One lap around Thailand + or –

Discussion in 'Asia' started by canoli, Mar 10, 2010.

1. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
  2. Gorilla King

Gorilla King Dobar Skorz! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Darn...a near miss. I'll be heading home on 5/27. Too bad I sure would have been tempted to rent a scoot to ride with you for a day or two.
  3. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    No worries. I'll catch you the next time. :thumb
  4. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Canoli,

Have enjoyed your reports and would love to join you but I'll be returning from the US arriving Bangkok on May 26th... Makes it pretty tight...

Keep us posted on your plans and perhaps I might be able to catch up with you.

Ride On!

Tony
    [​IMG]
  5. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tony. Yeah it would be cutting it a bit close and I understand how bad it sucks to ride a long distance with jet lag. No worries. We should try to meet up for a beer or something once we hit town.

So... this is how it's looking. Once we get up to Chiang Mai (over night train from BK) the green line is the ideal route I would like to take into Laos. However right now my buddy who is flying in from the states to join me is having some trouble finding a bike rental shop that will allow us to cross the border. The route is about 850 miles with a good ammount of dirt roads in once in Laos.

My back up plan (red & blue lines) are the Thai loop and is about 1500 miles. I've left a good amount of room for improv just in case we decide to take it easy and not kill our selves. All in all it is going to be 5 days of riding and 2 days of train travel. Still have room if any of yall want to meet up along the way.

Also if anyone has a good line on a place to rent a cross border capeable dual sport please let me know. I've tried about 1/2 a dozen places and so far the only one to say yes seemed a bit less then legit (I could be wrong).

[​IMG]
  6. daewoo

daewoo nothing better to do

Oddometer:
    Mate, they are all a bit less than legit :rofl

Did you try Mr Beer? You won't get a dual sport, but you will get an XR/AX or a D-Tracker.

Cheers,
    Darryl
  7. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Yeah I hear that :rofl .

I did try Mr. Beer and the rest of the shops listed on GT-rider. It seems that it is too much of a hassle to do cross border stuff with a rental so we are just going to be doing the Thailand loop and pop into Laos while up in the Golden Triangle. Since my buddy normally rides a GSXR and we are going to stay on paved roads I was going to try and get him a ER6N for the week. Seems that lots of shops up there have them for rent.

You still living up there or did you head back to the mother land?
  8. daewoo

daewoo nothing better to do

Oddometer:
    Hi Canoli, sorry for the delayed response...

Unfortunately I live in Sydney with mortgage, wife and 3 kids - the whole disaster... I drop by GT-Rider for my fix of Thailand riding and dreams to keep me going until my next 2 week flat out blast...

I rode both the ER6N and the ER6F (650 Ninja) and felt infinately more comfortable on the 650 Ninja, even though they are supposed to me identical aside from the fairings... not sure if it is the different tyres (the 650F has different tyres which may because they are a newer model, or because that is how they come)... Also, in Th where speeds usually approach the criminal, I reckon a faired bike is a good idea...

Mr Beer definately has the paperwork there to take the bike across the border... maybe swing by Jonadda Guest House (on the little soi right beside Mr Beer) and have a chat to John... then slip John a few baht to go and sweet talk Mr Beer for you...

Cheers,
    Daewoo
  9. robbymilo

robbymilo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice mate... i'm planning to go there.. btw would u mind if a want to ask ur gps tracking?? :D... thank in advance

Robbymilo
  10. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Daewoo no worries. I understand that life sometimes gets in the way of what we like to do. Thanks for the info on the bikes. I'll def drop by Mr. Beer and have a chat and see what he has to say (and yep slip him a few bhat ) :evil

Robby, I use a Garmin 60CX with the SE Asia maps. However I do not use it as my only means of planning and finding my routes. The GT-Rider maps are spot on but they dont cover every place that I want to go. So I use those, the "Think Net" maps that I picked up at a local gas station, my GPS, Google Maps (to send my friend the KML file to go over), the Lonley Planet guides and I think one more book for Laos. When I put it all together and mix in some beer and conversation with a local hotel owner I can usually get to where I want.:rofl

[​IMG]
  11. robbymilo

robbymilo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bro.. Thank u for the info, for me this forum really good for brain-storming.
    Combining local maps+conversation with local=great adventure.. wow..
  12. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Well it looks like my buddy has decided to go on vacation elsewhere (between last night's events and the official US travel warning today I can't imagine why..).

But I still would like someone to travel with. Any of yous guys feel like meeting up and helping me out with the Pooey relay? If not for the whole thing, at least for a day or so... :deal
  13. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canoli - My eye's have been distorted by too many late nights so not sure if you're planning riding from Huay Xai to Lam Nam Tha in Laos like it looks but that rode is under re-construction currently. Initally when it was surfaced in 2007 it was fantastic. Alas a few rainy seasons have undermined the Lao/Chinese ci\onstruction abilities literally and figurativjly. So you may want a reroute. Possibly Huay Xai to Pak Beng then north if you're comfortable on dirt roads.

As Daewoo posted (hey there D- :D ) bikes to cross borders are available its just that most vendors refrain to commit to it via email etc. it should be possible to show up in Chiang Mai and get a bike from a vendor, ie Pops, Mr. Mechanic etc. if you're cordial and reside in BKK with ID.

Best of luck.
  14. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I see the dirt road on the GT rider map you are talking about and my worry was that the rain would wash away that route, but if you think that even in the slop it would be better then RT 3 then I'll take your word for it. However.. with all the travel warnings and crap, my buddy dropped out of the trip and making this epic on/off road trip solo in 7 days might be a bit much. Thinking I am going to have to make a short version and keep it in Thailand for this year.

EDIT:
    After talking with Canoli Wife it seems that we figured something out. She is going to meet me in Khon Kaen then we will ride 13 north to Vang Vieng. Do some hiking etc.. for a couple of days then ride back into Thailand. Looks like the north country will have to wait for another day.