Olympic Mountains Loop Fun Ride Sept 13-15

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by BajaDave, Aug 13, 2008.

1. BajaDave

BajaDave Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Join us September 13th to 15th for some great riding as we make our way completely around the Olympic mountains utilizing mostly logging roads. Suitable for all dual sport bikes. We'll be camping out both nights of this three day, 550 mile ride. You'll need a copy of our Olympics Loop GPS Tour and a GPS receiver (or a buddy who has one).

We'll be meeting up and starting the ride in the small town of Hoodsport along the Hood canal on Saturday morning at 9 AM. Find more information by going to the GripTwister Website and clicking on the "Upcoming Rides" link.

Express your interest in attending here, if you would, so I can get a rough head count and plan accordinginly.

Thanks. Hope to see you then!
  2. BajaDave

BajaDave Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    One of the few trails open to bikes in the Olympic NF. It's a fun one, and right along the route.
  3. bluesurf

bluesurf en dos ruedas

Oddometer:
    :super Great scenery!
  4. shinysideup

shinysideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Count me in Dave. I may even fail to crash :)

5. BajaDave

BajaDave Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Are you coming bluesurf? We're meeting up in Hoodsport at 9 AM Saturday.

6. bluesurf

bluesurf en dos ruedas

Oddometer:
    You bet! Who all is in? Speak up, peoples! :deal
  7. Blackboots

Blackboots Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New skins on the KLR, GPS in the mail,looksl like I better show up, sounds like lots of fun !! 200 mile a day sounds like a very long day, did I here right , somthing about Dancing girls, south of Forks , near some hot springs or Hot tubs ??
  8. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    This is a Monday, correct ? Looks like it'll be a mental health day for me ! ! !

:wink:

Yeah, count me in; been meaning to do this ride for a while . . . . .

I'll be on the Husky.

Robert
  9. catamountrdr

catamountrdr Crash Marvin

Oddometer:
    Just a question about the statement on the web site "must have purchased this years tour". I was trying to buy the 08 tour, but it wasn't out yet and I ended up with an 07 edition. Is that a problem?
    Also, are we following the tour close enough to have gas stops as noted on the 07 route?
    If the above is ok, I'm in.
    Curious why you haven't answered my emails sent to you through the Grip Twister's web site, btw.
  10. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    Oh boy, this sounds like a fookin really good ride.....one week after wetfest....I don't think the wife will be ok with this...:eek1
  11. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    DUDE....one weekend later and I would be IN but that weekend is no good!

Iain = sad to miss this one!
  12. BajaDave

BajaDave Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    That'll be fine. There are a few differences in routes, but I can brief you on them. Waypoint names on your GPS won't match '08 names, but if you are aware of that, you'll be fine.

With regards to email, haven't got one from you. Can you tell me if you removed the word "dot" and replaced it with a period "." in the "TO:" field of your email program, as instructed on the "contact us" page? That is normally the culprit.

You may also call toll free with any questions. You can find the number in the same place as our email address.

Hope you can make it!
  13. BajaDave

BajaDave Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Oh man... that sucks! Sorry you won't be able to make it Iain... it's been a long time! Well, if your plans fall through....

Here's a link to some photos from the loop when I rode it with a couple of friends a few weeks back... these were taken by K.J. (don't remember his ADVrider name).
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Fabricator/Aug 08 Oly Loop/

Hmmmm... I wonder what Toothy and Solo Lobo are up to that weekend???
  14. atomicfuze

atomicfuze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dave I'm gonna start working on convincing my wife I need to do this ride again before winter is here, ya that's it before winter! Anybody else got a better excuse I can give her?

You guys certainly saw some stuff we didn't, almost looks like a different ride.

BTW Dave that giant culvert area in the pictures is the place on route A where 2track and myself had to make that trail. Sorry I never got back to you with the exact location but my tracks got overwritten.

cheers,
    -Brian
  15. StoneAgeMan

StoneAgeMan Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Those are some beauuutiful shots on your page of the recent scouting trip!
    That's the route!
    KLR-650 for this one.
    :freaky
    I got it - nice book!
    I've technically got the day after scheduled off so I think I can do the old switche-roo and be there. Hey MasterChief - have you seen this one?
  16. MasterChief

MasterChief Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to get Monday off from work. If I do I'll be there. It looks like a great time and I have not been in that area much. Is the ride Wee Strom friendly?
  17. BajaDave

BajaDave Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Yes, Strom friendly. You know, you could still ride Sat and Sun and just ride home Sunday night...

C'mon... do it!
  18. BajaDave

BajaDave Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    You heard right! Whether or not it's true is a different thing altogether. And yes, you better show up...

See you then!
  19. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dave:

You're tempting me. :wink: I just returned from 8 of the last 10 days on a motorcycle and have to be off the bike this weekend. Next weekend, that's another story. I really want to finish the route that CT & I started last year.
  20. MasterChief

MasterChief Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, you talked me into it. :clap

I'm a GPS noob. I have the base map and Topo on my Garmin 60. Do I need anything else to run your tour?