olympic rally 500 gpx log

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by haydenslides, Sep 5, 2007.

1. haydenslides

haydenslides K Flotto-Myers

Oddometer:
    hi y'all. a few months ago i posted our trip around the olympic mountains of washington state on forest roads. finally getting around to posting the track log. it's patched together from various trips, but this is it in it's entirety. a few notes:
    the marmot loop route from deer park road to blue mountain road in clallam county is a RIDE @ YOUR OWN RISK!!! route. It appears that it is in oly national park on magellan mapsend topo, though i have not seen any NO BIKES signs on this trail. It's an old logging road grade that had heavy tree windfall on it, but the quad guys have since cleared it and are actively riding it.
    also, the east twin road has been shut down due to stream restoration. an alternative route would be west twin/bear creek road, adding a bit more superslab miles, unfortunately. i expect to see east twin opened up by our quad compadres soon.
    i'm really interested in sharing gps info, so maybe this will get the ball rolling for some more postings...
  2. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I may be up in the area before winter and the info you provided will help.

Just wondering, if I wanted to ride the complete route how long would it take without rushing through it?

Oh, do you have the link to your ride report?

Thanks,

Jon...

Edit: Just found the trip report.....
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241477
  3. haydenslides

Oddometer:
    when we rode it last time, we didn't include the quinualt reservation leg. be sure to check out tunnel island on the rez, it's at the end of the section that goes up the coast throught the rez. it's about a 5 min walk down to the beach and it's amazing! if you get early starts, i think 3 days, two nights would be sufficient. if you take your trip, post a ride report! if i can give ya any other info let me know...
    by the way, this route is not the only way to do it... i'd like to explore a bit more and find more single track connecting routes to make it more of an offroad experience...:clap
  4. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    Hey buddy, I'm out on the Olympic this week and I can't get your gpx file to load into mapsource, google earth, or easygps. It looks like the file may be truncated. Could you double check it?

Thanks a bunch!!

Terry
  5. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    It worked for me with Mapsource on a WinXP computer.

If you tell me how to include a file in a post I'll attach the copy I have.

Jon...
  6. John_L

John_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haydenslides,

I hope it is ok, but I'm going to pm you with some specific questions about the loop if you don't mind. I grew up in Port Angeles and I have been trying to find some areas that "go through" as it looks as you have done.

John
  7. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    I got it working. For whatever reason the file I downloaded was missing some ending tags. Once I added them, I could read the file! Thanks!

8. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    i have the disc for this ride and want to do a 1 day leg of it before the winter sets(i think i'm already too late) and want to hear some personal stories of the northeast portion.
    i want to do as much "off-road" as possible, but i hear that it's mostly FS roads/gravel roads.
  9. haydenslides

Oddometer:
    there are some overgrown logging roads you can ride in the northeast section, but mostly logging roads. there is an insane, steep rocky hillclimb off the slab camp road. good luck if you go, better bring rain gear!
  10. Lotus54

Lotus54 Ngana

Oddometer:
    I just noticed this thread. I've downloaded the file and will check it out.
    Just picked up a KTM 640 Enduro, I haven't had an off road bike in quite a few years (Ducati Multi for my street bike).

I'm in Port Angeles also, I was born here and rode every day it seems when I was a kid. Can't ride in a lot of those places anymore, so I'm learning the new ones.

Mark
  11. haydenslides

Oddometer:
    nice to see a local face! my buddy and i tried to get up to the foothills last weekend from the mt angeles side. about 3 inches of snow and scores of trees down over the trail... we got over about 6 or 7 trees and decided to head home. damn! foothills in the snow would have been fun. i'm afraid many trails will be blocked due to last weeks snow and wind. hope to see ya on the trails...
  12. Lotus54

Lotus54 Ngana

Oddometer:
    Can you access the foothills trail across the overpass (over the 'new' ridge road) and up through the burn?
    I used to ride up in the burn all the time, but haven't been there in years.
    I went up a bit the other day, but a tree across not very far up, and enough snow that the tyres I had sure won't work well.

Mark

13. haydenslides

Oddometer:
    yes, the overpass road is open, but might not be passable due to trees down. we usually start on the mt angeles rd side, ride the loop, then ride over to black diamond road, down BD road a bit, then get on the quad trails that go over to the burnt hill area and connect into 101 to go home.
  14. Lotus54

Lotus54 Ngana

Oddometer:
    I was up on the foothills trail yesterday, much of it was free of downed trees. There was one on the eastern 'loop' that was still there. I managed to get the bike under it, but it wasn't easy by myself!
    I didn't go down toward Mt Angeles very far since you mentioned all the trees down.

Might go back up today!

mark
  15. crashandburn

crashandburn n00b

Oddometer:
    Can someone post this track again? I can't get it to download.

Also, does anyone know how this route compares with the griptwister's Olympic Mountain Loop. I know they sell the route on their website, but I figured someone out there has figured out a similar ride.

I really want to try this out this summer.

Thanks a million!
  16. envirochef

envirochef Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sammamish, WA., USA (the lake, not the plateau)