the rocks.

2. There is a water crossing North of Wynoochee Lake (about 1.5 miles). If you do the route counter-clockwise you'll figure out pretty quick the road (forest road 2275) dead ends to a camp spot and there's a little trail that takes you down to the creek. Then just a little drop off of a log and into the water you go. After riding over some river rock a little farther North you'll make it to the other side of the road. If you're traveling the direction I did it will not be nearly as obvious. If a local hadn't of helped me I never would have figured it out. He'll never read this but thank you again Josh. I did this on a TE-610 with about 30 pounds of luggage. It wasn't easy. It was also my first water crossing and I did it without help. The water was almost up to my knee and I basically duck walked across but didn't drop the bike. Good luck!

3. There is a burn ban.

Enjoy the ride!
    thirsty 1, KojiKP, Watercat and 5 others like this.
  2. wallygatoresq

wallygatoresq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much of the trip is dirt vs. pavement?

What about camping? Did you camp at campgrounds or dispersed?

How long did you ride each day?

Looks like this may be a good alternative to the east side with DNR closing things down.
  3. WolfNman

WolfNman I wanna rock!

Oddometer:
    At least 70% dirt. There are some weird paved roads that you wouldn’t expect way out there. One that was just paved and dirt sections mixed in. That was fun.

I stayed at campgrounds. I was solo so staying at campgrounds allowed me to socialize a bit and gave the wife peace of mind. Two out of the four nights I grabbed the last camp spot remaining. I went during the week too. LOTS of opportunities for dispersed camping though. I found some really cool spots. Pay per minute showers at Quinalt! You’re gonna need it haha.

Maybe 8 hours and a short last day. I don’t like to do really long days. I do keep a brisk pace and without other people I didn’t have to stop unless I saw something that caught my eye.
  4. Derek939

Derek939 Available in Extra Medium

Oddometer:
    That musta been you me and my buddy ran into going east towards skokomish? We had the ktms
  5. WolfNman

WolfNman I wanna rock!

Oddometer:
    Yup, that was me. How did you guys do on the water crossing and Forest Road 29?
  6. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    GPX to share?
    I would like to compare to my last year's route as I don't remember water crossings and I did explore a lot trying to find both nice dispersed camping (none to be found on the coast Tribal land only and I think I was trespassing even being there on the roads) and was trying to find "new routes"...
  7. WolfNman

WolfNman I wanna rock!

Oddometer:
    Here you go my dude- https://www.advpulse.com/adv-rides/ride-washington-olympic-peninsula/2/

There’s a link right above the map to download the GPX.

The water crossing was getting across the West Branch Wynoochee River.

Here’s a picture from the Adv pulse GPX viewer map with the Google aerial background. image.jpg

I saw a YouTube video of a guy mentioning some of the roads on tribal land required a permit but I didn’t see any of those signs.
  8. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Thanks - those are the same GPX tracks I had, except I did it as a weekend ride - Fri evening from Seattle, Sunday back.. Did you do the EXACT route? I did not - here are the 2 compared.

1) There was a road closure North by lake Crescent - I had found a connector a bit to the east. Wanted to find a new route there, thus few of the "dead offsprings there"

2) I wanted to avoid the pavement from Forks, so I went more to the west - I believe this is not officially allowed and could get people in trouble

3) I have ridden the South portion previously thus I skipped the river crossing (now it makes sense, I forgot about that ride about 5 years back)

4) There was a lot of active logging around Coho, thus I found an alternate route between Coho and High Steel bridge.

Maybe I need to go back, especially since east is closed.

However, I know I was disappointed how "easy and unchallenging" the route was compared to the Cascade, Utah or even BC riding.

Routes compared - Red is my actual
    upload_2021-7-26_18-29-44.png
    No-Fret and shrubitup like this.
  9. WolfNman

WolfNman I wanna rock!

Oddometer:
    I didn’t do the exact route. Re-routed for NF-29 and bypassed the small loop North of Cresent lake.

The route is really easy. The WABDR isn’t challenging either though. Most multi-day “adventure” style FS riding I do with luggage isn’t challenging unless I get into a wild reroute. I don’t mind. Just haul the mail and enjoy the scenery.

With the luggage off I’ll get into some trail riding. Definitely a challenge with the 610.

Both are fun though.
  10. PNWRR

PNWRR A study in Mopishness

Oddometer:
    Updates are much appreciated. :thumbup

:drink
    WolfNman likes this.
  11. goayala

goayala Adventurer

Oddometer:
    new rider here, some of the sections near Sore Thumb seemed to be more than I can chew for now. Wife and I took off from Port Ángeles today, up to Hurricane Ridge and avoided the FR29 closure. For us newbies, how technical are the sections lead down to the Hoh and up to quinalt?
    WolfNman likes this.
  12. SmokeRing

SmokeRing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NF-29 is still a good ride, even as an out and back. It's mainly "paved" south from Hwy-101 to the "Notch", but a pure street rider would not be happy there. NF-2922 connects at the Notch, and it loops back north to near the NF-29/Hwy-101 junction. NF-2922 wasn't too bad when I was on it, and I think it has been repaired and improved since then. NF-2923 is a lower alternate route a few miles west of NF-29. I haven't been on it recently; it wasn't bad, but not as scenic as NF-29.

Some roads around Sore Thumb are pretty sketchy. I've tried twice to use NF-2920 to connect to NF-29, and failed both times on a 990. Smaller bikes/better riders could get through, but too much for me.

There are several campgrounds off of the Hoh Mainline Rd/Clearwater Rd worth visiting. These include South Fork Hoh, Upper Clearwater, and Yahoo Lake, all on reasonable gravel. The area east of the Hoh Mainline Rd shown on the ADV Pulse route I found to be extremely steep on a 990, and not much fun.

The roads out past Lake Quinault are good riding, and there's lots more good gravel in the area.

NF-29_alternate.png
    LuckyPunk likes this.
  13. goayala

goayala Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for that, taking off on my 800gs and my wife’s xt250 from forks today, so this is helpful. Did you have any info on the section from the Hoh mainline back towards kalaloch?
  14. SmokeRing

SmokeRing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode the stretch from Hoh Mainline/Clearwater Rd to Kalaloch for the first time 2 days ago. It's good gravel, but difficult navigation - lots of forks and side roads and I had to stop frequently to look at the GPS. There weren't any good views on the route. There were a few short spurs that maybe did that I'll check next time. This is a big state forest with a lot of roads. I saw a lot of forest road construction in progress here, but no sign of current logging here yet. On Clearwater Rd, just north of the turnoff to Kalaloch there is a significant construction project (bridge to a new logging area ???) that I couldn't grasp as I rode by. From Hwy 101 there was a sign that Clearwater Rd was closed some miles ahead, maybe this was it, but it wasn't very closed.
    goayala likes this.
  15. LuckyPunk

LuckyPunk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How dusty are the trails? Debating if I should bring goggles.
  16. wallygatoresq

wallygatoresq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tomasv - do you have the GPX for your route that you would be willing to share?
  17. Dan22

Dan22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NF 2923 is open as of last week. Just did it going south.
  18. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The sections from Quilcene to Cushman are good to go. I rode them today 60B607B9-FFEE-40BA-9709-8E065C77E338.jpeg
    Derek939 likes this.