One Bike For The Rest Of Your Life!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rick G, Jun 16, 2017.

1. sshbsn

sshbsn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    klr650 for me too. in fact, before i bought it a couple years ago i was specifically IMG_1281.JPG looking for my "last bike" and price wasnt an issue, but simplicity, versatility, and comfort certainly were! must be getting old...
    thechief86, racer, davyjones and 2 others like this.
  2. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The son and I've had a number of other bikes pass through the garage and the Super Tennis Shoe stays. Had a Gen1 till a super deal came along on this nearly new Gen2 and may move to the Gen3 bike eventually.

The one bike has run fast backroads to the edges of the tires, towed the trailer doing a Saddle Sore 1000, great 2-up, they're reliable as bricks, low maintenance, is The Biggest DirtBike In The World (TBDBITW) in going most places offroad that I've taken the KTM 690r (when the hitch is off), and just works for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DonBenito and willfreely like this.
  3. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some of these choices don't take into account the fact that even now, parts for bikes from the same manufacturer, for bikes only 20 years old, are not available, and their bikes are thus orphaned.
    All I have to say to some of these choices, unless you are as old as I am, or close (63), is
    Parts availability?
    Computers for the bikes (ABS brakes, engine, anything)?
    I read that as part of the OP's question. There is 'want to' and 'able to'. No parts availability is the difference between the two.
  4. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    A fair concern.

It does make sense to stockpile consumables, and what-if parts like ECUs, while they are still available.

My choice of "last bike", Suzuki's evergreen DR650, is in fact a 22 year old motorcycle....insomuch that it's been in continuous production since 1996. Parts will be available for years to come, via a robust aftermarket that will enjoy custom from owners of new DRs as well as older one still in running condition (of which there will likely be many).
    Ginger Beard and rystjohn like this.
  5. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:

OP here again. Yes that was part of my concern, but I am also going on 63 so my consideration for one bike for the rest of my life would certainly be different than someone in their 20's or 30's. Perhaps my question is unfair to them and I should have put the question to us aging baby boomers.

Still a fun discussion.

Carry on...

Rick G
    tlub likes this.
  6. lake_harley

lake_harley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My "forever bike" would almost have to be my 1983 Gold Wing. It's kinda grown on me and almost makes me sad if I even consider replacing it. I've become quite comfortable with it's weight, fuel mileage is OK if not pushed above 70 MPH, my wife is comfy and happy on it, it has a cool history of me resurrecting it after it went through a tornado, it's maintenance costs are next to nothing, and if anything my primary riding style and interests have transformed into what it's pretty good at.....distance and all-round errand running.....either solo or two-up.

Lynn

Attached Files:

Ginger Beard, Tanshanomi and tlub like this.
  7. Wreckchecker

Oddometer:
    I'm going on 62 and gave up on the "Computers fail" argument years ago. Now and then one does, but it's pretty darned rare and the well proven fact is that anything mechanical or containing fluids is more likely to fail first.

In 20 years the likelihood of needing an out of production (mechanical) carb rebuild kit or plug coil will be much greater than needing a fully potted ECU computer. And the computer which fails will not be the ECU, it'll be the instrument cluster with the mechanical buttons/switches. But even then it will be years after a mechanical speedo has died. Tried buying points and a condenser for an older engine lately?
  8. YJake

YJake PAR Nation Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about this in the back of my mind for awhile now. I'm done with carbs and still want something inexpensive to repair and easy to work on/maintain. I also want it to be small and lightweight. It has too be cheap too. Did I mention that it has to be smooth on the highway and not vibrate like a paint shaker?

I've come down to this. The Versys 300x.
    IMG_3055.JPG

The bike is selling very well and the aftermarket will soon explode. I had an old Ninja 250 back in college as my beater/commuter. It was reliable as an anvil but lacked a little low end power, the stroked 300 version of it fixes that and Kawi added EFI/ABS.

-Jake
    davyjones and Tanshanomi like this.
  9. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is why I have an BMW airhead. All the above mechanical parts are still available, at the dealer, and from numerous independents as well. And many dealers (though admittedly not all) will service them.
    Plus it's part of me now. I bought it when I was 22 and am now 63. Rode it over 500 miles this weekend, just because.
    DKCJ, willfreely and Jarlaxle like this.
  10. Wreckchecker

Oddometer:
    I've had a few antique bikes, cars, and airplanes and they have their place. But progress is good, evolution has given us better bikes, and I'd rather ride than work.
    DKCJ, mylastbike and Rick G like this.
  11. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a tough one. I like lots and lots of different stuff, and have 5 in the garage and love them all. After thinking about it, I think the bike I would have would be one I dont own. It would be a Triumph Tiger 800 XCX. I rode one recently and loved it. It is sporty, comfortable enough for touring, and has a nostalgic name plate.
  12. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Depends on the bike. My wife's PC is a parts-bin bike, and has a large, dedicated following. It is also absolutely bulletproof, even by Honda standards.
  13. DennisV

DennisV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking for that bike for my entire life and I still haven't found it. Of course when you get old it just might be the one you happen to be sitting on at the moment.
    Ginger Beard, basketcase and Rick G like this.
  14. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wanted one for many years, good luck finding one that nice!
    Tanshanomi likes this.
  15. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know, right? That's why I'm vainly attempting to build a suitable substitute from scratch:

[​IMG]
  16. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    With this one till the end.
    [​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  17. DoctorMaddix

DoctorMaddix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I could get my hands on a newer DR650 in Germany that would be my first choice...:(
  18. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the link, I thought I had already replied to one of these. :beer

This was my post on Aug 15th, 2015 to your thread; "Easy, I'd do what I did in 2013 again. Take my wife out shopping with me, and buy whichever one was best compromise for us 2up. In 2013 it was our Road Glide Ultra, heck I'm even enjoying it solo too these days. Might be a Wing now, or maybe a Roadmaster, should probably be a Vision, they don't tip all the way over."

A month after that post I traded the '13 RGU for the '16 RGU we have now. :D

Soooooooo.....Easy, I'd do what I did in 2015 again. Take my wife out shopping with me, and buy whichever one was the best compromise for us 2up. In 2015 it was our Road Glide Ultra, heck I'm enjoying it more than the '13 RGU I had solo as well. Just rode a Roadmaster at Americade in June, it's off the list, as is the XCT, or Vision for obvious reasons. I'd have to decide between the new Venture, Wing, and M8 RGU right now. Just hope it doesn't ever come to that. :D

Holler at me again in a couple more years. :lol3
  19. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I have not had any complaints with my do it all Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, though 20 more horsepower would be welcome (it only has 92hp).

[​IMG]

Ducati makes the Hypermotard/Hyperststrada 939, which looks to be just that on paper, but I haven't ridden it yet.

[​IMG]
    RedEX and davyjones like this.
  20. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I been not posting my reply since this thread started because the one bike for the rest of my life don't exist unless I build it from the ground up from scratch. I ain't got the time to cast and machine my own crank cases and whatnot.