on & off-road helmat recomendations

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Red Bull, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Red Bull

Red Bull Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am considering an "off-rod stype helmet for Baja, (since nearly every photo I see of a rider there uses this.) I presently have a full face Arai and a very cool Roof "BOXER" that had flight hemlet styling visor and a FULLY retractable chinbar. However I suspect the full face is too hot (it also black!) and the retractabel does not allow me to fit goggles over (with chin bar retracted.)

Any recomendations? Models, prices etc. would be helpful, thanks.:uriel
  2. Jay

Jay Redbear Rides

Oddometer:
    John,

I have an Arai head so that is my preferred brand. I recently bought a new Arai VX-Pro. It is very comfortable, and light weight. Goggles fit on well, as do glasses. The paint jobs make you look "experienced" too. Only drawback is price ~ $400, but then how much do you value being able to contribute to ADVRider?

I used my Arai Signet on-road helmet when GS dirt riding (much dust) last year, but it sure was hot and the liner collected a lot of dirt around the face. The VX should be easier to clean and not collect as much dirt.

Have fun in Baja.
    Jay
  3. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    John, glad to see you're here on this forum. As for the helmet recommendation, a lot depends on your personal preferences. I really like to wear a dirt helmet on my GS when I'm off of the highway. It is very breathable, and looks good too. They aren't as good on the highway, due to the visor acting like a sail. Plus, even wearing goggles, crap can still hurt your face. Even rain hurts at 35 mph. I have a 4-day ride coming up that I'm really considering wearing the dirt helmet, but I'm worried about rain and such. I'll be doing a lot of off roading, so a dirt helmet would be really nice. We shall see.

As for model numbers, as with all helmets, go with what fits. The more expensive ones will have removeable liners to ease cleaning, and have more vents.

Cpt. Ron
  4. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Me too. We ended up doing a LOT of pavement at the Big Dog (poor planning) and my dirt helmet really made it a chore.

1) Get one that you can take the visor off easily. That was HUGE.
    2) Get a neoprene ski mask, or something along those lines for the high speed crap.
    3) Unless you are out in front all the time, bring some disposable dust masks or a bandana at least.
    4) Good tinted goggles are a must.

Then, GO LIKE HELL!
  5. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Well, a week and a half ago, I did a 4-day ride up in the Trinity Alps. I decided to go with my dirt gear, including the dirt helmet. Highways suck. For long term speeding above 45-mph, wind blast really cooked my nose and cheeks. Google helped a bit, but I still got wind blown. And bugs at high speeds really suck. Once in the dirt, there's no question.

Oh, and watch what vehicles you follow with an open helmet like that. You wouldn't think that hay from a truck would hurt too much....

If I was to do it again, I'd still take the dirt helmet, but I like cRAsH's idea of the ski mask.

Cpt. Ron:1drink
  6. Red Bull

Oddometer:
    I took the collective advise and purchased a MX Arai helmet. It's the type that you can remove the chin bar and visor, so based on your comments I think I will also invest in some sort of face shield. However, I presently use the ROOF "Boxer" helmet (see attached). It has a fully retractable chin bar that 90% of the time is retracted, using the visor only. Unfortunately my Scott model 87 is just too tight to make a good seal with the chin bar down... so I do not think it will work when rocks, dust and dirt are flying in my face. Perhaps I am fortunate that the Aeroflow works so well because my face has not been littered with road hazards... however I have felt it on my hands... so I know that sand and hay can really hurt at speed! However I have my doubts about this windscreen lasting in my off road adventures. So far I have had to replace part of it after a little tumble :umph As for the "looks"... hum I think I will have to paint it... to gaudy for my liking. I also invested in some off-road pants (Moose XCR) and will probably get some skate board kneepads, the plastic MX pads look too hot for Baja and I suspect I will not use them if they are uncomfortable. I’m not sure what to do about gloves. Any recommendations? I think my carbon Kevlar gloves will get too hot in prolonged desert travel. I have started using my bicycle (fingerless) gloves with gel palms… nice but I would like something over my fingers.
  7. Red Bull

Oddometer:
    Hum, some reason the attached image did not work earlier, so here it is.
  8. UnrEgistered

UnrEgistered Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Arai D/S (full face) unfortunately they stopped making them 2-3 years
    ago. Push pull removeable face shield and .5-3/4 visor that attaches
    with 4 plastic screws (either face shield or visor, not both). Hit the road with the full face shield and with a little practice you can make the switch at the dirt in less than 5 minutes. Can't figure out why there wasn't
    a demand but obviously not enough to continue production. :(:
  9. davidhpark

davidhpark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't remember the post about the Roof helmet but can't imagine anybody serious about protecting their melon riding with this helmet. I saw this helmet in the UK while helmet shopping with my little sister.

It's really cheaply made and the design is wierd. It's primarily sold to pizza delivery guys who ride scooters because it is inexpensive.

I have an Arai VX series helmet having started riding off-road in a BMW System 3 (with off-road visor). I wouldn't trade my Arai for ANYTHING else. Noise protection (with earplugs) is decent, my goggles (Oakley) have the optional nose protection which fits the opening perfectly.

For dust or cold weather I alternate between a silk or thermal balaclava. (this was in another post).

Anyways these are just a few of my comments besides the fact that I SWEAR BY the QuickStrap and have it on my helmet. This allows the quick removal of the goggles for fogging, dust, light, whatever without having to stop or put the hands in a dangerous position. It also lets me carry a second pair of goggles with different lenses ready to go and to switch in less than 30 seconds.

Ride on!

Regards,

David H. Park
    www.dhpmoto.com
    davidhpark@att.net

PS - John Saguto, this was the helmet that I took on my Baja trip (see website). You'll definitely want something better than the Roof and you'll need to think through your goggle selection and changing system because the light conditions vary widely.
  10. Red Bull

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the feedback. I ordered a Arai VX Pro (for off road use, I already have an Arai Quantum x. RE: the Roof helmets, I suspect you were looking at one of the many models they make that was not the boxer 99.. it has the UK approval stickers on it and like my Arai's had complex construction soft, hard and composite fiberglass hard shell. No padding in the fully retractable chin bar, but this is offset be being fully retracted... and I prefer open face with full eye protection ... just like the CHP use ever day. For the record Cycle world (UK) did some sort of test to see if bikes that could go 180 mph in places where they were permitted (Autobahn) with racers who have the experience... to see if ANYONE really needs that much speed. (I digress, but the lead writer / rider-racer was using ROOF helmets at 160 + mph speeds... so I guess this is good enough for me at less than half this speed! I do confess, I would like to have the option of not HAVING to wear a helmet... it is a whole different ride! But my better since tells me to use them. T love my Arai's and anytime when I'm upping the odds, I darn my full race leathers and Arai's (also Kevlar gloves, boots.) I was mostly looking for input for off road and the VX Pro seems to be the clear winner... so I will have my choice base don he conditions ahead. (bad pun) :dunno I suspect this is a personal choice question mostly, and value everyone's input. So far I have not had to do a "real test" and prefer not to! Thanks for your input!
  11. davidhpark

davidhpark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    John -

The Roof helmet that I saw was IN the UK and therefore had the UK sticker. Regardless of the sticker and what materials they used which is just from a regulatory agency I didn't like the helmet's construction, fit, feel, whatever.

Also, just because some test rider in a magazine wears a particular helmet doesn't mean that its a good helmet (at least for me). This especially goes in the UK where 'hooligan' biker attitude prevails and safety takes a back seat.

If you're looking for a good helmet for on-road use that's not widely available in the States and is tested on the GP circuit look at the Shark helmet. Otherwise, the money that Shoei and especially Arai spend in really checking the quality of their production is well worth it.

Remember that these are composite construction helmets and as such need to be made from molds, cured, etc. There is alot of things that can go wrong that are microscopic and integral to the final product. Only quality and testing can pic these up - it's just like making a helicopter main blade. The people at Arai know this and that's why they limit production to ensure the quality. I seriously doubt that people like Roof have the man-years experience and same procedures in place and won't trust my head to it.

As for testing the Arai VX Pro - I've had my share of high-speed off-road getoffs. Great helmet every time. Lightweight yet strong.

Regards,

David H. Park
    www.dhpmoto.com
    davidhpark@att.net