OMG!!! Ponies!!!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by GotMojo, May 21, 2019.

1. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have to stop somewhere.

It's going to be around $500 to replace the crank. Gaskets, main seal, oil pump and (possibly) cam means more $$.

I think at this point that money will go to better use saving up for another ride that I won't have to dick with.
  2. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I get it. My BV350 is looking pretty ratty these days. I went on a ride with a couple of Harley riding friends today. I was talking about doing the repainting and other work it needs now at 22,000 miles (crank variator threads are damaged, rotors warped, seat needs to be recovered, and several other things). One of my friends said “why don’t you sell it?” I told him it’s not worth anything appreciable, maybe $2000 at most. He asked why I would put all of the labor, parts and money into something that wasn’t worth much. The fact is it runs so well and has been such a good bike I want to keep it going, despite the new Xmax occupying the garage with it. It doesn’t make financial sense, but then most scooters don’t make financial sense.

If I went through all that you’ve been through with this project I’d probably just be burnt out on it and ready to have a good scooter bonfire. But with all that you did and considering the original goal of knowing the machine inside and out for the upcoming cannonball, it seems like you were almost at the finish line when this happened.

One other thing - if you choose to have a bonfire I’d recommend dumping the burnt up remains on the doorstep of the fuckstick who sold you a bum engine. I hate dishonest people!
  3. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hadn't thought about that. Thanks for bringing it up. :amazon

Registration for the SCBR opens in 10 days. First 2 city pairs announced.

Bar Harbor -> Killington
    Killington -> Niagara Falls

Now all I need is a reliable bike!

This year, meet last year!
    villageidiot likes this.
  4. Bueller

Oddometer:
    Really - wasn’t trying to stir the hornet’s nest.

I saw the pairs announced. I’m officially bowing out of the SCB. In addition to a host of things that may or may not happen in my life around that same time, I have ridden the northern routes across the country before. If there is a next time that I ride across the country it will be a more southerly route.
  5. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe need to decide what your hobby is, riding scooters or home mechanics.
    Ideally have an Xmax for riding and a Vespa for everything else. :lurk
  6. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're not following along. I have an SMax for daily use. The BV is for the Cannonball.

Or at least was for the cannonball.
  7. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    OMG!!! No ponies!!! I can't believe your luck. Throw it all on the front lawn and go buy a pretty yellow Vespa.
    maydaymike likes this.
  8. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I have a vehicle that runs well, I just try to keep it running well, and not worry about the cosmetics. I have bought a ton of new bikes, a couple of brand new cars, and a few more really nice cars. I used to spend more time washing, waxing, and Armor Alling them than actually riding/driving them. And it really hurt to get a scratch on one.
  10. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    You will get it figured out. I can tell from your posts. And if you start and the bike poops out on you halfway through, it will just become a different adventure. Most of the time you remember to things you dealt with much better than the things that went without a hitch.
  11. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I have been following this thread, and while I have missed a few posts, it seems like you are having a ridiculous amount of trouble, and have spent a ridiculous amount of money with nothing to show for it. You still don't have a running rideable scooter, and it doesn't look like you ever will. Maybe it's time to give it up and buy a nice reliable scooter that doesn't need any work, and get out there and ride instead of wrenching and spending money that doesn't seem to be getting you anywhere.
  12. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of the trouble was expected, some of it not. I've been very upfront about costs and expectations.

For less than $5000 I've set up a motorcycle shop with all the tools I'll ever need and the skills required to strip, fix and rebuild anything on a Vespa scooter. That's a pretty fair return on my investment and is largely inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. I mean, $5k is a drop in the bucket as far the entertainment budget goes.

You must be fun on the weekends.

... and you don't read. I have a plan B scooter that is running just fine.
    villageidiot likes this.
  13. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Due diligence pays off. I found a source for a new crank for $240 in Italy. The dollar is strong and event with shipping overseas prices are significantly cheaper than buying from US sources. Got an oil pump from Greece for $25 so I should be able to button up the engine for around $300. Not sure if I'll trust it for the CBR but at least I'll have the big pink to ride around town in.

Since I was feeling splurgy, I decided to live a little and made 16 year old me very, very punch-drunk-happy this weekend!

image.jpg

IMG_20190914_170543246.jpg

$5 beer at a concert? In LA???? Pinch ME!
  14. JerryH

Oddometer:
    You're 16? Forget everything I said. That explains it.
    minimac likes this.
  15. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :bash
    sealsam and Fiftygrit like this.
  16. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ladies and Gentlemen:

I have just received a Major Award!

christmas-story-50-leg-lamp-cardboard-box-1000-web.jpg

No, not that kind, although it *should* light up my life in a similar fashion.

All the way from Cypress and Italy....

IMG_20191008_171953285.jpg

Parts!

The slow boat lived up to its name this time. 3 weeks or so in transit. Cost was approx 1/2 of what it would have been to buy from US sources.

IMG_20191008_172238244.jpg

Hopefully it will have been worth it. We'll find out this week. To my utter amazement, it looks like the Big Pink Project is back ON!
    Rusty J, sro99, The Virginian and 7 others like this.
  17. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking good! You should be back in business in no time...
  18. Bueller

Oddometer:
  19. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Somebody in Cypress is happy to have sold that crankshaft, and you're happy to buy it. The power of the internet! I love it.
  20. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm having some serious doubts about the effectiveness of what I'm about to do. Mostly because I have zero experience with engines at this level.

From my untrained eye, the case bearings need to be replaced.

Damage on the sides is probably acceptable.

IMG_20191012_125258437_HDR.jpg

But the inside shows signs of wiping. I just learned that that's a thing in bearing-talk.

IMG_20191012_125210976.jpg
    IMG_20191012_125059936_HDR.jpg

Engine #2 is in worse shape. I suspect they ran it for a long time without oil or with very low oil.

So.... what to do? The babbits are not replaceable so I would need new cases.

At almost $1k, that's clearly not going to happen.

Robot mentioned in the GTS teardown video that normally this type of failure isn't a big deal and that he's only ever had to replace cases twice, which is encouraging.

Do I rebuild with all the malossi head/cylinder and risk breaking it all or do I go back to the stock stuff which, apart from having 44k miles, looks to be ok?