Olympic Peninsula - sans Highway 101

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by M1k3, Jun 8, 2019.

1. M1k3

M1k3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The plan was to do the Peninsula Loop with minimal Highway time. We had most of 4 days, due to my Bothers work schedule. I mapped out a route, some roads I knew (most of the West side roads) some I didn't know. As with all trips, they don't always go as planned.

Day 1: I rode from Olympia to Elma via Capital forest to meet my Brother at Dad's house. He works nights and got off at 6AM, so he needed to sleep a little bit. We ended up leaving about 1:00 PM. We rode into town and topped off with fuel and some grub. Rode up through Satsop, stopped at Schafer State Park real quick, then hit Cougar Smith rd over to Wynoochee Road. We skipped the lake and dam, we've been there before.

I was trying to find a route from the east side of the lake over to forest service road 2204 and the Campbell Tree Grove Campground. We ended up way up a road we had no business being on with our R1200GSA's. But it was a blast! We got a washout that might have had a single track wide enough for a 250 to make it through, but we decided it was getting too late, and we were too far from nothing to give it a shot. We turned back and headed back toward the lake to find a camp for the night.

All the typical riverside spots were taken (to be expected Memorial Day weekend.) We decided to rack up some miles west and find something close to Highway 101. We ended up at Donkey Creek, right on the gravel bar. And except the D-Bag in the chevy that almost got stuck on the gravel bar at 11:45 PM it was an awesome campsite!

20190523_152822.jpg

20190523_205723.jpg

20190523_215039.jpg

Day 2: We were meeting up with Dad somewhere around Forks. We left camp late (about 10:00 AM) and headed for the Highway. Keeping with the minimal highway theme we rode around Lake Quinault, and explored a little camp that is about 6 miles north of the bridge across the river. This would have been an excellent camp spot as well. We stopped at the little store for a quick bite and a Red Bull, then mostly Highway to the Clearwater Road. There was a short detour on some backroads.

20190524_085735.jpg

IMG_4784.JPG

We got a hold of Dad and decided to hang out under the Bridge over the Queets River at the bottom of the Clearwater Road. Once Dad got there we headed up NF3000, past Lake Yahoo (we skipped it due to a bit of rain, and wanting to get past Forks for the night.) A few other detours off the Hoh Mainline and we were back at the highway.

The plan was to take Oil City Road, to the Goodman Mainline into Forks. We skipped this leg, again due to the time and wanting to get through Forks for the night. We blasted into town and stopped at Thrifty for a few quick things, hit the gas station and we were out of town onto what the locals call the A road (NF29.) We lucked out and found a nice campsite by the river and got set up before dark.

IMG_4821.JPG

Day 3: Weather was wet and foggy most of the day, but still beat the hell out sitting at my desk at work!! We rode NF29 over, stopped at Klahowya Campground to use the facilities, and fill our water bottles, then up NF3040. We had planned to stop at Kloshe Nanitch, but it was fogged in. If you ever get a chance to stop here, definitely do. I have been a few times when weather was good, including middle of the night for stargazing.

20190525_111030.jpg

We followed NF3040 and some other roads down the north side to Highway 112. It started raining pretty good when we got down there, so we slabbed it through PA and Sequim, with a quick stop at Walmart. Once through Sequim we took a right on Palo Alto road, and forest service roads over to near Quilcene. We found a sweet little spot to set up camp, right about the time it quit raining.

DJI_0170_Moment3.jpg

Day 4: The sun was out and the sky was blue, so of course we soaked it up before heading out, and got a bit of a late start again. A quick pit stop in Quilcene before heading south. We rode up to the Mt. Walker lookout (why someone would hike up the side of the mountain, when there is a perfectly good road, I may never know...) From there we hit the next side road, Rocky Brook Road (NF2767) and took that over to Dosewallips. We rode up Dosewallips Road to the bridge and were trying to hit NF2620 to come down the other side, but it was dug up. We headed back down Dosewallips Rd, and stopped at the State Park for lunch. We decided to hit the highway home, since my Brother had to work the next day.

I attached our gpx track, and I am working on the few videos that we made, and will have something up on YouTube shortly. Nothing exciting.

Attached Files:

thirsty 1 and Metalcarver like this.
  2. M1k3

M1k3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Graves Creek Campground - About 6-8 miles past the bridge over the Quinault River

20190524_100428.jpg
    Waiting for Dad under the Queets river bridge - Clearwater road right off Highway 101 20190524_125502.jpg

My bike and Mountain Views from Day 4 - Between Mt. Walker, and Dosewallips if I remember correctly.

20190526_114930.jpg
    Dosewallips River

20190526_122611.jpg
    Bridge over the Quinault River

DJI_0169.jpg

Drone shot from our last camp spot near Quilcene

DJI_0170_Moment2.jpg
    Somewhere north of Wynoochee Lake

IMG_0886.JPG
    Don't remember what river this was, somewhere north of Wynoochee Lake though

IMG_0887.JPG
    Little Quilcene River

IMG_4870.JPG
    Dad's bike at the same spot as mine above

IMG_4897.JPG
    thirsty 1, mick, Trip Hammer and 2 others like this.
  3. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    The road from the Doswallips bridge - dug up for repair or for closing? Went over it 3 years ago.
  4. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ups... edit. I was thinking of 2510 over in the next valley. Me shut up.
  5. M1k3

M1k3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looked like closed dug up. Here is a few video clips I boogered together. Not great video, but it wasn't our focus.

Snapper33 likes this.
  6. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful riding place. Thanks for sharing.
  7. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tracks I’ll give them a go!
  8. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Nice part of the world!
  9. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice @M1k3 :-) :-)

Have wanted to get up and explore the peninsula for some time now, but haven't made my way up there yet. Spent lots of time ripping around the Ridge on my gixxer a couple years back, but never ventured out on my little WR.

Lots of forest service roads to explore and stay off asphalt? Is it pretty crowded with dip$hits, or can you get out and away from 'em like you can in the Cascades?

So cool that you're able to get out with your Dad and brother, I'm really hoping my sons want to get out and ride with me when they're old enough.

Being a fellow drone owner and fan, what are you using?

Thanks for taking the time to put the report up, need to plan a weekend up there to go explore :ricky :ricky
  10. M1k3

M1k3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, happy to share. I haven't ridden much in the cascades, so i can't really speak to the traffic. For it being Memorial Day weekend there was way less traffic than i expected. The weather might have played a part there. Friday was pretty overcast and saturday was rainy. There are a ton of old logging roads off of the Hoh mainline, most of them either loop back, or dead end. Try to avoid active logging roads during the week, log trucks give 0 Fs and they will win! I am just starting to explore the east side of the peninsula but there was definitely more traffic over there.

I have a Mavic Air. It will fit in my tank bag if i need it to. Still working on video editing and setting up shots.

We always had dirt bikes and stuff growing up, but haven't been able to do much "adult riding" together. Dad got a hair last year and bought an R1200GSA, so of course we couldn't let him ride alone :)
    liv2day likes this.
  11. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for the shares! im heading there from colorado in september. camping ideas are well appreciated