Once Upon A Time In The West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RideFreak, Jan 28, 2018.

1. DustyKnobs

DustyKnobs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a love-hate reaction to RideFreak's ride reports, and this one is no exception.
    Thank you, RF... and dang you, RF.
    Thank you for reminding me of the experiences still remaining on my bucket list... and dang you for the same reminder. (Gee, today I think I want to be reminded of the adventurous spirit I believe I once had, but I also need my reality check for being a lazy sloth who can't seem to get away from work and commit to telling the family "see-ya, don't look for me for a week or two".)

Overall, though, I really do have to thank RF for taking the time and effort to not only document his travels, but compile an excellent report. Especially, the addition of the tracks.

When I first read this report, most of the descriptions and explanations about directions seemed as nebulous and vague as if he had handed me a sextant and said, "Keep Ursa Major to your left and Orion on the right...". Then he posted the excellent tracks, complete with gas stops, and beds! That completely changed my point of reference, allowing me to reread the post with his descriptions and story on my left monitor, and the tracks loaded in Basecamp on the right monitor. Very cool.

RideFreak, you rock. Thank you.
  2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    My pleasure DK
  3. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    I heard the GWT is really nice north of cathedral valley up towards I-70, I've not had a change to ride that section yet.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMHO. This is not a bucket list area. You can't touch it in one ride. You need to suck it up and devote several years of rides to exploring it. And many places are worth going back to several times, like the Maze Overlook and Smokey Mountain road, and countless others.
    Merfman likes this.
  5. Eastbay Dirtbag

Eastbay Dirtbag one track mind

Oddometer:
    We have ridden several areas of Utah, including Moab, on dirt bikes and dual sports. A friend invited on a Canyonlands trip promising "nothing technical" and that our dual sports would be perfect. So with visions of White Rim Trail dancing in our heads we accepted. Cue diabolical laughter soundtrack - hahahahahaha. We rode Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Beef Basin Loop including Bobby's Hole and Elephant Hill, Slickrock Trail, the HITR "other side" and more. On the plus side I was surprised that the DRZ400 and I could do it. The bigger plus is I don't have to do it again. :lol3

The HITR "other side" starts off as two-track then becomes a slickrock trail similar to Poison Spider/Golden Spike. Unlike those two trails, it occasionally drops into sand washes which aren't difficult but then you have to climb back out of the sand, sometimes up ledges. I wouldn't want to try it with a loaded DS. Since it is an out-and-back ride you could stash your luggage near the start.

There was only one big climb that I recall. It is the transition point from 2-track to rock. Some of the group had trouble with it until we aired down our tires. Vive la difference.
    [​IMG]

Great RR. It has all the goodies - route, hotel, food, gas and difficulty info, map, tracks, pics, and nicely edited video. What are the music tracks on your "Great Western Trail" video? I checked the YouTube info and only saw one listed but aren't there two?
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    You know I'm not sure on the second songs name, the copyright didn't catch it so I can't look it up that way. That's typically the only way I have aside from asking the smartphone to listen to it and tell the name Sari or Shazam or something similar. The working file was deleted.
  7. Mala Suerte

Mala Suerte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR, videos and music choice for the videos - I downloaded a number of the songs you used to my phone as I was watching the vids. I usually do one or two trips into Southern Utah a year and have done bits and pieces of your route. I found some areas, quite a few actually that I haven't done, yet. So it looks like I'm planning another Southern Utah trip. How have I missed Cathedral Valley? I really appreciate the GPS file, it'll make planning pretty darn simple.

As an aside, I was in Hanksville this past May. We stayed at the RV park there in town and it was completely full. So the town marches on. I totally missed the hole in the rock gas station.
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed it MS, if you have any questions on the route shoot me a PM.
    Mala Suerte likes this.
  9. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
    Westworld! I like the way you guys roll - Thanks for sharing the cool video!
  10. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Hi RF,
    I have a question regarding going over the Henry Mtns. We plan to do them starting in Hanksville , head south on Lonesome Beaver Rd, then west to Notom-Bullfrog Road.

It appears there are 3 or 4 ways to cross the mountains. Which way did you go? Do you know which is the easiest?
    It looks like the road options are:
    1. North side of Bromide basin. OSM labels it Bull Crk Pass Rd and it goes west from Wickiup Pass to Nasty Flat east of McMillan Spgs Camp.
    2. South side of Bromide basin. Labelled Nasty Flat Rd. West From Copper Ridge Rd and it meets road #1 at Nasty Flat.
    3. South of #2. Labelled Bull Crk Pass-Copper Ridge Rd-Henry Mtns Rd. Meets rd #1 west of McMillan Camp.
    4. South of #3. Labelled King Ranch road, west from The Horn. Probably the longest.

Thanks
    EBDB

20170906_113245_001-XL.jpg

P.S. Just found this from the BLM website I was trying to search the site using Safari and nothing would work. Switched to Google Chrome and voila.
    [​IMG]
    wbbnm likes this.
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did a ride like you are proposing a few years ago. Our tracks are here:

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/grand-canyon-north-loop.981366/

We started in Hanksville and took the road to Lonesome Beaver CG. We kind of wanted to take Bull Creek Pass. But it was still snowed in. So we stayed on the 14721 Wickiup Pass? road. It was a little longer trip around the mountain. We then took 14007 road down to Notam Bullfrog.

This spring we went over Bull Creek Pass. Nice view from there. We took 14400 cutoff from Nasty Flat back to the Wikiup Pass road. We stayed in the mountains since our goal for the day was to do a loop over and around the Henry's.

All of the roads we have ridden in the Henry's have been pretty easy well maintained roads.
  12. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Thank you
  13. zoo

zoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading down to ride some of these roads in april this year. Anyone have info. as to what roads I need to stay away from in these areas because of snow still lingering around into april?
  14. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Hey EBDB, thanks for asking RF :)
    I have been around the south of the Henry’s and the length of Notam Bull Frog, now I have better intel for “over the top”
  15. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    The Henry's (south of Hanksville) are going to be snowed in at the top in April, figure mid to late may before they open. I tend to look at the elevation of the track I'm taking vs the time of year, 8K' and above will all likely be the same. PM me for specifics you need anything.