Once Upon A Time In The West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RideFreak, Jan 28, 2018.

1. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    FR, Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send them to you. I had planned on posting them with the RR but someone PM'd me and asked that I don't post them, afraid the traffic would get too much in some of these areas. I don't agree since this is all dirt roads but I'll respect his wishes.
    Bullseye and maxtotow like this.
  2. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    RF...can you shoot me the tracks when you have time. I'd like to see the detail of some parts of this for a possible future ride.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed the Boulder Top video. Haven't ridden that.

Did the same person who asked you not to post tracks also convince you to pull the map. I thought I remembered one on the first page.

There are some good tracks for this area in Countdown's Great Western Trail private library on GPSXchange.com including a few ATV trails on Boulder Mtn.

I agree that virtually all of this is on relatively well-known roads that many have posted tracks for including me.
  4. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    No, I still see the map up on the first post, second pic.

That ATV trail wasn't anything special but it was much more interesting then the gravel highways on top.
  5. gregdee

gregdee Motocampist

Oddometer:
    RF - thanks for sharing yet another great trip with us. I've bitten off a lot of what you've shown us but there's always seems to be plenty more to explore. Gotta love Utah! Unfortunately for me the balance between free time and work is a bit upside down for the time being so I will settle for living vicariously through all the great RR's on ADVRIDER.
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Thanks Greg, I'm in the same boat as you, not enough free time.
  7. derosa

derosa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report! Thanks for the commentary and pics.
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Once we dropped out of the mountains the route goes into Torrey Ut, a great place to roll into when you need some gas and food, plenty of both. There was a little bit of rain as we were heading into town, not much, just enough to keep the dust down on the second half of the day. The DS Gods were looking favorably upon us because we still had to pass through Cathedral Valley, a large desert area with numerous washes that fill up pretty quick, not a place you want to be in heavy rains.

The Great Western Trail was our route out of town. The GWT is a bunch of trails strung together that go from southern Arizona up to Canada if you can locate them The route heads up over the mountains that border Capitol Reef National Park to the west so for a long distance you have this really nice view of the park below in all of it's geologic craziness.

[​IMG]

This section was probably the most technical of the ride, lots of rocks.
    [​IMG]

I dropped the 500 in here when the back wheel came up against large embedded boulder stopping the bike suddenly and causing a flame out. It was a long way down and the alum hand guard took the weight of the bike causing it to bend into the throttle tube giving me instant cruise control. Something I could have used on the 25mi highway run into Hanksville but not on a rocky technical section in the middle of the mountains. A repair was called for. Ever try to bend an alum handguard in the middle of the forest with hand tools? Me ether.

[​IMG]

The good thing was there was no shortage of "expert" opinions which made it a 3 man job :D We soon got it fixed and were on our way. Repair #2 for this trip.

[​IMG]

The ride eventually tops out around 10K' up in the Fishlake NF.
    [​IMG]

Next: Cathedral Valley
  9. ringokelly

ringokelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hollow Mountain is a place I have gone to since about 1981, when we would drive through with our boats to go to Lake Powell. Sad to hear about Hanskville's near demise, it seems anyway. It used to be you could hardly get food or gas it was so busy in town...The NPS and tree huggers and low water levels have really taken a toll on LP user counts, which translates into less economic impact for Hanksville.

OK off the soapbox...I need to get down there and ride some dual sport. Stop by Hollow Mountain if ever there...nice folks.
    DirtyJohnny and TheAdmiral like this.
  10. craigr652

craigr652 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chris,
    How much fuel did you need on this route? Gas stops close enough? Did you dip into the MSR bladder? How about your friends with the 3 gal tanks?

CR
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    I had plenty with the 4 gallon tank, the other FI 500 did fine with a 3.1 gallon tank. The 2 RFS with the 3 gallon tanks were a little tight. They probably would have made each section without adding any fuel but we used the MSR bag as insurance. I don't like to cut it too close so having 3.5 to 4 gallons along would have been ideal for the RFS bikes. Keep in mind these bikes are jetted for this altitude and were getting 45~48mpg, plus we were loaded down so they were ridden easier then if it was a regular trail ride. A RFS bike jetted for sea level probably would have been real close in a couple places if not running out. The FI bikes were getting 60+ mpg.
    craigr652 likes this.
  12. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well done, and glad the off wasn't worse - rocks are unforgiving when it comes to the body. Talk about a complete change in scenery as the video started to when you got up a bit; reminded me of riding in the forests out here.

What did you use to get the bark buster back into shape? Bending aluminum is always a dicey thing - stuff can break when going back the other direction. :baldy

Looking forward to the Cathedral Valley installment :clap
    crikey1 likes this.
  13. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    All we did was add a couple washers to space out the end of the handguard so it didn't rub the throttle tube. I got back here and tried to straighten it with my bench vise and didn't have much luck, it was bent inward just within the last 1/2" where it bolts to the end of the bars. The arc the bike fell through was a little more then 90 degrees and all the weight came down on the end of the guard, kind of a freak thing, other than that the bike was untouched.

Unfortunately I ran out of SD cards about this time so all I have left is a few pictures, no more video :dirtdog

I'll post them up this evening.
  14. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    As I mentioned I ran out of memory cards so the video was out. Steve, the camera man wasn't as enthusiastic as he was earlier in the trip, totally understandable. We were about 600 miles into the ride so I cut him some slack :D

The ride out of the mountains was about 10mi of fast easy forest roads eventually coming to this view.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cathedral Valley is really scenic, especially when entering it from the west end. The last section over the mountain was fairly technical on loaded bikes but it's easy to bypass it on big bikes and enter the valley from Loa UT. The valley is big bike friendly as long as it's pretty dry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you want to see what riding through the valley is like I have a couple vids from an earlier ride.
    Vid 1
    Vid 2

The Valley stretches for about 36mi till it dumps out on highway 24 about 20 miles west of Hanksville. It's desert terrain that crosses washes about every half mile eventually coming to an area covered by rock outcroppings that you can see in the second video above.

[​IMG]

It's a cool road that wanders around and through the outcroppings.
    [​IMG]

Lots of wierd rocks which isn't surprising since this isn't very far from Goblin Valley which is the center of the universe for wierd rocks.
    [​IMG]

The valley really goes through some changes from one end to the other.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Highway 24
    [​IMG]

Then it was back to Hanksville on Hwy 24 for a steak and a nice room for the night.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed your RR and popped in to say thanks for taking the time to post.

Eric
  16. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed it Eric.
    The Virginian likes this.
  17. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff! Utah never disappoints.
  18. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome place to ride.
    upload_2018-2-6_7-24-1.png
    DirtyJohnny, The Virginian and SAM13 like this.
  19. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Frickin' awesome @RideFreak!

I don't remember seeing it mentioned, what was used to capture the images? And I'm also curious - how many (and what size) memory cards did you go through when you were on the trip? Going to guess you didn't have anything to transfer the footage to, wonder what's out there that would enable this without needing to haul a laptop too.

Absolutely enjoyed the report, pictures, and videos; thanks again for taking the time to document your journey. What a phenomenal place to ride, so much terrain and variety.

Props man :clap:clap:clap
  20. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Glad you guys are enjoying it :beer
    zipweed and BillUA like this.