1. eNewsletter Sign Up

OMG!!! Ponies!!!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by GotMojo, May 21, 2019.

1. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a reminder, what goes in must go out. Don't want to have to make too many pee stops. Where'd the backrest come from? Asking for a friend....
  2. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Utopia Backrest: https://www.utpr.com/bv250piaggio.html

Not cheap but there not a lot of options.
  3. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just staring that now. I saw the links to local places. I'll look into them once I figure out which direction I'm going to go.

Uh oh, somebody's been binging Netflix!

v1.jpg
  4. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...and just in case either of you are curious. This morning's experiment:

IMG_20200223_085504980.jpg
    IMG_20200223_085714945.jpg

Single shot, not quite-fine grind, De-pressurized mode. Not sour or overextracted tasting but I could tell that the water wasn't hot enough. Crema on the weak side, but produced enough to make me happy. Puck was well formed and not mushy. Should be perfect on the double shot basket!
    Fiftygrit likes this.
  5. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your review of that backrest. Lower back fatigue really limits my riding. Thinking maybe a backrest would help.
  6. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ruh Roh Shaggy!

IMG_20200223_121458311.jpg

What happened????

IMG_20200222_123547812.jpg

The Internet kids. The Internet happened.

I have not been happy with the Malossi Forcemaster. It doesn't seem to be doing a whole heck of a lot, or at least I can't seem to get it to do what it's supposed to do. I spoke briefly with a GTS 250 owner last month during a ride who had a similar setup and he indicated that the EJK controller was working pretty well for him so I decided to throw money at the problem.

The good news is that stuff like this for older bikes tends to be sold at a discount. I may be the only person this year who sources one. :loco

So, out with the old

IMG_20200223_121502073.jpg

and in with the new

IMG_20200223_151448818.jpg
    Unfortunately I had done a 'good job' at installing the Malossi and had to tear out half the bike to extract it from the rat's nest of zip ties I've created.

I'm really dreading working on anything that requires access beneath the side panels on this bike. EVERYTHING to the back of the glove box has to come off. :nah At least I'm pretty good at it now and can have it all stripped in under 30 mins. There's a life skill that has no other useful application. Sigh.

I only did a quick run up and down the cul-de-sac and it didn't blow up. Sounded OK with hardly any popping on decel so I'm cautiously optimistic. We'll see how it does on the commute to work tomorrow.
    sealsam likes this.
  7. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before we get to the latest round of updates, let's begin with the latest installment of "Awesome Tools".

This week I had the chance to use what is perhaps the single most satisfying tool I've every used.

Brace yourselves, it's a gardening tool.

Yeah. I'm officially an Old Man.

Last week I blew out my elbow pulling weeds with a little handheld popper. Feels like tennis elbow, only more painful. The weeds are knee high in my yard and they don't care that I'm broken so I had to find a solution.

I found it, and it's AWESOME:

It almost makes the job fun.

There, I said it. F-U-N!

It's incredibly satisfying to pop those carrot sized roots out of the ground intact!
  8. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And on the scooter front:

IMG_20200305_183640703_MP.jpg
    I made my annual contribution to the LDS breakaway group.

and I fixed some stuff that wasn't broken...

IMG_20200308_182934360.jpg

That's the bracket for the backrest. I wasn't happy with how far forward it was. It needs to go back an inch or two.

IMG_20200308_182954869_MP.jpg
    This is the original position

IMG_20200308_183017511.jpg
    And this is where I think I want it to be. Doesn't look like much but it's too far forward right now and once I get done modifying the seat I think it will be just right. Just gotta find somebody to weld it up.
  9. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The princess is all numbered up now!

IMG_20200308_183049509_MP.jpg

IMG_20200308_183037531.jpg
    RolyKBiker and DandyDoug like this.
  10. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been thinking about hydration a lot.

I think this is going to be THE most important factor this year due to the extremely long and (probably) hot-as-balls days. I get stupid when I get dehydrated. Well, stoopid-er. So I need to make sure I have a good solution to this.

Time for a list, it's been a while.

What I need:
    1. PLENTY of water
    2. Easily accessible while riding
    3. Nothing on my back
    4. Cool or Cold water temps
    5. Low bulk/packable
    6. Easy to fill with ice
    I like hydration bladders but I don't like riding with a backpack. I like the idea of the MotoJug but don't like the bulk of the cooler. I looked at maybe modifying the lid of one of my many vacuum bottles but couldn't find anything ready-made that would adapt to a hose.

The solution? A 3L wide mouth camelbak bladder (which I already own several of)

[​IMG]

with an insulated hose

[​IMG]

stored in an icemule classic (small $50)

[​IMG]

in my luggage bag

[​IMG]

Bam. Hydration covered.

Since I'm planning on riding unsupported, I need to carry my stuff with me and this bag is the perfect size and shape for what I plan to carry. It's not waterproof but a few stuff sacks will fix that problem. Cooler can be rolled up when not in use.

BTW, the Beta Plus is on clearance right now at $119. https://wolfmanluggage.com/collections/all/products/beta-plus-rear-bag?variant=571987925

I can either put ice in the camelbak itself or have a second ziplock in the icemule just for ice to keep the water and anything else cold. There should be a readily available supply of ice at each hotel so I'm good there. The tube will be routed under the seat and clipped somewhere accesible.

I tested the icemule this weekend with some bottles of wine (science requires lubrication) and I think it's going to do the job swimmingly.

fill.jpg
    The wine was pretty good too.
    DandyDoug likes this.
  11. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW my solution is an insulated camel back hanging from the curry hook fine fed up under my helmet with right angle bite valve.
    DandyDoug likes this.
  12. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like CD's idea , but it might get in the way of the fuel bladder you were talking about earlier ????
  13. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be more concerned with my own bladder!
  14. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing some folks wear diapers.
  15. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    No diapers for me.

I also don't drink much.

In 2016, I carried a water bottle in a woven holder that Quezzie gave to me.

In the entire run, I drank from it one time.

That was at a one lane flagged area. It was well timed as I had been falling asleep.

While riding.

Not good.

Bill
  16. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never heard of anyone wearing a diaper but a few men have worn external catheters with tube running down the their riding pants.

In the desert where I leave with my camelback full of ice (in really hot weather I've been known to put the ice filled camelback UNDER my riding jacket which helps keep me cooler). Just enough water in it to fill in the spaces between the ice which will melt as the day goes on. Riding from Las Vegas to San Diego in July I was refilling the ice and water in the camelback every 1.5 hours. No need to worry about stopping as all that water was evaporating out through my skin. A long sleeve heat gear shirt under mesh is what I found best for those 113f desert crossings. Unlike Bill I prefer to stay well hydrated so I do tend to drink a fair bit. Getting dehydrated can make you light headed, not good on two wheels.
  17. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good on you guys, you're free to implement your own approaches based on your needs.

I know how my body handles heat and what my hydration requirements are. 3L a day is a minimum and cold is best. I'm not worried about urination -- most of it will be lost through perspiration. If I'm not periodically taking sips, I tend to dehydrate quickly and stop thinking clearly after a while.
    sealsam, CashCow and cdwise like this.
  18. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    I blacked out in Arizona and broke my thumb, just from dehydration, drink lots of water people, that's all I'll say about that.
    cdwise likes this.
  19. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was this your inspiration for this build? got Mojo.jpg
    sealsam likes this.
  20. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good Lord, how can I unsee that?
    sealsam and rdhood like this.