One last KTM build

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by ktmtraveler, Nov 20, 2019.

1. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One beautiful rig. Thanks a bunch for posting it.
    draperg1 and ktmtraveler like this.
  2. Miggins1

Miggins1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is beautiful!
  3. We're Here

We're Here Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I envy you being able to visit your rig build. I was only able to visit with Rainer at Ruko once. Exciting to see the build process.

R12RS_Shark (71).jpeg
    Flyin' Monkeys and ktmtraveler like this.
  4. ktmtraveler

ktmtraveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @we’re here

Yeah, it’s real neat to see the build process. During the build I have a lot of contact with Ad from LBS. The big picture is known beforehand, but lots of details change during the build. So, it’s an adventure.

That rig of yours seems like a big adventure too! Wow, that front fork is really something! How did it turn out?
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  5. We're Here

We're Here Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ktmtraveler, Rig is everything that I had hoped for, a high performance sidecar.

DSC_0026.jpeg IMG_2086.jpeg
  6. ktmtraveler

Oddometer:
    doynebruner and motocopter like this.
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    @ktmtraveler ...very nice build. I'm looking forward to receiving my Leading Link frontend from Ad so I can complete my Adventure rig.

7F0B94FF-082F-4599-BB65-D09778540828.jpeg
  8. ktmtraveler

Oddometer:
    Looking great. I’m sure the Leading Link will be good. Have a nice time with that Adventure rig.
  9. ktmtraveler

Oddometer:
    After finishing almost all details of the bike and the hack, the two halves got sticked together.

Ad sends me two pictures.
    bf4226ae-7140-425e-931f-3b3cc2bf860c.jpg

c8dd4593-6797-441a-9f88-20d724627c72.jpg

And then an invitation to come by and make a test ride.

For sure that's irresistible for me. Jan doesn't want to ride that boring stretch once again. OK, I'm fine going alone. But when I suggest to take one of the grandkids with us, he immediately gets enthusiastic. He is a very dedicated granddad, who cannot say 'No' to the youngsters and spoils them terribly. He's their "Opa Motor" and even takes a day off and goes to their school when one of them has a "show-and-tell" about motorbikes.

One of Jan's three granddaughters wants to join us. OK, come along, girl!

During the drive of about an hour we talk about all kinds of stuff. Jan plays some early studio recordings of the famous Fleetwood Mac album Rumors and we explain to the girl what an Early Take is and talk a bit about music, school, parenting, and how we grew up and the difference with nowadays. The almost 11 year old granddaughter is pretty 'beyond her years' and I like talking with her.

Back to sidecars. The second most fun side-issue in life.

As soon as the granddaughter sees my hack, she climbs the bike. She grew up with our bikes and loves them. Feels totally confident.

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2366.jpg

When I just had my 950 hack, she and her little brother were really small. Very nice to see those pics.

793fd5ed-29ee-4be7-8ecf-14eeaa10515d.jpg

Ad asks her if she wants a ride. Silly question. That's what she came for.

OK, girl, hop in. I'll hold your purse.

Thanks, Opa!

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

Happy girls.

I ride around the parking lot and then hand over the bike to Ad. He goes around the parking lot flying the sidecar with the granddaughter. Now that’s fun!

The granddaughter is thrilled. She really likes my sidecar. It feels totally natural to ride it. It feels like Jan's 1290, but lighter.

Ad needs to add some details, like a steering damper. He bought me a very elegant Ohlin steering damper that isn't really visible from the outside.

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

He polishes the bike it to perfection. He is not totally convinced with the looks and details, but he is a perfectionist, always aiming for 120%. I know he is like that and give him carte blanche to add details to his liking. He discusses details with me and it hardly ever occurs I disagree with him.

A few days later a German journalist comes to do a photoshoot for a German sidecar magazine. I know this guy. Originally he is a dentist and if he is half as precise with his root canals as with his sidecar pictures, he is a very good one too. He brings a broom to wipe away little pieces of gravel on the road. According to him the gravel " sieht komisch aus" on a photo. And he has a cloth to wipe away invisible-to-me stains. It takes hours before he is content with the pictures. I look forward to meeting him again, though I need to reschedule some work appointments.

The day of the photoshoot is about the hottest day this year so far. It will be about 85F, which we overhere think is pretty hot. I take Jan's 1290 hack to ride to Ad.

Today two bikes are modeling for the photoshoot. A BMW K1600T six cilinder with a Stepler sidecar and mine.

IMG_2438.jpg

Together with Jan's 1290 and the red and white Stepler of Ludo-the-Stepler-guy it makes very pretty quadruplets.

IMG_2421.jpg

We ride off to find a nice photoshoot spot and Ludo takes some action pics.

6F1D4395-D4F3-486E-ABAE-4C648F25ACDD.jpg

9FD175AA-46B6-4DDA-BC44-954AC90339AB.jpg

7056AC80-2352-420B-9065-60C8A23118F2.jpg

The photographer brought a model/monkey. A very nice German lady, who never was a hack monkey before. She had a good time.

I eventually will receive all pictures the journalist has made. But not yet. So I post some pics Ludo made of the shoot.

7BF66961-4371-4B2C-8B2B-337FC93F1CC7.jpg

65678064-0B07-42A2-A9E5-D7491B0FB3F0.jpg

F9DBA8F6-8C98-487C-809D-82D888A292FD.jpg

Now where's the @#$& bike??

IMG_3227.jpg

View attachment 2353520

View attachment 2353521

View attachment 2353522

Back at LBS we all talk a little (about motorbikes... who knew?) and five hours after I arrive I ride back home on the 1290. Don't know when the article will be published. I hope they put my rig on the cover, like our three rigs before.

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

We'll see. I won't ask, that would be a little pushy.

Ad will work the whole evening to get my bike and the Stepler ready for inspection by the Road Authority the next day. I would have liked to join him, but I gotta work.

Because of the Coronavirus restrictions Ad has to wait outside the test facilities. He gets a bit nervous, because he cannot see what they are doing with his kiddies. He has to do some minor changes: He needs to remove the jerrycan setup from my bike. That is an obstacle according to the inspector and potentially dangerous. Ad removes it and will reinstall afterwards. The inspectors know that and it's no problem. The bikes just need to be within regulations for the inspection and what we do afterwards is our problem. In Dutch we call that a "wax nose"; a sham. On the Stepler he needs to add a light. That's it. After those minor adjustments both hacks are approved.

Ad texts me that evening to tell the approval is OK. Then two days of complete silence.

I am pretty patient, but on Friday night I text him to ask if he needs to do a lot of work on the bike. And if he knows when I can pick it up.

I get back a big smiley. Then nothing.

After some time (seems ages):

“Yes, I know."

After another half age:

“Tomorrow."

Isn't that just mean?

And then after some more time:

“I have another surprise for you"

I didn't sleep very well that night. Felt like Christmas Eve.

The next morning I climb in the 1290 sidecar. Jan rides. For yet another time the boring piece of Dutch flat non curvy road with the ten roundabouts. I think we rode that stretch a hundred times. Especially Jan, for he worked on an assignment a few months down that same road. It's a 80 kph road and we normally ride a bit faster than that.

Ad is busy in his workshop and lets me guess what surprise he meant. I see two different things.

First: a tiny little satellite light on the left high beam. It was needed because of regulations. But I like it, so I leave it there. It's like a little moon orbiting Earth. One small step for men...

Adjustments.jpg

The other one is the sticker we already talked about on the big white surface at the left side of the sidecar.

Adjustments.jpg

Ad asks me if I see what he did there.

Yeah, I see he put "LBS" on the sticker. That's too obvious, he tells me with a big smile. Now I suspect that there's something special with it.

I don't see it. Ad has to rub my nose in it:

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Pretty subtle, Ad.

On the ride home I suspect the speedometer is wrong. Maybe because of another size wheel? I ride over 110kph on the boring 80kph road. It feels like a turtle tempo. I swing the bike over the ten roundabouts like a pro, which I'm not. I am very disappointed there's no more roundabouts and that we are back home after 45 minutes.

I ask Jan about the speed.

"You went way too fast. I expect the first speeding ticket in a few days."

Speedometer was right.

Ad built an other way too smooth sidecar rig.

Now it's in our garage. I can see it from my spot at the dinner table.

Best view ever.

IMG_2445.jpg
  10. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread @ktmtraveler! As I've said before, this new hack turned out really nice.
    klaviator likes this.
  11. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where's the Drool emoji -- Nice
    ktmtraveler likes this.
  13. ktmtraveler

Oddometer:
    Ruko in Germany made this one. Bet it rides smooth.
    motocopter likes this.
  14. ktmtraveler

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I’m real happy with it. Now I wanna make some miles and be even happier!
    motocopter likes this.
  15. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    @klaviator you'll want to check out this thread. Be forewarned, you might come away with a wanting your own hack! :lol3
    ktmtraveler likes this.
  16. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Without a doubt some cool stuff in this thread. While I see the advantages of hacks, I love to lean too much to convert from two wheels.
    ktmtraveler and motocopter like this.
  17. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having ridden an XS1100 with a Vetter sidecars many years ago, I thought the same thing. But as hacks get cooler looking, and age creeps into us, hacks are an option. Besides it's been shown how much stuff can be carried on a hack! :lol2
    ktmtraveler and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  18. doynebruner

doynebruner n00b

Oddometer:
    Wonderful build, congratulations!
    Sidecarjohn likes this.
  19. ktmtraveler

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  20. ktmtraveler

Oddometer:
    Right, @motocopter, so many advantages! And sidecar riding is fun, for sure.
    For all ages. Makes me feel younger each year.

@klaviator I know what you mean, but what about leaning like this:

IMG_3202.jpg
    IMG_3210.jpg