On Gobi but stil no rains

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by beba, Dec 16, 2019.

1. legionmanchild

legionmanchild Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking the time to post all of this! I must have missed the dates, when did you do this?
  2. beba

beba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    4. – 30.8.2018
  3. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    As has been said before, absolutely gorgeous photos. A great adventure. Thanks for posting it.
  4. beba

beba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    11th and 12th day

Nice two day in Otgon valey, I rest and I was fishing – greylings. Otgon mountain is holy. Every local people bow, when first see it. Evening mountain change colours. From orange, across red to black.

DSC_2496.jpg
    DSC_2497.jpg
    DSC_2510.jpg P8120242.jpg
    bungen, td63, orv and 6 others like this.
  5. beba

beba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More photos from Otgon Valley.
    DSC_2422.jpg
    DSC_2436.jpg
    DSC_2441.jpg
  6. beba

beba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DSC_2442.jpg
    DSC_2459.jpg
    DSC_2464.jpg
    DSC_2472.jpg
    DSC_2484.jpg
    Poka, bungen, td63 and 10 others like this.
  7. beba

beba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    13th day

I return back to city Uliastay. Across mountain pass Zagastain Davaa “Fish pass” 2492m I went north. Road was very bumpy and on pass my thermoswith finished work. I reconnect ventilator to switch from signal lights and switch on manually. Next road was across dry step, but road is asphalt. But asphalt finish before village Telmen and continue dust road in steppe. I meet Mongolia Rally on connecting etap. Cars and motorbikes. They waved me. Before Tosontsengel stop me Mongolian motor biker. He had Chinese chopper and don't have fuel. I got him few litres. In Tosontsengel arrive big storm. Few moments I thinking about hotel, but Mongolian hotels are very bad and unclean. Tent is better. I drove 20km in heavy rain by tarmac road direction Tsetserleg. When rain interrupted I switch from road to river. At local gers I asked and near pitch tent. In night heavy rain continued.

DSC_2523.jpg
    DSC_2538.jpg
    DSC_2539.jpg
    DSC_2541.jpg
    DSC_2531.jpg
    bungen, Foiler, td63 and 11 others like this.
  8. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent pics! Thanks for posting your travels for us!
  9. beba

beba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    14th day

Morning wake up me goats and sheep, they want eat my green tent. People from gers ivited me to breakfast – cheese and salt milk tea. I waited to noon when rain finished. I continued by asphalt along flooded river to Ich-Uul. Main road there switch from river to mountain and to Tsachir. I went along river by gravel road to Jargalant. In village I waited in shop, when next heavy rain finished. After Jargarlant I found camp with hot-spring and pool. Man are separate from women. I took hot bath whole afternoon. Evening I had good dinner in local restaurant. I slept in tent on grass under big pines, rain finished.

DSC_2550.jpg
    DSC_2553.jpg
    DSC_2556.jpg
    bungen, Foiler, orv and 6 others like this.
  10. beba

beba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    15th day

Sunny morning under big pinnies. Was cold, on grass was white frost. From Jargarlant I went to south by gravel road along river. I must cross river, but there was not bridge for car. Only narrow foot bridge made from logs. First I explore river cross. River was not flooded, but still had a lot of water. Bottom was soft sand. Nobody nowhere for help. I unloaded bags from bike and carry by foot bridge. When I prepare bike for pushing across foot bridge, suddenly appear local motor biker. He crossed bridge without hesitation. And he return back and help me with bike. Next way along river was one of most beautifully part on my road. Green grass, trees, yaks, goats, sheep, gers, friendly people. Next river cross has hard bottom, but middle of water stay yak. He block road. I drove to him and I must push by my bike to him. After that he slowly step aside. I crossed mountain pass 2347m, large forest was around. Road down from pass was damaged, I must avoid hole with mud and water trough forest. Next my stop was beautifully view point to Tsagan nuur lake. It is big lake inside old crater 2006 m above sea level. Around lake are gers and herds of yaks. Next way was very funny. Main gravel track was just along lake. But to flow few rivers and track cross these rivers. I saw Mongolian man with Toyota Prius. He drove by river cross and he get stuck to soft sand and mud. He must walk to ger and they help him with truck (they have good business with truck at river cross). I didnt want to go to river cross. I study path from car and I decide go up by river and find better river cross. After few kilometres I found small bridge for small cars. He was hidden in river bank. It is Mongolia… On next two rivers was same situation. On main track was river cross and bridge was hidden under river bank.

At Tsagaan nuur lake is youngest volcano in Mongolia – Khorgo , only 8000 years. Lava flows, volcanic gravel, ash. And also a lot of people. There are ger camps, dancing shamans, men with eagles. Very overcrowded, I just escaped.

By tarmac road around river in deep volcanic gorge I went to Tsetserleg. I want switch to mountains on south, but every where in valleys was lakes of water. Central mountain is definitely not good idea in this weather. After Tsetserleg I switch to river bank and in ger I ask for place for sleeping. My tent was near corral for young cow. Around yaks were cropping. They have interesting sound, they quiet humming. It it is relaxing and good for sleeping.

DSC_2559.jpg DSC_2568.jpg
    DSC_2570.jpg
    DSC_2636.jpg
    DSC_2637.jpg
    DSC_2638.jpg
    Hans Petter, bungen, Foiler and 11 others like this.
  11. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumbup:thumbup :lurk
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    So many beautiful pictures @beba . Thank you for sharing this trip with us.

GPS (Ger Position System) :lol3
  13. beba

beba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picture from morning with nomads.
    DSC_2657.jpg
    DSC_2664.jpg
    DSC_2670.jpg
    bungen, Foiler, orv and 4 others like this.
  14. beba

beba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DSC_2640.jpg
    bungen, Foiler, td63 and 7 others like this.
  15. beba

beba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    16th day

Morning I bought petrol, bred and conserve in shop at main road in Tsenkher. I switch out from main road to mountains. I followed up small river. River was over flooded, but I crossed two bridges and next road was on one river side. After 30 km I switched off from valley and went up to pass. I meet LandCruiser with tourist. I asked about crossing next river. They told me, that river cross not deep and is easy. Country around road was beautiful, grass, flowers, larch forest. Road was only lines in grass, but easy. I crossed river in next valley. River cross was long, but not deep and easy. Next beautiful pass with forest.
    DSC_2675.jpg DSC_2677.jpg DSC_2679.jpg DSC_2692.jpg DSC_2698.jpg
  16. beba

beba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In next valley I found park place for Tövkhön monastery. It is rule, that you must park car or motorbike here. You must continue only by foot or on horse. I rented horse. But was hell for me, saddle was small Mongolians and I had short stirrup. Horse was kind and I rode to monastery. Road was through forest, to hill, on top of hill was ovó. After 5 km I reach monastery.
    DSC_2735.jpg IMG_20180816_151332_1.jpg IMG_20180816_153346_2.jpg DSC_2708.jpg

Tövkhön monastery are on old volcano. I rock are volcanic tunnels. On top of rock is big ovó. Monastery is very old. Very mysterious place. In monastery are few monks. They faith on grass behind monastery. This faith is traditional. Monks was not true monks; men obviously go to monastery and stay here like monks few months.
    bungen, squadraquota, Foiler and 6 others like this.
  17. beba

beba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am returned back on horse. Man, who rented me horse, watch my bike. But he tried my helm and seating on bike. It is normally, no problem. I asked him about next way to Orkhon waterfall and if is there bridge across Orkhon river. Men laugh! Yes, bridge is there, but you see!
    P8160289.jpg
    I crossed pass and went down to Orkhon valley. Yes, bridge was here, but damaged by flood. On bridge I must go sharp up and next sharp down. But local people use it with heavy truck.
    I went up to Orkhon waterfall. Road is horrible, many river cross, soft mud. Around waterfall are tourist camps. Heavy rain and storm arrive. I remember, that 10 years ago I slept up from waterfall. I escape from tourist camps and I slept on beautifully place near river at local people.
    DSC_2756.jpg DSC_2764.jpg DSC_2773.jpg DSC_2774-Edit-2-Edit.jpg DSC_2776.jpg

Attached Files:

18. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just amazing

BTW you had a good time on the Intercontinental rally 2017, I did it in 2018!
  19. beba

beba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IR 2017 was my last rally. I finished with racing, now I only travelling a taking photos.
  20. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    beba, what a wonderful trip! What wonderful pictures! Wonderful forum to share all this!! You are very brave and capable to make this adventure. Very resourceful to repair thermo switch and to dump water from engine! Thank you for introducing us to people we only read about. Better understanding, thanks to you!