Once upon a time in the west - the CBXpo ride 2016

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JMo (& piglet), Jun 6, 2016.

1. Sunflash

Sunflash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great read, I am looking forward to my Rally Raid parts getting here and following your tricks from here and the RR thread.
    OlafofOregon and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  2. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Jenny's information packed interview on the development of the Rally Raid CB500X Adventure with John Mitchinson...more soon...

MIDDLEGATE STATION NEVADA-PONY EXPRESS STOP

Juan
    Nevada City, Ca.
  3. Nikoutdoor

Nikoutdoor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found that if you bend out (seraprate) the forward tabs (the part that goes into the swingarm first) on the chain adjuster just enough to cause a little bit of friction between the adjuster and the inside of the swingarm it will hold it in place so you can silding the axle in helps alot.
    OlafofOregon and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  4. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What tire pressures were you all running/wish you had run? I'm going to be hitting some of the same Mono Lake area trails you rode next month.
  5. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Mojo - I tend to run 30psi if I'm solely on tarmac, 28psi during mixed riding, and perhaps down to 25psi if it's really soft - although personally I don't feel anything lower than 25psi is wise on a bike this size and weight, and without rim locks.

27-28psi is a pretty good mixed terrain pressure I've found - I never went lower than that on this trip, which was a mix of dirt and paved each day.

Have fun out there!

Jenny x
    OlafofOregon likes this.
  6. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    A very interesting trailside chat with Jenny and Harold about riding and racing in Morocco and how that experience compares to adventuring in the West.
    Enjoy!

SOMEWHERE BETWEEN PAGE AND ESCALANTE UTAH

Juan
    Nevada City
  7. DownEastah

DownEastah n00b

Oddometer:
    This ride reports really got me wanting to go! Thanks for putting this together. Question for you on the Rally Raid stuff, do you know if they intend to offer a similar kit for the NC700X? Lots of people going the ADV style route with this bike as well but no suspension/wheel upgrades like rally raid available that I'm aware of.
  8. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi DownEastah - it's a question that regularly crops up on the Rally Raid Vendor thread, and my most recent update is here...

In a nutshell we don't feel the NC model is as appropriate for serious off-road riding as the CB (geometrically, weight and cost all being factors), however, the intention is to produce a range of parts to toughen up the NC and make it more suited to a 'touring' life away from the paved roads - key upgrades will include fully adjustable suspension, engine protection and luggage options... the jury is still out on whether spoked wheels (and this will only be in 17/17" size) will be introduced. Timing-wise, you are looking at the later part of this year (what you might consider '2017 model range') although once the suspension has been tested, it is feasible we'll be able to offer that more quickly (it is being developed in conjunction with our own CB fork cartridge upgrade which is currently in the pre-production phase).

Hope that helps!

Jenny x
  9. OlafofOregon

OlafofOregon Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I HATE pinch flats and bashed rims. I rarely fiddle with tire pressures at all. Instead I've simply learned to ride with nearly fully inflated tires, as JMo suggests.
    MrFiremanCarry likes this.
  10. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed riding with you! Let's do more of it
  11. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:

Standard tubes (not the heavy duty) pack up really small, even the rear. A customer shared a tip: use a vacuum sealer (like a Seal-A-Meal) to squish the tube and protect it.
  12. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the vacuum sealer idea.

Only other thing that I have been doing on all my tube tires is after I mount and balance the tire on my static balancer I then use RideOn Sealer Balancer in the tube. Don't think it will help with pinch flats but last tire change it look like it stopped a small puncture in the tube so maybe it actually does some good.
    OlafofOregon likes this.
  13. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Speaking of flat tires (tyres)...lots of new Motion Pro gadgets tested here. Learned alot! Enjoy!

GRAND VIEW RD. AZ.
  14. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah yes.. one of the reasons I try to change my tires at home with the tools I carry on the bike. Gives me an idea of what works and what doesn't and more importantly practicing my technique with what I do carry.

Of course when the day comes that I am all alone and with a flat I am likely to forget all of my accrued knowledge and start the panic spiral.

Thanks for the video!
    visualizerent and Wind_Rider like this.
  15. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this video Juan!

Some things to be learned here:

- Jenny is awesome, in case any of you doubted that !
    - British profanity has power when changing tires or any difficult mechanical situation :imaposer
    - You can still pack light and have all of the tools for 90% of typical trail side situations with a little thought and careful preparation
    - It is hard to beat "the old kickstand trick" to break a bead. 350-600lbs of force easily focused into the bead with the kickstand works like a champ. Some kickstands work better than others.

I would also add that this is one reason why I prefer tubeless tires for Adventure riding. If this tire would have been tubeless it could have been plugged with the tire still on the bike which is a lot less work and quicker. I have seen this type of puncture several times where a nail or screw makes a small hole in the tire but rips a huge gash in the tube. Any round hole in a tubeless tire can generally be quickly plugged.
    visualizerent and rsteiger like this.
  16. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    I agree, in this instance I could have pushed that nail into the inside of the tire and plugged it...

However, it is also worth pointing out that the rip in the tube was most likely due to me continuing to ride a few hundred yards in an effort to break the bead (which I managed on one side, just not the other), and that it is the flexing of the tyre and tube as it loses pressure than causes the nail to act like a blade.

I would also add that in this instance, it was clear that even the Cyclepump couldn't produce the volume of air [in an instant] to seat a tubeless bead without the tube being inside there to help push the tyre back onto the rim... for info. without a tube, one other option out in the field is to put a series of zip-ties around the tyre and squash it onto the rim in an effort create more of a seal, and hope there is enough volume from the pump to re-seat the tyre.

As Wind' suggests - catch a puncture like this quick enough (before the bead breaks away from the rim), and a quick plug ought to get your going again much quicker... but at the same time, it's still a good idea to be prepared for the range of other issues that might also occur - and carry tyre levers/a tube/zip-ties/puncture repair kit too. And don't forget your lube!

Jx
  17. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great interview about a great product. Thanks to both of you. JMo is so well spoken and concise - not so easy to do. Sadly, when the burger the size of my head went by in the background, my attention was permanently diverted. Hmm - a second viewing is in order - after lunch...
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  18. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Ha ha - yes, it was an EPIC burger!

[​IMG]

In fact I've half a mind to go back there and see if I can't add their prize T-shirt to my collection too ;o)

...and thank you for your kind words!

Jx
  19. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season?

Oddometer:
    This is the kind of epic threads I frequent this forum for. One thing is the CB500X part of it, but oogling tools-, trail- and tech tips from a well organized and experienced resource as Jenny cannot be measured sufficiently. Love it.
  20. NevadaWolf

NevadaWolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you do come back out this way, gimme a buzz. I love Middlegate's Western Burger and would love to see someone take on the Monster. :D
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.