Once Upon A Time In The West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RideFreak, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Yroc

Yroc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DirtyJohnny and Baja Ho like this.
  2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that Yroc, The other side is rarely traveled, interesting to see that part of it.

The music made me feel like I was back in 3rd grade, I wanted to lay my head down on the desk and take a nap :D
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I recall the 3 Step is on the TAT. Thus you could take the TAT to Moab. Again as best I recall there are some county roads, then, maybe some pavement, but then you get to go over the La Sals via a fun road. And then Sand Flats into Moab. You could also hook up with the UTBDR. It also goes over the La Sals, but on what sounds like a pretty difficult road.

I believe these routes would take about half a day.
  4. Yroc

Yroc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought that was a great find when I stumbled across it. I have a long history with HITR. My family has gone to Lake Powell my entire life by boat and camped on the lake. In High School I started driving to the top of HITR and dropping my motorbike, then driving back to whatever canyon I was wanting to hike, then would spend a couple days hiking down to the lake (read, epic depending on lake level)..then I would get picked up by my family already camping on the lake, spend a couple days there and then hike out HITR, jump on the bike and then go get the truck... Really, I didn't know how much those adventures would mean to me now, I wish I could do them, but it just seems like that was a lot of work and sometimes suffering....

I forgot gas for the bike one year and had to hike up with a can....

[​IMG]

At least the bike was still up there...

[​IMG]
    RevyRider, BillUA, thegraydog and 6 others like this.
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Tracks are posted here :deal
    liv2day, DC950, Bob and 1 other person like this.
  6. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    Great report, thanks for posting. I need to move that Utah ride up on my bucket list.
  7. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Thanks @wbbnm I will take a closer look at the TAT track and more so at the UTBDR. I don't mind a "difficult road".
  8. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ride Freak,
    Thanks for posting a link to the tracks. We are going to southern Utah in May and these will be very helpful.
    RideFreak likes this.
  9. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great Ride Report, thanks Ride Freak!
  10. Pantah

Pantah PJ Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes thanks for the report and the tracks. I have been snow birding in Scottsdale for a few years and am moving permanent next month. I have a KTM 690 and a Honda AT out there. I rode a WR250R the length of Smokey Mountain Rd solo, and then on to SLC where I picked up buddy and rode the Pony Express Trail to hwy 93 in Nevada. I'd like to try some of your route but avoid the technical parts as the 690 is still a pretty big bike for me. BTW the fix-it guy in Escalante reached out to me twice too! He was a nice enough guy just looking for some work. Anyway, thanks for such a great report! I like that you explain the road surfaces. Very helpful to people like me.
  11. pebmr

pebmr Retired Marathoner

Oddometer:
    I woulda paid $10 a gallon when I found this place last year...
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Glad to help CC, any ride in SE Utah is going to be a good one.

EP, my pleasure. :thumbup

That sounds like a great ride you guys did. SMR solo is no joke, it's very remote in some spots. We did SMR a few years ago and it was a really memorable part of that ride.

Alstrom Point off SMR
    [​IMG]
    RevyRider, MadRider777 and Fast1 like this.
  13. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    BH, you really can't go wrong riding SE Utah. It's got a nice wow factor :evil
    bikerjim2000 likes this.
  14. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Outstanding report and video was exceptional, especially the audio/music you selected. Wish I had those talents.

If I recall you mentioned that you use the Hero 5 Black for filming.

I also have that same GoPro and found that I can use any video I've taken on trips for still photos. I use GoPro Quick to extract out a still photo of anything I feel looks good from the video. For example this one was taken from a video while just north of the Abajo mountains in Utah last fall when these outlaws crossed 5' in front of me showing who still rules the west. When in very picturesque locations you can just GoPro everything from various spots and angles, only to edit out the best still photos back at home. Works like a charm. Quality may suffer, dependent on video settings, in comparison to an expensive digital SLR but there are action photos you will never get with a regular camera.. if video is set at 4K, quality does improve on the extracted still photos .

[​IMG]

Here is an example of one that fits your ride report location (Utah), taken from video while standing on the bike going down Moki Dugway looking towards Muley point.

Sorry RF about the thread high jack.. Wish I could have tailed that dust storm you 4 guys left behind on this ride.. epic!

[​IMG]
  15. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Moki dugway is a great ride, anything in southern Utah gets my attention. We're headed through there in June.

I do take some caps sometimes from the footage, they don't look as good as your 4K pics though. I mostly film at 1080/60 or /45 for DS rides to limit the day into one 64G SD card, usually about 4 or 5 batteries worth. I recharge them at night and swap out the card. Then I carry along enough cards for the ride so I don't have to take along something to transfer them onto. It limits the quality but at 1080/60 or /45 I can let the camera run allot and not come home with a TB of video.
  16. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    RF

What is your preference for gearing on the 500 for these types of rides? Also, do you have specific tires you favor for these elements?

Do you re-spring your 500 for luggage or just crank up the pre-load?

Last year while riding around in UT (~1000 miles) I felt like the 14/48 gearing on my 500 was fine but a 15/48 might have been better for a more relaxed rpm at speed on some of the open areas. Key would be knowing how riding the rocky ATV trails at high elevation would be impacted with a 15/48. I too was getting near 60 mpg which does add some range to the 4.1 Acerbis.

btw, those pics I pulled and displayed above were from 1080p. I'm sure yours would be perfect.
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Fast, before the ride 3 of us put on Kenda K760 back tires on. I knew it was a cheap tire we'd burn through. @ $50 a tire with a life of about 1000 miles of running them pretty hard I'm happy with their life, no flats.

I ran 14/48 gearing also, it worked well as a mix between some of the rocky bits and the open trails and the pavement we had to do. If there was much more road I would have put a 49 rear on.

I really don't do anything the prep the rear suspension, I bumped up the preload a turn on the front though. We packed kinda light and I've restrung the bike up to the next higher spring rate at both ends. Overall it felt good, a little heavy in the front when I was in deep sand but otherwise it scooted around pretty well. :D
    Fast1 likes this.
  18. boydracing

boydracing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing this trip with us Ride Freak. I just PM'd you for more info. Thanks again!
  19. DirtyJohnny

DirtyJohnny BR 549 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks RideFreak and everyone else that has contributed to this thread! Definitely on my bucket list.:clap
  20. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing the photos and the story! I've ridden almost all of the GWT in the summer of '16. By far the best ride I've had a chance to do to date!

Loved your photos!