One Bike For The Rest Of Your Life!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rick G, Jun 16, 2017.

1. rystjohn

rystjohn KLR slut

Oddometer:
    I haven't owned a TON of bikes but my KLR is the first bike I've felt can truly do anything I ask of it and that gives me confidence riding. It is comfortable enough, insanely easy to maintain, has great community and aftermarket support, not too heavy, and it didn't cost me an arm and leg to purchase or farkles. Which also translates to me having more fun pushing it because I'm not worried about the cost of fixing any screwups.

If I never bought another bike for the rest of my life (hopefully that's a ways off ) I'd be quite fine with that. [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Bors, thechief86, Kymtnman and 4 others like this.
  2. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    The OP here. Though I started this thread, and stated that my current steed I could live with for the rest of my life, I never really said "Why". So here goes.

Here is my current lust as I bought her:

[​IMG]

4 years later, I have tastefully turned it into what I call my Beemer Roadster.

[​IMG]

She clicks all the boxes for me. She is beautiful to look at. She wasn't super popular so you don't see one every where you go like my old GS. She is all day comfortable. Handles great especially with the upgraded Ohlins suspension. Sounds nice with the Remus exhaust Can. Has great luggage which detaches easily. Has nearly 100 HP and 80 lbs Torque at rear wheel giving me more power than I truly need but is very easy to manage. At 510 lbs it is relatively light for pushing around but heavy enough to not get blown around too much on the road. Being a BMW there is great aftermarket and OEM part support should I need it. As I am almost 63, I am looking at maybe 10-15 more years of riding, and if I had to do it on this bike only, I could retire from riding a happy old man!

Rick g
  3. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    This goes 100% counter to what I named as my One Forever Bike, but the older I get, the more that "all day comfortable" part is ratcheting up on my priority list. Specifically, a seat I can shift back and forth on, and plush rear suspension.
    barbas likes this.
  4. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're quite right. And I have meditated upon this at length :D

For members of my tribe of remarkably crummy riders, the Tiger 800 Roadie is perfect. It makes up for my many deficiencies, and I like the way that Triumph triple seems to drive every small yappy dog in the surrounding 3 miles nuts ("Vroom!" "YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP!" Et cetera). I do occasionaly contemplate a Street Triple (see previous note about 'vroom' and 'yips'), but it might not be as fun on the kind of crappy roads I like to embarass myself on. If I ever want to embarass myself off-road, I'll get a for-real dual sport 'cos I won't feel so bad dropping it.
  5. SmithSwede

SmithSwede Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone.

Does all that I ask. And has some kind of weird magic that makes me want to ride it. Day after day. Mile after mile.
  6. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    My wife has that same bike. I have to admit that I am happiest when riding her Guzzi... you can't help but smile on the damn little thing - great bike!

If I had to pick only one bike for the rest of time, it too would be a Guzzi... maybe a Quota.
  7. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Sportster 1200 Roadster, set up as a tourer. (Highway pegs, big windshield, oil cooler, side and top cases, solo seat with backrest, mid controls, Ironhead shocks, ABS.) Because in 20 years, I'll be able to get service and parts for a Sporty.

For my wife, her current bike: 1998 Honda Pacific Coast.
    whiskeygut likes this.
  8. RagerToo

RagerToo vroom vroom

Oddometer:
    nice sig Jarlaxle.
  9. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
  10. ianbh

ianbh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At 75, it's likely the one I'm riding now. :-)
    Ian, Iowa
    Al415 likes this.
  11. Jproaster

Jproaster I work too much Supporter

Oddometer:
    Something like:
    [​IMG]
    Or
    [​IMG]

At 55 y/o, I still want some offroad. As I age I'd be able to appreciate the styling while doing forest trail and twisty, back roads in TN, GA, Ala, and NC. Probably run trials tires on it.

Nope. Don't own one yet. Give me time...it's on the bucket list.
    davyjones and mylastbike like this.
  12. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am fairly certain my DR650 will be going to the grave with me. Love my scooter and Tiger 800 but the DR is the one that'll be there til the end.
  13. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have too much ADD to play this game. I usually don't keep a vehicle over 3 years. I know, its terrible. My NineT I've had for over three but it is now lowered and the wife's bike. XR is my current do-anything bike but I know a few years from now I will see something else.

I even tried Harley once (Softail Classic) and that relationship only lasted 4 months. I guess I'm still looking. So far I have owned BMW, HD, Honda, and Suzuki. I guess you could say I'm still looking but seem to be partial to BMW and Honda.
  14. joso

joso Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    I can't even decide for just one bike for commute...
    Patek likes this.
  15. Iliketogofast

Iliketogofast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might try KTM... I rode BMW bikes, and still have my first BMW, a K100, but after tons of issues with my only BMW dealer near me I made the switch, and I'm completely in love with my 1290 SA T. The Super Duke GT is an absolute riot, just like the R version if you like more street oriented.

There's just something about that V-twin. It hooks you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did. It is fun and I thought I wanted the GT. However, the ergos were just not right and I picked up an S1000XR instead. Same dealer here for BMW/KTM and I have never had any issues with my two-wheeled BMWs (the four wheeled varieties, that is another story.)
    Iliketogofast likes this.
  17. Iliketogofast

Iliketogofast Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I understand completely. I actually was interested in the GT, but I rode the Super Adventure just for shits and giggles(I thought it seemed too big and bulky) and holy crap I was hooked. I'm 6'2" and a big guy, and it's the most comfortable bike I've been on. I've still got bar risers and the rally pegs that I'm putting on it, but it's been great ergo wise. Enjoy that XR, I looked at those but once I rode around on the lc8 vtwin for a bit I couldn't even look at an i4 again.

I do miss my k1300s on long straight empty highways though... that thing would fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. cb200t

cb200t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would have to say my 1997 BMW K1100LT. I'm pretty infatuated with it. It's currently in hack form, but even if I had to sell the hack, I'd keep the bike.
  19. mylastbike

mylastbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That green bike is pure sex. Is that a factory color?
  20. Gonzoso

Gonzoso Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will keep my KLR indefinitely. It's the first bike I farkled heavily. I bought it new in 2012 and have 34k miles on it.

It does everything I need it to without impinging on my personal finances too much with student loans, just buying a house, saving for retirement and having a son this summer.

I've taken it on some great trips through a rough time in my life so I'm keeping it!
    RedEX, racer and rystjohn like this.