One end of the line to the other, Key West to Deadhorse on a Versys

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by XC Rider, Jun 4, 2011.

1. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
  3. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
  4. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    go 4 it :D
  5. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:

Wow! Thank you for the compliment. I'm so glad you've enjoyed my RR.

I posted this up earlier in the RR, but both tires are technically 17" rear tires; the front one being a 130 and the rear one being a 150. I was very pleased with how they worked, and in my opinion did not negatively affect the handling very much at all.

Wow Keith, that video is so cool! Thanks for posting it up. I really enjoyed the part at the end where they linked the two motorcycles together with a spot for the husky to sit/ride in! :thumb

On a side note, I've been finishing up my prep work for another run on the TAT. The departure date has been pushed back and back due to family needs, but it is pretty much now set in stone, leaving VA on September 8th or 9th. In my opinion this is really as far back as we can push it because if we wait much longer we may run into problems when trying to cross over the Rockies or Sierras! On the positive side of things though I'm hoping that since it will be nearer to fall, the temps may be cooler, scenery and colors will be spectacular, and whatever happens it will be an adventure!
  6. AirDrive

AirDrive Terminal No0b

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you've got a definite departure date for your TAT re-ride. You said ".....as far back as WE can push it..." so I assume your Dad is still going with you. I like when old guys push kids and show them how it's done..:lol3. I can almost hear my Grandson's eyes roll from here.

You've set a pretty high bar to beat ,with this report, but I'm betting you will. And with your Dad there to take care of you, you'll have a whole lot more time to take even MORE great pics and write near poetic prose!!

We'll be toughing it out in Marina a couple of days after you start out and will have a Gin & Tonic in your honor when we see your first post. :deal
  7. xmonger

xmonger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap Great ride report. It got my 5 star vote!

Thank you so much for sharing.
  8. Oldfart123

Oldfart123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Everyone is thanking you for the ride report but I'm most impressed with your kindness in replying to any and all questions. That takes patience!
    Thanks
  9. hyperboarder

hyperboarder Potato Farmer

Oddometer:
    Finally got to take a Versys for a spin yesterday. Aside from the seat (which I loathed), it was a nice machine. Smooth, quick, nimble, no complaints. Aside from the seat :D.
  10. xmonger

xmonger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need to do the board mod, just like Dennis. :D
  11. XC Rider

Oddometer:
    Yep, dad is in; we're currently on day 6 I think of this trip as I type this. All is going well so far; just had our first rain day today.

Don't drink all the gin now! I may make it out to CA and if so we'll have to see if our schedules align so we can meet up again.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Thank you, it's my pleasure. I guess I do it because this way people reading this RR see that I actually read everyone's posts and comments, and it is one of the reasons why I put in the effort to keep a live RR up to date.

Yeah, it's fun right!? You'd think that with all the smart engineers they got over there that they'd be able to design a comfy seat!? Oh well, at least this way it keeps the after market seat makers in business.

:rofl
  12. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by hyperboarder [​IMG]
    Finally got to take a Versys for a spin yesterday. Aside from the seat (which I loathed), it was a nice machine. Smooth, quick, nimble, no complaints. Aside from the seat :D

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    just a thought
    if all of the engineers are Japanese then that seat might be pretty wide and comfortable if your a 4 feet tall japanese engineer

OK back to my beer
  13. XC Rider

Oddometer:
    I've been meaning to do this for a while, but with all the travelling, I haven't had the time to sit down and put this together. Now that my travels for the year have come an end, and I have the time to sit down and think. So here's a more detailed, and hopefully appropriate, list of those people who were instrumental in making this trip as special and memorable as it was to me.

- Captain Jim and Joanne
    - Sean & Lisa
    - Jamie & and the rest of the KW crew; thanks for the send off! Wish I was back there on Boca Grand, drinking cold ones with y'all!
    - Stephen H in Foley, AL
    - Ron & Tammy in Iowa
    - Steve B & family in Kalispell, MT
    - Alan from CA (aka ajeli)
    - Gary & Josee
    - Michael L (Air Force Lodge)
    - Detlef, Simon, Olaf, & Toby, the German kayakers & their guide that I met in Carmacks.
    - Chris (aka Dr. Science)
    - Jarda & Dobra
    - Dan & Shawn from Adventure Cycleworks in Fairbanks
    - Frederick & Chris, thanks for the adventures and good times on the Dalton.
    - Nora & Harold in Anchorage
    - Jack (aka Alcan Rider)
    - Greg, Peter, & Ken, British Columbia riders in Lillooet.
    - And......ALL OF YOU! Like I've said before, you guys who read and post up on my RRs are a great source of inspiration and energy which I feed off of while on these trips.

Thanks,

Denis.
  14. gun 4 hire

gun 4 hire FTR SSR #90b

Oddometer:
    Hope you had safe travels.....Look forward to seeing more of your posts. Be good, Happy Holidays.

Steve / Key West

:clap
  15. babarnette

babarnette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this is 3 years after the completion of this RR but I just read this whole thing start to finish and I must say you did an excellent job. I spent 5 months touring Alaska on a 2009 XR650l in 2012 and I must say it was some of the best riding of my life. I now have a 2009 Versys and am looking forward to traveling to Alaska on it next year. Good luck in all your future travels!
  16. XC Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It's hard to believe it's been 3 years already! Have fun on your Alaska adventure; the Versys is a great platform to work with. If you liked this RR, you might like my upcoming RR. In 3 weeks time, I'll be flying over to the UK to pick up my more heavily modified 2012 Versys that I'll be riding all around Europe this summer (June to August). The plan is to eventually ride all around the world with this bike, one piece at a time! :deal

You can check out my bike build thread HERE.
  17. Mr&MrsErnbo

Mr&MrsErnbo Iron Butt Association No 48951

Oddometer:
    Following your dreams and riding in new places is awesome. Can't wait to read about your upcoming trip and where it takes you.
  18. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    I just spent the last two days reading this RR. Excellent photography, descriptions on locations, and narration overall. I found this RR while looking for dual sport tires that can fit on a front 17" wheel.