OMG!!! Ponies!!!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by GotMojo, May 21, 2019.

1. RolyKBiker

RolyKBiker Road Worrier

Oddometer:
    Gutted for you!
    This has been a great thread and I get the feeling that the story is not over yet.
  2. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    You've done all of us a big favor, putting so much effort into documenting your build so well, and injecting a sense of humor with it. Those of us who have done sort of similar projects respect what other people go through with their jobs, and I've enjoyed learning from you. Thanks.
    Sergei1808 likes this.
  3. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad some of you enjoyed the journey so far...

It really does have to come to an end for now. Daily driver vehicle B blew up last weekend and vehicle A (this one) went on Friday. This leaves me commuting in vehicle C (my RV) which is less than desirable. I need to get a reliable ride for the short term. Any and all discretionary funds are now non-existent until I get that resolved.

A donor motor sounds like a good idea but I took this one from an unknown to a known state and I don't want to have to potentially tear down 2 motors to swap parts, etc. The cost, even if a lot of stuff broke is comparable. ˜$400 for Cam and Crank. I already have most of the gaskets that were in included in the 'everything' kit. See, I was already anticipating something like this happening months ago!

If the head, piston or cylinder are damaged I have the originals I can re-use. I'll know more when I get around to tearing it down but it's going to be a while.

Fear not, there will be plenty of gory photos when it happens. :hung

I also have to decide whether this is a losing proposition and just cut my losses. The goal all along was to pick up a CHEAP bike, not spend a lot of money on it (failed big time on that one!) and then pick up a leftover/used 300GTS in YELLOW after the SCBR and transfer all of the Malossi stuff over. Maybe that will happen sooner than planned or maybe I'll get another scooter to tide me over and possibly run the SCBR in it. I just don't know.

I'm intrigued by the SMAX but I don't think I'm going to love it and I would be riding at a disadvantage vs other SMAX riders from the get-go. Remember, power-to-weight matters. A lot.
    Pezz_gs, RolyKBiker and Rusty J like this.
  4. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, the hits keep on coming...

So there I was, sitting at my computer, :type trying to figure out a course of action when I heard what can only be described as a colossal ruckus that seemed to come from INSIDE THE HOUSE!

Uh oh is right!

Off to investigate I went!

Was it the TV? Nope, still hanging on the wall.
    Was it the fireplace? Nope, square hole is intact.
    Was it the broken scooter mockingly perched on the lift? Nope, still as pink and intact as ever (on the outside)

At a loss, I thought to myself:
    • What's the WORST possible thing that could happen right now?
    • What could disrupt my world so much that it could have the potential to push me off the ledge of scooter despair and into the void of total and complete misery?

(Yes, I ask myself long bulleted questions in italics. Doesn't everyone?)

Oh Sheeeeeeaaaat, I thought.
    Couldn't be?
    Could it be?

IMG_20190730_204250156.jpg

It did.

Girlfriends closet failed catastrophically.

Collapsed under its own weight, it did.:komet

Kids, don't let this happen to you.

Please, PLEASE understand gravity.

It's the Law!
  5. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So 2 nights and $300 dollars in Heavy-Duty grade closet rods, screws, brackets, etc. and everything is alright with the world.

IMG_20190803_164914878.jpg

Event put in a nice chandelier-like fixture. Of course it was cheap because Halogen Bulbs.

Not a big deal until...

... you find yourself with your head is up next to it in scorching heat for a few hours.

We can rest now?

Yes, wait, NO!

Craiglist automatic searches may have found a solution to our immediate problem!

IMG_20190803_162442279_HDR.jpg

2018 SMAX
    6000 miles
    $1800
    Bald tires but otherwise in pretty decent shape. I figure about $200 for tires and we're set for commuting duties.

Score?

God, I hope so.

Those of you thinking that this scooter will work well for the Cannonball are a bunch of F'ing Masochists.

MASOCHISTS!! :mrskbasa

The engine is pretty good. Brakes are awesome. Seat and riding position are going to put riders in the hospital by day 3.

Mark. My. Words. After 1.5 hours, my back is KILLLINGGG ME!
  6. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I am sorry the Pink Pony experiment failed.

You have made a fine choice in the replacement.

It is hard to beat an Smax in the Cannonball.

Very fast for its handicap while being reliable.

You are certainly resourceful, and can probably reshape the awful seat yourself.

And I will be disappointed if you don’t choose a pink cover.

Maybe with a pink pony on it.

Good luck,

Bill
  7. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who said it failed? You haven't been paying attention.

I am now a master modern Piaggio mechanic!
    I have also achieved Medici-level mastery of creative financing!
    I am on a first name basis with the guys behind the counter at the paint place.
    AF1, ScooterPartsCo and ScooterWest send me birthday cards!

I don't think I could disagree more. The SMax is exactly what I had feared it would be (and I'm now an expert since I rode it for 1.5 hours):
    • SUPERDUPER uncomfortable to ride
    • Seating position is AWFUL.
    • Steering at low speed is not great (mushy? Lacks feedback? Don't have the right word for it)
    • Dirt riding will be really challenging due to seating position.
    • Once I load it up it'll be 11 days of solid redline.
    I doubt it will be contender for me. For people with size and height disorders, I think it's a solid choice.

SoCal folks thinking about entering, get in touch. It will most likely be in tip-top shape and for sale in 6 months once I get things sorted out on the other scooter.
    villageidiot likes this.
  8. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    There's something very convincing about the way the BV rides.
  9. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may be a fat guy (old too) but you will never see me pushing a bike, pink or otherwise, down the road. I can barely even walk. So how much did you lose on the Piaggio? I have lost thousands of $$$ and a lot of blood, sweat and tears on a couple of failed projects. You just have to pick up the pieces (if there are any) and move on.

That SMAX looks super comfortable to me. Big plush looking seat with a step for a backrest. Unfortunately it is just a bit too slow to be freeway capable around here. If you are big enough to need to sit right in the middle of the step, then I can see a problem. My Honda Rebel has that problem. It has a 2 piece seat, and I need to sit right between them. Definitely not comfortable. I would probably have considered an older Vespa GT200 or 250. I'm on the large side, and find my GT200 extremely comfortable, even in my condition. It's a heavy scooter to begin with, and rides perfectly with almost 300 pounds of rider and cargo on it.
  10. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please, don't mistake me with someone who knows the meaning of the word shame. I bet you I made at least one person's day. That's a win in my book.

Besides, it was only 2 miles. No big deal.

Have you also not been paying attention? I haven't lost anything. The bike is in my garage. It just needs parts!

Great, come over and buy it in 6 months.

That's definitely a problem bit it's not the biggest. The low seat/high floor forces your knees UP and puts all of you weight on your spine. The Vespa and BV have enough differential to allow me to put my feet closer to my CG and use my legs for a bit of support.

I can also hang off either one. Will be a LOT harder to do on the SMAX.
  11. JerryH

Oddometer:
    No offense intended. I am physically incapable of pushing a bike. I had a bike (1985 Goldwing) that I spent a fortune and a ton of work on. One problem after another. I still had the bike, but it was worthless. I finally decided to quit dumping work and money into it (I hated that bike by that time) and sold it cheap to a guy who parts out bikes online. He got a great deal, and I got rid of something that was frustrating me to death. My Rebel has the same problem. Super low seat. My knees almost hit my chin. Not possible on a scooter, but when riding it out on the open road, I put my feet on the rear pegs, which allows me to lean forward a bit, taking some of the weight off the seat.
  12. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotmojo just do the seat mod, cut the hump out ,it will make the seat way better, it's in the Smax forum.
  13. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    Look, he says it's not for him. End of story. It's like tennis shoes - if they don't feel right they just don't. I had a Reflex and a Helix and both were terrible for me. Key words here are "For me". They are basically good machines, but I didn't fit.

What I would do if I was @GotMojo is spend a week just grumbling and moaning, then take the plastic off and get to work on the BV. Once I get that plastic off and safely hanging out of harm's way it's easier to dive back in.
    minimac and cdwise like this.
  14. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reading comprehension: -1

I don't love it. It's not going to work for me for the CB. What more do I need to say?
    Wentwest and CBRider like this.
  15. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Not every bike fits every person. My Stella is the most uncomfortable scooter I have. But. It is also by far the most fun. It is a reproduction of ancient technology, which I love. But for someone in my condition it is a short distance ride only. I don't really know much about the CB except it requires a lot of riding. And for that much riding I admit I would need a comfortable scooter, even though that's not what I would really prefer if I were in better condition.

Almost anybody can do a Saddlesore 1000 on a new Goldwing. It's not really much of an accomplishment. But on YouTube, a guy called Dodge Rider did it on a 150cc Kymco Spade and made it. Now that IS an accomplishment. I couldn't do it on anything with 2 wheels anymore. I would become exhausted and have to give it up within 300 miles.
  16. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you considered an Smax?
    CBRider likes this.
  17. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes he did, he bought one.:deal Look up about 11 post.
  18. Sl0rider

Sl0rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that was his point.

At least, I hope that was his point.
  19. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, but since his scooter blew up maybe he should consider an Smax.
    CBRider likes this.
  20. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought he might of missed it on his day off.