OMG!!! Ponies!!!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by GotMojo, May 21, 2019.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Drill it and safety lanyard the cap on
    Rusty J and The Virginian like this.
  2. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been tempted but there's precious little info on the SMax to make me feel comfortable doing it.

My eye is on an Aprilia SC250 for the SCBR. I think the form factor is pretty ideal for me. There's been a few popping up that have been priced *almost* right.
  3. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's been on the list from day 1!
  4. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This event is. not. cheap.

I've got almost all of the accommodations taken care of for the race itself. here's a rundown:

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 6.43.20 AM.png

For the most part, they're the event hotels. I jumped the gun a bit and booked them all through Orbitz to make sure I got rooms the night they were announced. Not all of the places had group codes ready so I paid a slightly higher rate on a couple. Most were slightly cheaper. I was able to save a bit more lot by picking cheaper comparable alternates that were close by whenever possible. I'll revisit the Eureka booking depending on how many days we choose to stick around. $170 a night is way too much. Thank goodness that's the one that's refundable!

Overall, I'm right where I expected to be budget-wise. $100 a night max for lodging at mostly national chains which will give me a reasonable chance to get a good night's sleep.

Still on the agenda is where to stay on MDI and how to get there. We're going to spend a week or so 'summering' in Maine beforehand. I've always wanted to do that and this is the perfect opportunity to do so. Touchdown location and stay duration is going to completely depend on the big elephant in the room:

How on earth am I going to get the bike to Bar Harbor from the LA area without paying more than what the bike is worth?

And the Hippopotamus lurking behind the elephant:

Will it get there when I need it to be there?

A lot of shippers quote 7-14 days. That's too big of a window. The last thing I want is to have to run around New England trying to find the bike the day before the start.

So far this has been a fun little excursion so far but we're starting to rack up some bills here. Spending another $800 to ship the bike seems crazy. I might be better off buying a scooter on the East Coast, riding it back and selling it afterwards. Crazy, I know, but remember that I only spent $1000 on this thing a year ago! Renting a truck and driving it out will be over $3k + 5 days of driving (3500 miles). Even splitting that up a few ways between riders is not an insignificant chunk of change.

Post up if you've got any novel ideas on transportation. I'm open to all right now. I've looked into the obvious ones -- pods (and all of the similar ones) -- don't service that part of Maine. Most 'motorcycle' shippers are north of $800. UShip is too unpredictable.

I've put feelers out to LA area participants. Hopefully I can get together with a few at the Long Beach moto show and come up with something.
  5. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are driving to Maine with a stout enough vehicle you can put the scooter on a bumper carrier. Any medium size SUV would do.
  6. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    If someone is going with you and will be following you back, you can rent a minivan in California and take out the back seats, load the scooter and drive to Maine, unload and do the trip back. Your companion drives the van back behind you and when you get home you put in the seats and return it. Costco says the 3 week rental would be $1350 or so. Over the next 7 months the price will go up and down and you can re-book for a better deal if one comes up.
  7. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    You are not entering this event to save money.

I have never added up my expenses for three attempts.

But whatever it cost, it was worth every penny.

Bill
  8. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Self supported.
  9. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This isn't that kind of thread.

It's sometimes an exploration of desires, broken dreams and the misery that is often the basis of the human experience.

There's a little motorcycle maintenance every once in a while.

Mostly, it's about furries.

20180730_175429.width-800.jpg
    Rusty J and CashCow like this.
  10. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Driving to Maine? :dunno

Why on earth would anybody want to do that?

It's 3500 miles away.

I'm flying. One way from LAX to Bangor is $200.
  11. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    For fun and adventure? Why are you riding from Maine to Cali?
  12. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who said anything about riding to Colombia?
    sro99 and hound dogger like this.
  13. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Sorry for my ignorance. I'm a dumb Canadian, thanks for teaching me. Why are you riding from Maine to California?
    hound dogger likes this.
  14. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leading a rebuttal with an apology.

You must be from Canada.

Winner! :clap

Mostly to get back to the other side. If you haven't been following along, I'm planning on riding the Scooter Cannonball Run in July. It's a one way deal.

Driving over to New England doesn't have much appeal since it would be an almost 5 day slog on the interstates. I'm not retired like apparently most scooterfolk seem to be so and that means I don't have infinite time to dick around on the scooter.

Nope, I'm going to fly to Maine, 'summer' on MDI for a week, ride the scooter to Eureka and then back down to LA. That's already pushing the 3 week limit I have as it is. If I had a couple of months I would be all over buzzing there and back.
    villageidiot likes this.
  15. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    i use Tim at Motoshippers.

got me a nice rate for a dr650 to virginia.

maybe you could ship it early, to a super rad scooter dood on the east coast. fly in to that persons area, do a shakedown run up to maine, and then run the SCBR home.

i think it was $650 for my bike to go from CA to VA.
  16. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    We drove from San Francisco to Cape Cod in a rented minivan in 48 hours. 4 drivers, 3 hours behind the wheel, 3 hours to talk with the driver and keep them awake, 6 hours of snooze time, then do it again. Not fun, but we got there.
  17. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    I went from eastern Oklahoma home to here in so cal in 23 hours, solo, straight thru.

made it Orange County to Michigan in 30, solo.

I enjoy it.
  18. Rusty J

Rusty J Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And for the Cannonball, it's about racing.
    So, they're the Fast and the Furries, yes?
  19. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're a weirdo. :norton

12 350-400 mile days are going to be plenty for me. I'd rather spend the days riding bikes on the carriage roads in Acadia!

In other news...

Princess Stinky is off the lift.

I repeat....

The princess is off the lift.

(rolled off, not fallen)

:rayof

Did a heat cycle. Bled the coolant. Triple checked that the oil cap was FIRMLY on and gingerly took a victory lap around the neighborhood.

Nothing like a middle aged fat bald guy in shorts riding around on a pink scooter in the dark to get the single ladies all hot and bothered.

Inaugural commute to work is TOMORROW!:happay
  20. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a conundrum. If it runs good and you make it to work, that's good. If it breaks and you don't make it to work, that's not necessarily a bad thing!