One awesome bike or multiple decent bikes?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by PAULIBIKER, Jul 27, 2018.

?

One awesome bike or multiple decent bikes?

1. One bike is enough, if it's what I want.

14 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. I like having a choice, even if they are older.

75 vote(s)
    84.3%
  1. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For years I had multiple older bikes and wanted a Super Tenere ES. Well this year I sold all my decent bikes and bought one. It has not disappointed, in fact is an awesome bike. Now I kinda miss having multiple bikes.

So what do you prefer?
  2. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Multiple awesome bikes. :lol3
    51%, skydivegazoo, RedShark and 10 others like this.
  3. no

no way man no how

Oddometer:
    If I only had one bike it would be my DR650. I've pared down the fleet to three...I really wouldn't want any fewer than the three I have now. An S10 would be too heavy for a lot of stuff I like to do and I'd never be happy with it. I can still take the DR650 on long trips.
  4. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride!

Oddometer:
    Multiple bikes for different situation and riding terrains.
  5. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Multiple bikes.

The best bike for touring is a pain in city traffic. A good errand-runner is impossible to tour with.
  6. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    One awesome bike that is good at what I like to do.
    texag10 likes this.
  7. Caesars_ghost

Caesars_ghost Air Cooled.

Oddometer:
    An awesome bike in 1995 or whenever, is still an awesome bike now.

You can buy a great new bike that kinda sorta does it all, or an old one for the same thing, or multiple older ones to do everything much better, and still for less money than one brand new bike.

The only limiting factors are your garage space or the lack thereof, or possibly some must-have feature that’s only found on newer machines, like ABS or similar.
    mitchxout likes this.
  8. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    On some trails I'm glad to have a mid-sized dual-sport. Glad to have road bikes and large dual-sport for longer rides.
  9. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    What you did was precisely right. Never settle for so so when you can upgrade to awesome. Now you can leverage your position to get multiple awesome ones.
  10. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    All bikes are awesome!
  11. ericm

ericm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depending on what motorcycling I was doing at the time and my finances I've had one shit bike, one good bike or a pile of good and shit bikes.

If your current bikeage meets your needs it's the right thing for you.
    kojack06 and Vertical C like this.
  12. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Within the parameters of being able to budget for either one awesome bike or multiple decent bikes:

I personally would opt for multiple decent bikes because I enjoy a wide variety of riding venues/styles. However if my riding interests had a more narrow focus I'd opt for one awesome bike.
    kojack06 likes this.
  13. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    :dealN+1
    yamty175 and Dtx915 like this.
  14. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    The only reason I have two dirt bikes is that I can’t afford three. I never ride pavement anymore. My Versys just takes up space.

Piston
    David4 and kojack06 like this.
  15. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bikes are all awesome even if they aren't the latest and greatest models. Down to 4 at the moment and that's probably the idea number for me.
  16. ddavidv

ddavidv So money, but doesn't know it.

Oddometer:
    Depreciation is your friend, if you allow it.
    ZappBranigan and curtis6870 like this.
  17. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Only like one thing? I find riding hard on back roads a blast, but it takes a bit of horsepower, so the 650 is the go to for the "joe supermoto" days, but after riding a 250 dual sport, it was a "have to have one" for the days playing on dirt/gravel and some off road. If I ever get back to doing some longer street riding one fun street bike may be needed to carry the luggage.

Interesting when one gets so into the dual sports that it splits then too. My brother went smaller, 650->230 because when he rode street it was his street bike and the 250 did everything for the back road play. I did the 650 for another few years until I test rode the KLX250 my brother bought, the bike was near me so I was his "eyes" for the bike. He wanted a bit more guts than the 230 had. I realized it was perfect within the first few hundred feet down the gravel drive.

Sure, a 650 or even a 1250 might be able to do what the 250 does, but not near as mentally/physically easy in the process.

I find what I wanted actually doesn't come in the newer high tech bikes. So I've found what I see as awesome in a couple bikes that are closing in on being able to run historic vehicle plates. They run well enough to ride a normal day with anything made today. So I don't require the latest and greatest... until they make something I really like.
    mitchxout, Jud and Grinnin like this.
  18. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    I often struggle with the 320 Lb DRZ on rocky uphills and keeping it on-track through water when the invisible bottom is mud and rocks. There is no way I could get through on the OP's Super Tenere ES at 584 Lbs dry. That's a 260 Lb difference.

The answer, of course, is to simply choose other places to ride. Thus multiple bikes.
  19. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    I thinkyou wrote the closing sentence incorrectly. It should be:

The answer, of course, is to simply choose another bike when riding will take you to those places. Thus multiple bikes. Otherwise you have to ride other places... and miss the fun.

Of course the places you mentioned can be a struggle even on a trials bike in some cases. We do tend to push our limits no matter what we're on, don't we?
    Grinnin likes this.
  20. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    That's one way to say it.

What I meant is that with only 1 bike, people will choose to ride places where that 1 bike can go OK. So multiple bikes opens up more areas.