OMG!!! Ponies!!!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by GotMojo, May 21, 2019.

1. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...meanwhile, on the critter front. My hunt for an elusive fat bastard I've nicknamed 'Mr. Ballsy' (for reasons that will be obvious) continues. This appears to be a dominant male in the area and has so far proven to be wily and elusive. He spends quite a bit of time posing for the camera and openly mocks me by sitting ON the trap as seen in the video.

I had noticed that he preferred to climb and didn't like to get down into the dirt so I placed the A24 higher up so gymnastics would have to be used when investigating. He'd actually poked his head in there and licked most of the peanut butter off the trigger before. He must have had good footing to be able to do so. Not any more!

The camera missed the event but at around 4:38 PST, Mr Ballsy dropped a new album, if you catch my drift.

IMG_20200725_062220434.jpg

Goodbye Ballsy. May you shit all over some else's BBQ from now on. :jump
    scot_douglas and eaglescan like this.
  2. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your advice hinges on the expectation that the reader is, in fact, smarter than the directions.

Better advice would be:

"Before you cut the lines, have your wife read the directions."

:*sip*
  3. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    no, i haven't read your thread since the very start of it, never was into the BV series of scoots. ill have to catch up on it in the near future.
  4. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    The older I get, the slower I work. It's partly just age, but it's partly because I get more and more careful trying not to finish a job too fast. That's when I usually screw something up. With scooter repairs I follow the instructions taking things apart (not easy when they are bad translations from Italian, and the order of the pages is screwed up), but going back together I think I know what goes before what and end up standing there with a part in one hand and mumbling things no one else needs to hear.
    eaglescan and Rusty J like this.
  5. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's all about being able to adapt and fix it without throwing too much money at the problem.

Although not pretty, it works and that's all that matters right now. Nobody but me will know what the hose routing looks like back there! :kumbaya
    Rusty J and Wentwest like this.
  6. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    You're completely right. I just really don't like going back to fix my screw-ups.
  7. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But you sure love it when others do and document it in all its glory, don't you?
  8. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    Yes, I do. Makes me feel all warm and cozy.
  9. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The hits.

They keep a-comin'.

Since Pinky's running so gosh darn well lately (by that I mean the 3 times I've ridden her this summer), I decided to tackle my nemesis, once and for all.

IMG_20200728_200142606.jpg

Yup, it's time to get the TT running!

You may have seen it lurking in the background performing the crucial part of 'shelf' and 'Amazon box holder'. It's been parked for yet another year since I blew the turbo hose, fixed that, failed smog due to 'performance enhancing hoses', deleted those and went back to stock, and subsequently started throwing and lean code.

This is really, really the last time I try to get it back on the road. I loved it but I've just lost interest in working on cars.

Good news?

The lean code was caused by a faulty coolant temp sensor. Seems that the 'OEM' one I installed a few months ago was really ÓYEM branded.

But...

(there's always a but)

Now the ECU won't talk to the ABS controller.:becca

Apparently it's a fairly common problem with cracked solder joints. Fix is easy enough. I just need to...

IMG_20200728_195218477.jpg

1. Empty out the contents of the engine compartment.

IMG_20200728_195208290.jpg

2. Flood the engine and garage with brake fluid after I remove the 6 brake lines.

I hate working on cars now. :(

Did you catch the scooter content?

IMG_20200728_195218477.jpg

Don't want to get accused of letting this thread get off the rails. Lol.
    Rusty J and villageidiot like this.
  10. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Module masters in nampa idaho will take care of that module in QUICK order for SHORT money.

I used to stock all 6 jaguar versions, and 3 for Range Rover at my old shop.

if ya sneak in there with a e torx socket you can usually remove the module without spilling a drop of fluid, the black box that houses the solenoids comes right off. Sometimes ya gotta take the whole module loose on its mounts and there’s enough room to sneak it out.
  11. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never worked on a TT, eh?

There's no room diddly squat in that engine compartment. The back screws are the problem. The module is wedged against the sheet metal and there's no room. Gonna have to get slimy.

I've used MM before for my display. Unlike some people I know who are buying MULTIPLE roaming vacation houses, I'm watching my pennies so I'm going to attempt to fix it myself. I'm confident that just re-flowing a few solder joints ought to do the job.

I have a soldering iron and I know how to royally mess things up with it. :evil
    Wentwest, eaglescan, Rusty J and 2 others like this.
  12. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Never worked on a TT, I can imagine how stuffed the front compartment is.

as to multiple vacation homes, that’s the dream right? I knew the little studio apartment one was gonna be temporary, but like hell im driving 3-4 states away and not coming back with it as intended, it’ll sell quick down here after a quick fluff up.
  13. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m told repairing most things on a TT requires the service position.

upload_2020-7-29_8-51-58.png
  14. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    I'm with you about working on cars. Everything I do on my Miata makes my back hurt. I have to reach in to get to the engine, or put it up on jack stands and crawl under it 17 times because I need a different tool, different glasses, a better light, blah blah blah. And that's a small, simple car, not an Audi TT. And @Bueller , that picture is correct. At 74, that posture is hard and if I'm lucky I can get halfway there and then I fall on my head.
    Bueller likes this.
  15. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    God I hate this...

IMG_20200801_114418896.jpg

After a little swearing and a cursing, it's out.

IMG_20200801_114414488.jpg

My multitool makes quick work of the cover. and we expose the PCB to reveal...

IMG_20200801_122637111.jpg

Awww... crap!
    The solder joints all look to be in perfect shape. :komet

No quick fix on this one. I saw a memory error as well as <No Communication> so there's something wrong with the electronics. Time to hit the bays...

s-l1600.jpg
    Part match from donor car with 45k miles. $70

Sold!

I had to remove the old controller to verify the part # as it was not visible when mounted so it's not a total loss. Good thing I checked as there is a difference between the 180 and 225 versions of the car.

Mine is a 2001 225 Roadster.
    Controller is 8N0 907 379 E
    Pump is 8N0 614 517 A

In case anybody cares.
    Rusty J likes this.
  16. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So today I decided to be productive on the scooter front again. I've been meaning to take pinky to the local upholstery shop to get the seat reworked.

Faithful readers should know by now that good intentions never really work out in this narrative. :(

What is it this time?

Well...

The GF says that the 'clutch is broken on the 4runner' and it 'died'.

It took some time to decipher that. I mean, the damn thing is 21 years old. It could be anything.

Turns out a 'broken clutch' means that the pedal doesn't return occasionally and that 'died' means it stalled because the clutch was engaged but she didn't know it and didn't give it gas.

Ok, that's typically a master cylinder problem. We can fix!

IMG_20200801_132107850_HDR.jpg

Bye bye little friend. You served us well.

Out with the old

IMG_20200801_144206623.jpg

and in with the new

IMG_20200801_132058845.jpg

did them both because the truck is old and I "don't want to spend another penny on it". :doh

IMG_20200801_132103090_HDR.jpg

Easy peasy fix but now the TT is back to performing its primary role of "shelf". :devildog
  17. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    So, is the clutch working again? Everybody happy? If the answer is Yes, you win.

The mysteries of those computer boards just leave me staring at the wall and mumbling. If you get away with replacing it with a $70 Ebay find, you are a double winner. I spent the last couple of days rebuilding a raised bed garden on our back patio, and shoveling dirt and charging all sorts of stuff at Home Depot. Not my favorite way to spend time, but SHE likes it, so I'll shut up now.
    Rusty J likes this.
  18. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm satisfied that it's fixed. She will take convincing. I plan to let necessity take care of that for me. Drive the car if you need to go somewhere...

or walk!

Don't feel bad, I develop the magic sauce that makes them sing for a living. I could probably figure out exactly what's not working with a little time and effort.

It's just not worth it. $70 is a bargain.

... because you know that the problem will invariably turn out to be a $.30 fuse that this idiot failed to check properly. :jack

Note: I DID visually inspect the fuses!!
  19. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm feeling kinda punchy so I'll toot my own horn for a change... :drums

This was my last project for my day job. I designed and wrote the firmware for the mouthpieces that Nate's talking about here:

Prior to that I spent a chunk of my life building the acquisition systems for these guys. I'm the fat one on the right. :jack

RolyKBiker and eaglescan like this.
  20. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time to get back on task.

Next up: The seat.

Materials?

IMG_20200823_112836580_HDR.jpg

Purchased. All that's left is the simple matter of learning how to build a seat. Should be easy, no?
    Rusty J likes this.