Once Upon A Time In The West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RideFreak, Jan 28, 2018.

1. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    I'm using a GP5 Black which I'm not real happy with, I'm probably going with a Sony next time around. I can usually get a day out of a 64G card filming a 1080P/45FPS, which is my DS setting, a good compromise between somewhat decent slow mo and fairly long filming time. I switch it off sometimes so that makes the cards last about a day. I considered some kind of external storage device like a big SSD with a SD slot but I've not really looked into it seriously. I'll just pick up a few more cards since they keep getting cheaper and I don't do these rides that often. The other thing to consider is if you're reusing the cards and something happens to the SSD you just lost the majority of your footage.
    Bullseye likes this.
  2. gregdee

gregdee Motocampist

Oddometer:
    Glad to see the trail side fixes occurred up in the cool mountains with lots of tree cover for shade. Nice choice. :D
    And thanks for the Cathedral Valley temptation. Still need to finish that lap as we were thwarted on big bikes by a wet snotty wash which we dared not cross. That was over 5 years ago now.
  3. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cathedral Valley is one of my favorite places. I've been there many times including on the 990 with my wife. Gorgeous and amazing scenery. Sure would be fun on the bikes y'all are riding.
  4. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    @RideFreak - also meant to ask what the stills were shot with? What type of camera was used for those?

Thanks for the insight on how many cards you used for video. I'm also running a GP5 for helmet footage, it's so-so. Between the GP and now having a drone, I need to start searching for good deals on microSD cards...lol. Picked up a couple Samsung EVO+ 64Gb for $20 each on special a few weeks ago...should have bought 6 or 8 of 'em :doh

And that's a great point about the larger storage and potentially losing all your footage. SD cards are easier to keep track of anyway...lol.

Thanks again for the outstanding report; wish there was more as we're still several months out from doing any riding like this here.
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    The cameras were regular I-Phones set on HDR. I'm very good at breaking a regular camera when I'm on a ride.

I've got some last day canyon footage riding on pavement, I'm going to see if I can come up with a short video.
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    A bit of Highway 95:D
    Fast1, kennyh, everetto and 4 others like this.
  7. FamilyRider

FamilyRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! There is water in Lake Powell!

A few years ago when we did our Cedar Mesa/Bears Ears ride, we decided to drive home on Hwy 95 for a change of scenery. My daughter was really excited to finally see Lake Powell. But when we got there, it wasn't there. It was still dry when we did our ride in the Maze District. I guess we ought to head back down there before this year's bismal snow-pack causes it to go dry again.
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    If you'll notice all the campers in the one picture it was one I used from another ride, the marina was a ghost town this trip. The water was up much further then I expected though, only about a couple hundred yards from the end of the boat ramp. Last year there was just a small patch of the river passing the area where the ramp is. From the looks of things so far this winter I don't think you'll see much water next summer. The lack of rain/snow this year is alarming. I'm expecting the fire season to be bad this year.
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Time to finish up this report. Not allot to add, the ride back covered allot of the same trails once we were south of Hite marina. There's a bridge crossing a deep canyon on the road, I always stop there and pick up a big rock to drop off the bridge. It's at least a 100' down and when the rock hits it's pretty cool. It immediately explodes with a loud bang that echos off the canyon walls. Kinda stupid I know but it's highly entertaining.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a trail I planned to take that runs east at Jacobs Chair and connects up to Woodenshoe road up on top of the mesa, it started off great and was looking like it would be a nice section of the ride but a part of it goes up a shelf road and there had been a rock slide, boulders the size of pickups. I wasn't up to trying to drag the bikes over it so we backtracked, hit 95 south for about 10 miles and turned in on an obscure 2 track that was on the map. It went for a long ways and eventually connected up with Woodenshoe road.

Woodenshoe Road
    [​IMG]

The rest was a fast run into Monticello and on to the 3 step.

This time we got the Cowboy cabins. Nice digs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The welcoming committee was there to greet us.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scott grilled up some thick juicy steaks that were delicious, best meal of the ride :dukegirl

Afterwards we toasted the ride around the campfire :beer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We met a guy riding the TAT on a KTM250XCW (2 stroke). My hat's off to the guy, a 250cc 2 stroke is not the bike I'd have chosen to run to the store let alone a 5000 mile DS ride. He was a likable fellow and had some interesting stories. That bottle holder near the kickstart is for 2 stroke oil, I think he carried a gallon :D.
    [​IMG]

That's pretty much it. We loaded up the bikes the next morning and returned to the real world :2cry

It sure was a great ride! :ricky
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report. Where was the road up past Jacob's Chair blocked in relationship to the chair itself. I haven't ridden this but it is on the option list for our next trip.

Going to have to figure how to work a stop at the Three Step into one of our trips too. The owner introduced himself to us and told us about the place a few years ago when we had stopped for gas in Monticello.
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    The slide isn't far in, probably about 4 miles from Highway 95 but still a good ways from the chair itself, it's worth checking on since it doesn't take long to do so. That side of the highway has always intrigued me with the deep canyons snaking around. I've not been to the other side which I hope to do one day.

The Three Step is the best moto friendly lodging places I've been to. Scott has a shop to work on the bikes if needed, the food is excellent and geared toward hungry guys. Being able to park the vehicles there for a week was really nice for us. I highly recommend it to anyone needing a place to stay in the area.

Sy shared your plan with me. Looks like a great trip, I like the spoke idea to cut out some of the big stretches and still see be able to ride the best of that area.
  12. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great way to wrap up the report @RideFreak! I have to get down there and ride, want to get my family down to the 3 Step and do a combo vacation at some point too. I liked the pics at the end of your final video; good way to finish it.

Thanks a ton for the diversion and entertainment, truly awesome place to explore.
  13. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    It was my pleasure, glad you enjoyed it.
  14. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    Great report
    4 of us Rode Poison Spider a year ago on Tenere's, Good fun.
  15. ADK

ADK crush knit

Oddometer:
    Wow, you certainly do make a lot of videos. I'm guessing you can do one fairly quickly now? :dunno
  16. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    That would be a handful, my hat's off to you, it's pretty sandy in spots.
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    It's never very fast, I usually start on one, then go away from it for a few days then when I come back I see stuff I want to cut out so that helps narrow it down allot. There's easily 3 - 4 hours work for a decent 10 min video and it's cut from 1 ~ 3 hours of video. My work often involves waiting for something to break and I work out of the house so I'm lucky that I can spend some of my time on this, don't tell my boss though. :D
    ADK, TheAdmiral and simbaboy like this.
  18. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Another great ride report! Thanks for sharing it with us. I gotta do this ride
  19. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed your RR there RF, I just wish your photographer could keep the pics coming there at the end. I am really fascinated by this same area and would like to tour it someday.
    I must ask about how long would it take to get from 3step resort to say southern Moab area (Lockhart, Kane Creek) , and can it be done all dirt and or trails? I suspect it would be all dusty county roads.
  20. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Thanks. PM inmate @DingWeed. He owns the Three Step and knows all the routes around the place. Kane creek isn’t far, I’d say about 15mi.