Once upon a time in the west - the CBXpo ride 2016

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JMo (& piglet), Jun 6, 2016.

1. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's what I've been running. Glad to hear I chose correctly.

What's the verdict on the single 18" spare tube. Did you have any issues with it on the rear?
  2. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi GotMojo - I'm sure I've written this somewhere already (although it's possible it was just a conversation at the Horizons event the other week)...

edit. I'm not going mad - here is my original reply to a similar question - post #39 in this thread!

In a nutshell, yes a 120x18" tube works in the rear (and ought to fit in the 19" front wheel too, that's the reason I chose it - but fortunately have not had to try it yet) - and I rode another 1500+ miles on it before replacing the worn out tyre.

However, I would say use it only as a temporary measure, since the day before I was due to replace my tyre I had noticed I effectively had a slow puncture - and sure enough, on removing the tube, you could see a worn/thin section - like a blister - most likely due to the fact the 120 diameter tube needed to be inflated past it's design perimeters to fill the 150 tyre.

On a dirt-bike, you can get away with a 21" front tube in an 18" rear (although again this should only be considered temporary), but that is because both tyres tend to be narrower - however there is too much volume disparity between a 110x19" and a 150x17" for that to work with just a 110x19" front tube on the CB.

I'm confident that as a stop-gap measure it works well if you're tight on space in your luggage and only want to carry one tube. However, if you do have space in your luggage, ultimately carrying both a dedicated front and rear tube would make most sense, then you won't have to change them again.

Hope that helps...

Jx
  3. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    *slaps forehead*

Thanks Jenny. I missed that post entirely. I even had a hard time finding it even armed with the #... You are a hard to keep up with!

I'm re-evaluating my toolkit thanks to your new enlightened minimalist philosophy and it sounds like the 18" tube is a reasonable compromise for all-day outings. It will suck to have to change the tube again but space is tight without bags.

Oh, I just picked up a smaller pump that someone might be interested in. The MotoPumps AirShot is finally out:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/motopumps-new-pump-help-us-name-it-and-win-a-kit.1101839/

It's about 2/3 of the size of the slime pump I was carrying before. The case is about the same size as the slime but there is tons of room for all the small bits -- patch kit, valve core tool, sockets, air gauge, locktite etc.
  4. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    For anyone in the UK at the end of this month, the Overland [magazine] Event is being held over the weekend of 26-29th August, in Oxfordshire.

I'll be there with Rally Raid and the CB500X Adventure models of course, but will also be presenting two seminars/slide shows - the first as a condensed story of the Trans-Am 500 trip from last summer (with a Q&A session at the end of course):

[​IMG]

...while the second will focus on the tools, luggage and camping equipment I took on that trip, and further condensed for the CBXpo ride earlier this year:

[​IMG]

Hope some of you can make it, and look forward to seeing you there - it promises to be an excellent weekend of all things Overland and Adventure motorcycling!

Jenny x
    dcawd likes this.
  5. garzan

garzan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never been to England or even Europe for that matter, but to see that presentation is certainly tempting.
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  6. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your kind words Gar ;o)

If it goes well, then who knows - I might tour it 'worldwide' - although not sure I'll get as far as Thailand quite yet!

In the meantime, for those of you on the west side of the US, I will also be at the Horizons Unlimited weekend the following month in California (Yosemite/Mariposa 22-25th September) with essentially the same set list... ;o)

Jx
    boardforever likes this.
  7. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Just got the schedule for my two presentations at the Overland Event this coming weekend...

3pm on Friday 26th: American Idyll - crossing the USA on the Trans-Am Trail (TAT)

10.30am on Saturday 27th: Double or Nothing - hints and tips for packing light

Hope to see some of you there!

Jx
    Wind_Rider likes this.
  8. dagsvstheworld

dagsvstheworld Follow your dreams-everything else is bullshit

Oddometer:
    I can't wait to get one of these cb500 with the RR kit! they look right up my alley! great RR man!
    dags
  9. africanjon

africanjon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like I need a CB500 Rally Raid! Fantastic read, thank you.
    OlafofOregon and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  10. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hee hee - I think you probably do ;o)

Thank you for your kind words, and just incase anyone needs any more convincing...

Juan and I got together recently and made this little video too:

Jx
    visualizerent and crashkorolyk like this.
  11. africanjon

africanjon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, I might prefer my trials bike on the Rubicon.......just saying:dunno For everything else, you have done a great job selling me on the CB Rally Raid!
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  12. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Ha - I would have preferred your trials bike on the Rubicon too I'm sure ;o)

But hey, if you're faced with the seemingly insurmountable, at least you can muscle the lil' CB though...

Jx
    rsteiger and africanjon like this.
  13. africanjon

africanjon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Such a good set up, it is ridiculous!