OMG!!! Ponies!!!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by GotMojo, May 21, 2019.

1. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And just to keep everybody up to date on expenditures and general preparation status...

I found a shipper for the bike. $550 from my house to start of race. If I can find 2 other bikes to ship with the group I organized, it drops to $500. I'm going with MotoShippers. They guarantee the delivery window and can transport a box of parts/gear along with the bike for a nominal fee. Fingers crossed.

Flights doubled in price since I last checked. :dirtdog

Flying out of Long Beach was prohibitively expensive. Best fares I could find were from LAX to Bar Harbor (LAX-BOS-BHB). Round trip for the GF was $700 and one way for me $388.

Had to tack on an extra day at the hotel since there was no redeye involved as I had incorrectly anticipated. Won't need to rent a car so it's a wash. Good thing is that the local puddle-jumper airport is less than 10 miles from town so it should be a cheap uber ride.

This whole thing is starting to feel very real!

Final checkpoints should be out at the end of this month. I guess it's time to learn to use the damn GPS now.

Princess is running pretty darn well. I'm cautiously optimistic that she may be able to go the distance. Should be ready for some long shakedown rides in the spring when days get a little longer.
    Rusty J likes this.
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    With regard to welding.

Orange County muffler in Costa Mesa will tig that on for ya right nice like.
    The Virginian likes this.
  3. pmillar

pmillar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sign up for an airline credit card and use the free miles to book your tickets. I got an AMEX with Delta a few years back and got 60k miles. (Delta has by far the most flights out of DTW). Tuesday I head to Anaheim for work (NAMM) and Friday my wife flies in to join me and we stay over a few days to visit friends and enjoy the non-Michigan weather. I think her ticket cost $12 for taxes after using the miles.
  4. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be sure to ping you next time I have to fly anywhere. Thanks for the offer!
  5. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, what kind of heartbreak does an almost $3k discount on a barely broken in bike get you these days?

Well,

Issue #1: The nose needs some touch up.

IMG_20200112_204049397.jpg

Hmm... That kind of screams PAINT ME PINK!!, doesn't it? :hmmmmm

A dab of crazy glue will hold it together for now.

Issue #2: It tracks to the right now due to material loss on the left flank:

IMG_20200112_204058613_MP.jpg

That'll buff right out. Not a problem.

Issue #3: The lever balls aren't perfectly ball shaped anymore:

IMG_20200112_204119299_MP.jpg

I have yet to see a bike more than a few years old that doesn't have a misshapen ball. TSOKTOME

Issue #4: The screen has some cracks:

IMG_20200112_204140692.jpg

I was going to get a bigger one anyway. Next!

Issue #5: The leg shield is smashed up:

(sorry, no before pics)

IMG_20200112_204111793.jpg

I frankenstitched the crap out of it, but not before I beat the bent metal plate underneath back into submission with a BFH.

My fleet now matches!

A new shield will cost $40 + shipping. I'll eventually get around to replacing it when I make another parts order from AF1.

Issue #6: The steering is slightly out of true. I'll use the old 'bend the levers over' trick I learned when I was 11 when I get it off the lift.

Issue #7: The glove box doesn't latch every time I close it. I need to rebuild the lip of the latch with jbweld. Somebody pried it open and ground it down in the process. It's very soft plastic.

I've saved the best for last.

Issue #8: NOTHING ELSE WRONG WITH IT.

WTF am I going to do with my time after the cannonball?

Oh yeah, that's right, I'll keep fixing it till it breaks! :imaposer
    cdwise, sealsam and Rusty J like this.
  6. wbdvt

wbdvt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you checked the availability of Uber in that area? I have run into places where there is no Uber service or it is very minimal at best.

I just checked for an Uber from Bar Harbor Airport to Bar Harbor and Uber stated no cars available.
  7. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert on booking airline tickets, but every time I have looked for prices on my computer the lowest price is on the first search. I swear they cookie your device number, and increase the price on a later search. Perhaps use a library computer to search, and when the price is right book on yours?
  8. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you search with google flights they do not cookie the search.

also tuesdays are the cheapest day to book, usually after 4pm
    sealsam likes this.
  9. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You did it once, right?

Congratulations, you're a bona-fide Internet Expert!
  10. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If only there existed an alternative to Uber and Lyft. A service that you could call and they would come get you. Or maybe a service that would have cars for hire waiting outside travel hub, say airports, train stations... You know, places where there are groups of people being delivered according to a published schedule.

Wouldn't that be something?
    Rusty J and maydaymike like this.
  11. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Firefox with the appropriate add-ons does not cookie the search either.

The problem is supply and demand.

I demand that an airline deliver me to a popular, out of the way place at a very busy time of year.

The airline says to supply my own plane or pay what they charge.

So.... I pay.

I appreciate the help guys but I'm pretty good at booking travel and using the interpipes. I'm only documenting this so people get a sense of how much it costs to participate.

Now, about that gray pube...

I'm absolutely gobsmacked that the collective hasn't taken this thread sideways and back twice with anecdotal tales of how to deal with it.

Pluck?

Trim?

Burn?

String?

There's a lot to consider here. :jjen
  12. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Finding a gray hair anywhere is a definite sign that you are not dead. Another big win! Finding a hair that's not gray, anywhere but in your ears, that's another big win.
  13. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reminding me. This being a tool thread and all...

I got this innocent looking medieval torture device for xmas:

https://www.amazon.com/Remover-Desi...f=sr_1_3?keywords=pluck&qid=1578929273&sr=8-3

[​IMG]

It susprisingly effective on the ears. Doesn't hurt as much as you think it would.

The big benefit is that it prevents the little lady from staring at that weird hair that sprouted overnight.

They're natural pluckers, those ladies. Mine is NOT shy about trying to go for the quick rip.

There are times where she absolutely terrifies me.
  14. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The handlebars clamp around the steering shaft, and can be knocked off center. You shouldn’t hurt anything by bumping them back to center.

Of bigger concern to me is your front tire appears to be pushed back towards the plastic behind it, but it could just be the camera angle of your photo.
  15. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike has continued to run pretty well lately so I decided to spend a little time fixing it some more.

2 niggling issues:

1. Poor acceleration from dead stop.

Solution: Lighter weights.

I had been running 10.5g Dr. Pulleys but since adding the Forcemaster they no longer quite feel right.

Fortunately I had bought various weights to experiment. 10, 10.5 and 11

In go the 10's!

2. I can feel the belt rubbing a bit when riding.

One of the downsides to the Dr. Pulley sliders is that they open the variator a little more than the stock rollers. This allows the belt to ride higher on the variator. In and of itself, that's a positive thing since it gives you more RPMs. However, the design of the case is such that there is very little clearance below the variator and the belt will invariably rub as it spins around. The belt will wear faster (how much faster is up to debate) but more importantly, it tends to catch the oil pan/cover gasket and sucks up oil into the transmission. No bueno.

IMG_20200115_204103059.jpg

This is how much of the variator range the belt is covering:

IMG_20200115_204053418.jpg

Solution:

Separate the two halves a smidge more by adding another washer. I had run this in the past and have always felt that 2mm is too much.

IMG_20200115_204235717.jpg

2 washers is 2mm.

IMG_20200115_211158271.jpg

we file & sand a ton.

IMG_20200115_212751168.jpg

1.25-1.5 is probably ideal but I got tired. We'll see how this works. I've changed 2 things at once so it's best to not go too crazy straight away.

My expectation is that I'll get quicker starts at lights but I'll lose a little on the high end. I was able to do 75MPH with a little left over with a single washer. As long as I can hold 70 I'm happy. Since the cannonball will be WOT for hours and hours on end, less wear is a good thing.
    Rusty J, Bueller and villageidiot like this.
  16. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That belt dragging will produce a lot of heat and eventually kill the belt.
  17. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fuel container situation has been sorted.

Giant Loop FTW!

IMG_20200116_212949193.jpg

IMG_20200116_212941765.jpg

IMG_20200116_212935094.jpg

Weight stays low, centered and easily strappable. Me likey!

Still need to think about how to transfer the fuel. Do I frankenplumb something (cap-to-cap) with a shutoff valve or just manually transfer?

Decisions, decisions...
    Rusty J likes this.
  18. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    If it was me, and it will not be me, I'd manually transfer in order to get that few minutes standing up. I wouldn't sit that long without going crazy.
    Trucker jay likes this.
  19. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next round of spending like a drunken sailor has borne fruit.

This came today.

IMG_20200129_183654990.jpg

What have we here?

IMG_20200129_183701289_MP.jpg

Great. He's buying a plane, one piece at a time now...

IMG_20200129_184151382.jpg

Nope!

These will hopefully address the vicious vacuum created by the Beverly Sail [tm]

IMG_20200129_183710154.jpg

I put this giant screen on the BV350 a week ago and found that it's giganticness has a price. Mainly, my ears pop and I get pushed from behind by the giant vortex it creates as it pushes all that air outta the way. I need to do something to break the vacuum and get some air in behind the screen to equalize the pressure.

There's no easy way to add some separation between the body and the screen so we're going to experiment with venting options. I have a similar screen lined up for the Princess.

We begin.

IMG_20200129_190526798.jpg

Carefully tape up the screen and mark holes, measuring twice to ensure accuraccy. Drill pilot. Drill 2" hole. Sand interior surface.

Oh, yeah, sand down the height a bit while you're at it.

IMG_20200129_192613091.jpg

No going back now.

Pop in vents.

IMG_20200129_192811114.jpg

That's it.

The vents can be rotated to aim the stream of air. I'll know today how well they work. It was kinda late when I got all of the plexi dust off of me last night.
  20. wbdvt

wbdvt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant! Hope it works and look forward to the report